Im rubbish :(

Options
I can't get the motivation too exercise i cant do pull ups, sit ups or whats those ones called where you lay down n lift ya head up? My back just wont do it :(

Any exercises for a beginner??

---

Replies

• Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Start off by going walking, a walk around the block can turn into a 5k run :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Walking, Side twist with the lower half of your body firmly facing forward, squats, Jumping jacks, jogging in place. Leg lifts to the front, back and side.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    I do these if my back is sore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqMf3dae_M
  • KimBledsoe
    Options
    As long as you move a little bit in the beginning that helps. Most people aren't going to sign up for a marathon today and run one tomorrow, unless they're ready. Running a marathon requires a ton of training, your body has to build up to it. The same thing goes for exercise...start small, build endurance and then increase your exercise. :smile: Try walking first. Hope that helps!
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    One step at a time and everyday you will improve.

Dont worry about push ups or situps just yet. Start by walking. Increase your time/distance a little everyday.

You will get there. chin up
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    just walk! get the best shoes you can and walk. Do it little by little building slowly. Dont worry about the toning exercises just yet just walk. If thats a problem then aqua aerobics might be for you cardio combined with toning and its loads of fun.
  • hariceri
    Options
    you aren't rubbish. I cant do pull ups, but then I never have been able to. I think you have to have massive upper body strength and/ or a really low body weight to do more than a couple of them. Sit ups get easier really quickly once you get going with them.

Maybe try doing a bums legs and tums aerobics type class to start off with then you aren't on your own doing it, like in the gym. Yes there will be fit skinny women bopping around easily but I guarantee you there will be other there in the same situation, finding it just as hard. (I always find that having mini competitions with other people with out them knowing, watching what they are doing and make sure I do a couple more, :wink: ) But then I am rather sad. lol One thing to remember is that form is better than quantity. Do your exercise correctly to start off and get the right muscles working rather than doing loads with bad form and hurting yourself.

Go for it, and it will get easier gradually, and by gradually I mean within the first couple of months as long as you stick ast it :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    swimming, dancing, walking what ever you fancy that gets you moving!

good luck on your journey!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Walking, swimming if you so wish...but little bit at a time and build up...Good luck, you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • vstarcher
    Options
    First, you are not rubbish. You are just beginning. Give yourself some time. Check out Walk away the pounds with Leslie Sansone. These are great beginning exercise videos. Don't let the title fool you, you will be working up a sweat :)
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    Do what you can. Start with walking, or stairs, or whatever you can do. You will eventually work your way into the other exercises.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    GOOD QUESTION!! Just MOVE!! Anything and Everything you do burns calories...start Laughing your A** off! Cook a big healthy meal and sweat it up in the kitchen! Shadow box while watching TV (Biggest Loser tip from last night!), start walking..even in place..walk 50 steps today..55 tomorrow..60 the next day..
  • DancingPixie
    DancingPixie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I bit the bullet and went to zumba and loved it !!! RECOMMENDED!!!!
  • JWruns
    JWruns Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    start by just going out for walks. realize that's pleasant just to be outside moving and enjoying nature. don't even think of it as exercise. if exercise is work, you won't do it. find something you enjoy doing. you definitely don't need to start with pushups!! just walk! :)
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    I can't do pull-ups either, but that is a fitness goal of mine. It'll come in time as I build upper body strength and drop excess fat.

Any sort of movement is better than being sedentary. Start slowly. Your body and joints have to get used to the stress of exercise. Start with a leisurely walk or light aerobics (as silly as they seem, I absolutely love Richard Simmons' Sweating to the Oldies videos. Especially the disco one).

Take it easy and build up. You are not rubbish!