Yogurt, yes or no?

Options
From what I have seen, most yogurt contains so much sugar… yet, so many people love it as a good-for-you food.

I like to use Fage non-fat Greek yogurt sweetened with stevia and together with fruit… or I use it as a sandwich spread, plain. Even the flavored Fage yogurts have a lot of sugar.

I’d love to hear some thoughts/suggestion on types of yogurt …and if you think it’s a healthy food.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarasotatim
    Options
    Hey :)

I used to eat it 2 or 3 times a week, but have adopted the "Eat like a Caveman" philosophy wherever possible, getting rid of the processed stuff. Like so many things, they advertise and promote it as uber-healthy, when yeah, like you said it's full of sugar and preservatives usually..I haven't had any in months since that realization :)
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I stay away from yogurt. Too much sugar and processed chemicals. If you really want it. go with a low fat plain yogurt and add fressh fruit on your own.
  • missjboone
    missjboone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Someone told me yesterday that they take one tablespoon of Nestle's sugar free hot chocolate mix and stir it into plain greek yogurt (which I love anyway). It makes it semi pudding-y! I've yet to try it, but its on my list!!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's great for the vajay-jay, but other than that I'm skeptical about the magical powers it has. It's low calorie and enjoyable to eat though. I don't think the sugar is a problem either. That's just MO. Enjoy!
  • Starrotts
    Options
    i have quit using any kind of fake sugar it will kill u...i do eat yogurt and will keep doing so:heart:
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Is the sugar from the fruit, or is it added sugar? Just curious, as I love yogurt. I have a major sweet tooth and it satisfies it. Thought that was a great alternative, and I use it as a calcium source. Now I'm starting to get a little bummed out!
  • juliedb22
    juliedb22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Shop around a little and look at the sugar in them.
    Also try looking at some of the kids yogurt. They advertise, no sugar or low sugar, for kids.
    You can have a little sugar a day... about 15 grams.
    You should stop using any kind of sugar substitutes... they will kill you.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I don't eat yogurt(don't like it), but my kids do. I always assumed the sugar was a natural sugar from the milk. I'll read the labels closer next time.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I have 100-150g of fat-free plain yogurt most mornings with my muesli. Mine is 55 calories for 100g so that really doesn't break the bank.

I don't buy sweetened yogurts, cos I don't really like the taste of them.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yogurt has its good points, BUT you can get the benefit of the enzymes by taking probiotics. No sugar that way. If you hate taking a pill but want the benefits of probiotics, then sure, yogurt is a way to go. Personally, I'd rather just take the probiotic.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Every day; at least one container. Add some raw oatmeal and call it good!
  • MayaPapaya64
    Options
    I eat either Oikos or Fage 0% fat plain yogurt, so there's no added sugar or weird gelatenous fruit mix. I like it because I don't really get enough protein if I don't eat it (I don't generally do meat).

Then, depending on what I'm feeling, I'll add to it. If I'm being really healthy, I'll just add cinnamon. Sometimes cinnamon and faux sugar.

Today I added a tsp of cocoa powder and a packet of fake sugar for a choco fix.

Also great with fruit or honey. Kinda wanna try adding a tbsp of coconut milk to it.

OH and canned pineapple mixed in is freaking out of this world.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I don't know what yogurt is causing all this negative sugar hype in the US (I believe its fit and light by Yoplait but could be wrong) but the low-fat yogurts here in Canada i.e. Source or Silhouette have only 35 calories per 100g serving and 2-3g of sugar. That’s less than a piece of fruit!!!!

Sux that you have to resort to gummy Greek yogurt that’s 4x the price to avoid sugar.

Put those on your shopping list and come to Canada. I have my Cherry Coke Zero, Yoplait Black Forest cake (and all the others) and a bunch of other stuff on my USA list – lets trade groceries!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You can buy plain regular yogurt that's not Greek yogurt. Then add your own fruit. Additionally, if the price is prohibitive, you can make your own in the crock pot. Google "crock pot yogurt recipe" and you'll find lots of results. You just have to buy some yogurt at the store to use as a starter.
  • dayh1ker
    dayh1ker Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make my own, a half gallon at a time. There's nothing in it but milk...whole raw milk at that. It's SO much cheaper than the stuff you buy in the store and SO much better for you. If you want greek yogurt, all you do is drain some of the whey out of it. But the whey is protein, so I eat it as is. Mix it with fruit, use it as salad dressing with a Simple Organics mix, use it in place of buttermilk in recipes, etc. Yes, the whole milk has more calories, but I prefer to eat foods in their whole form than ones that have been adulterated. Sort of the caveman approach. I just have to watch some of the other things I eat so I stay within my caloric range.

I highly recommend the Yogourmet yogurt maker. I've been using it for years and it does a great job.
  • eric_hargrave
    Options
    Yes - Scientific studies have shown that eating a high diary diet helps you to lose weight more quickly. This is because the calcium in the dairy bonds to fat molecules in the stomach, making it harder for the body to digest and it is therefore excreted. In a BBC study, they found feeding someone a high dairy, low fat diet such as low cal yogurts, cottage cheese and milk, meant they excreted 3 times more fat than someone on a normal diet. On average, the high diary eater excreted just over 5gms of fat a day. Not much until you add it up over a year and then it makes a big difference.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    plain greek yogurt with organic honey.
    nutricious and delicious!

(but watch out on sugar intake- not too much honey)
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt and go with light and fit diabetic carb control one, it only has 2 g sugar and tastes great. It is only at certain stores, where I live the Meijers and Jewels carry it:) My mother in law is a diabetic and turned me to it it is sooo good:)

Alisha
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Pick a healthy yogurt and if it's not plain, check what it's sweetened with and how much.

For me right now in my weight loss process, yogurt is a MUST! It calms my upset tummy first thing in the morning and holds me to lunch unlike anything else I've tried. After I get better hold of my eating and weight, I may drop it though I doubt it right now.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I only eat organic yogurts, sacrificing what the extra calories maybe. Yoplait Light has an artificial sweetener so I avoid it. I look for live active cultures and recognizable ingredients.

Stonyfield Farm Oikos nonfat greek yogurt is great.