First day of fasting...

Options
(Fasting for Ramadan - religion. Not to lose weight).

First day of fasting was really hard, i'm not going to lie. The workday wasn't too bad because I was at my desk and occupied, but when I got home at 4:30p and still had 3.5 hours left of fasting, I thought I was going to die from starvation. I tried to keep myself busy by coloring with Lilliana, then playing in her room, then hanging out on the couch, but when I looked at the time it was only 6p. Sal was in his music room cleaning it out so Lilliana and I went in there and played Singstar. :laugh: That passed another hour and the last hour was like misery. I was pretty much counting the seconds.

Finally it was time to eat. I had a glass of orange juice, a plate of pasta with meat sauce and 2 slices of garlic dead and felt like I was going to explode. I had the worst headache ever! I took some medicine for the headache, chilled for a little bit and then Lilliana and I went to bed.

The bad news is that I don't think i'm going to be able to exercise much this month. I thought I would be able to a little after dinner, but it was so hard to even move after I ate dinner.

I just hope that this one month goes by and doesn't knock me off track.

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    (Fasting for Ramadan - religion. Not to lose weight).

First day of fasting was really hard, i'm not going to lie. The workday wasn't too bad because I was at my desk and occupied, but when I got home at 4:30p and still had 3.5 hours left of fasting, I thought I was going to die from starvation. I tried to keep myself busy by coloring with Lilliana, then playing in her room, then hanging out on the couch, but when I looked at the time it was only 6p. Sal was in his music room cleaning it out so Lilliana and I went in there and played Singstar. :laugh: That passed another hour and the last hour was like misery. I was pretty much counting the seconds.

Finally it was time to eat. I had a glass of orange juice, a plate of pasta with meat sauce and 2 slices of garlic dead and felt like I was going to explode. I had the worst headache ever! I took some medicine for the headache, chilled for a little bit and then Lilliana and I went to bed.

The bad news is that I don't think i'm going to be able to exercise much this month. I thought I would be able to a little after dinner, but it was so hard to even move after I ate dinner.

I just hope that this one month goes by and doesn't knock me off track.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    good luck, keep your heart in the right place with the fast and it won't knock you off track:smile:
  • lina1131
    Options
    good luck, keep your heart in the right place with the fast and it won't knock you off track:smile:

Thank you, this is very true. I need to stop focusing on how hungry I am and focus on why I am fasting. :heart:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

2 slices of garlic dead and felt like I was going to explode.

lol, garlic dead. good luck with the rest of your fast :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I've heard the local Subway has put a APB out on ya, Lina. :laugh:

Good luck, girlie! :flowerforyou:
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

2 slices of garlic dead and felt like I was going to explode.

lol, garlic dead. good luck with the rest of your fast :flowerforyou:

freudian slip? LOL i heard garlic bread can be deadly :noway:
  • lina1131
    Options
    Garlic dead :laugh: I felt like I was dead after eating the bread! :bigsmile:
  • iluvmy2kids2
    Options
    We fast at the beginning of every first Sunday for 24 hours. It used to be very hard for me to do too! I think your mind set and your body just have to get used to it, plus you have to keep in mind why your doing the fast in the first place. Good luck!
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't keep Ramadan but I do have my own religious fast days throughout the year. What I've found helps is the following:

1. Cut out caffeine otherwise you get a withdrawl headache when you are fasting.
    2. Cut out salt and sugar. If you are fasting everyday however, you probably need sugar after the fast to bring back your glucose level.
    3. Eat complex carbs before the fast as they sustain you longer.
    4. Drink lots of water before the fast.

If you eat a small meal after the fast - something like orange juice and a slice of whole wheat toast with some peanut butter or jam, then wait at least 30 minutes before eating anything else. This allows your glucose levels to return to normal and may prevent that glucose rush headache. Also, don't drink too much too fast or you'll get a stomach ache. Try drinking some hot tea with a little milk and sugar. Since it's hot you can't drink it fast so it gets the fluid back into your body more gradually. Try eating a little more after the first 30 mins and try to eat small snacks throughout the evening.

Hope this helps.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Good luck hun, I know you can do it! Plz report back in and let us know how it's going, especially if you need any support! :flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Good luck.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice and encouragement!!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck.

I am unfamilar with fasting for Ramadan, so these may seem like a silly questions: Are you able to chew gum? Sometime chewing gum helps me to not focus so much on being hungry...Is all food restricted until evening? Can you eat a solid breakfast?
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    best of luck Lina honey!!! I know you will get through this and the first few days will most likely be the hardest....I'm rooting for you pretty girl!!! :flowerforyou:

hugs!
    Ali