Heart rate monitor/calorie counter question

Options
I have a question - I just got a heart rate monitor and it has a function where you can count the calories you burn while exercizing. I ran the other day and it said I burned 500 calories in 31 minutes. I know my pace was somewhere around a 10 minute mile and on the site it says calories burned for that pace and distance is about 300. Which is right?

Thanks!

Replies

• rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    Depending the type of heart rate monitor you have (best is the one with a chest strap) go by the monitor as they are usually the most accurate.
  • brandimartin02
    Options
    You might need to set you resting heart rate, height and weight on your watch to have the most accurate count.
  • steampunkgirl
    Options
    I don't have a monitor yet but I am looking to get one. believe your heart rate monitor is going to be more accurate because it takes into account your heart rate. You will burn more calories the more effort it takes you to work. On here its just a broad general perhaps average?? I would be curious to see if you burn fewer calories in say 3 months or 6 months if you continue to improve your fitness...
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree..a chest strap is one of the most accurate ways to calculate calories burned. I have a polar ft4 and I love it
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Your calorie reading sounds similar to mine. I've been eating calories based on my hrm reading and I'm down another lb this week.
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and I love it!! It gives accurate readings and you don't even feel the chest strap.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yes, make sure your HRM has a chest strap! the watch only type are not as reliable.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and I love it!! It gives accurate readings and you don't even feel the chest strap.

True, I was worried about having to wear that strap when I got mine, but honestly I don't even feel it.
  • kirstengirl
    Options
    I would be curious to see if you burn fewer calories in say 3 months or 6 months if you continue to improve your fitness...

I am curious about that too.

Thanks everyone for the replies!
  • SalsaFaye1983
    Options
    I just bought a CardioSport GO 35. It should arrive next week..... I couldn't afford a Polar one so hope this will be good enough. Does anyone here have a GO 35?