What do you all think??

Options
I can't stand Jillian Michaels but a friend posted this from her about fixing metablosim:

"Okay, here's the game plan: First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight. (For example, my weight is 117; 117 x 12 = 1,404 calories a day.) Then stick like glue to that calorie allowance for at least one to two months, depending on your metabolism. This will allow your body time to readjust your metabolic set point accordingly."

If I did this I would be eating over 3,000 calories and for me it seems like I would put on way more weight then it would be worth.

Replies

• sarasotatim
    Options
    Yeah NOONE will get healthier eating 3000 calories a day in my opinion, unless you're countering half of that with exercise.....something isn't right about that lol
  • traceytoo
    Options
    That would mean I have to eat 1900 calories a day .. I would never lose weight on that .. !!!!
  • DanL66712
    Options
    As much as I would like to eat 2484 calories a day...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I saw that equation discussed on MFP previously. Don't remember the thread but anywhere from 8-12 depending on how active you are. If you are 250 lbs try eating 2000 calories (that's 8) or just follow MFP if it sounds too high for you at that weight.

The equation works for me, I’m 5’8, 138 lbs = 1656 cals on active days and 1104 on non-active days (though I do eat 1200 as recommended as the minimum).
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    162 * 12 = 1944
    1940 is maintenance for me, I can't imagine how I'd "fix" my metabolism eating over maintenance.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It sounds like this is more for maintenance than for losing weight.
  • kabullard
    Options
    It sounds like this is more for maintenance than for losing weight.

I agree....my daily calorie goal is 1,200 to lose 2 lbs a week....with this equation you gave, I'd be eating 1,800 calories a day.....
  • jqf2
    jqf2 Posts: 18
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think the immediate goal is for weightloss because it says "fixing" metabolism, but for me I would probably gain at least 10-15 pounds and that weight might come off real quick when I cut calories again but I don't think I would be any further ahead.
  • peadarorodaigh
    Options
    Maybe if it was 12 calories per pound of LEAN bodyweight....after all you only need to feed the useful parts of you, not the fat.

Not that fat doesnt have its uses.....but you know what I mean :-)
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My weight loss was stagnant over the course of January eating around 1,800 calories a day. This formula puts me at 2,376 (198 * 12). I have been doing Beachbody's Insanity the last week which gives me a calorie burn around 550 a day for six days a week. I have been eating more around 2,400 calories a day and my weight is starting to consistently tick down each day again. It really might depend on your activity level.