Put Down That Diet Soda!!!!!

Options
Hey everyone, just some articles while I'm bored and stuck at work today with this stupid snow storm.

ENJOY!

Contrary to popular belief, people who drink diet sodas are actually more likely to become overweight than people who don't. A recent long-term study has shown that normal-weight subjects who consumed diet sodas were at a 65% greater risk of becoming overweight or obese than the control group of normal-weight subjects.

The outcome of this study has actually created more questions than it has answered. The reasons that diet sodas have this effect are not known. There are a couple of hypotheses for this, one of which is that those who consumed these diet sodas were missing out on healthier drinks.

Another theory is that the subjects which drank diet sodas were more inclined to eat an excess of calories (as they were under the impression that the diet drink was in fact healthier than anything else). This increased caloric intake will, as we all know, cause a gain in weight over time.

So perhaps it's time to swap that diet soda that's in your hand with something else, like water or a protein shake.

Replies

• sarasotatim
    Options
    +1, I agree!!

I switched to diet green tea months back, and haven't looked back since :)
  • I drink nothing but water, but sometimes I do drink a diet soda. Like mayb once or twice a month. I try not to bc of the aspartane in most diet drinks, I'm not dead so i don't need embalming. But every once in a while won't kill anyone. I have been constantly losing weight even though I do have the ocaisional diet drink.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have also read that the artificial sweetners in diet sodas actually does something to a person's metabolism, slowing it down. This could also be a reason for weight gain. :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree. My brother and sis-in-law argued with me when I tried to discuss diet soda with them (my brother was diagnosed with Diabetes last December). I got the argument "they feed those rats bathtubs full of artificial sweeteners". I read about a study done on women. Those who drank 3 diet sodas a day had a 30% decline in kidney function. It was only one study though and only on women.

There's a lot of mixed reviews with artificial sweeteners. And some of what I put in my body contain artificial sweeteners. But artificial is exactly that. ARTIFICIAL. It's just another man made chemical that are bodies were not designed to deal with.

I'll stick with my water
  • Shinersmom
    Options
    When I drank Diet Coke, it wasn't because it was a "Diet" drink. I actually preferred the flavor of Diet Coke to any other soda.

Now that I haven't been drinking it in over 6 months, though.......I am hooked on water.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was ACCTICED to diet mt dew!! havent had but 2 in 3 weeks....verses thats all I drank period! I started putting fresh lemon in my water and I can drink it much better now
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i too have mostly given up diet soda....i may have a can (or two) a week if that....like today...i got a can of pop,....but my cat knocked it over so it was more like 1/2 a can :laugh: im okay with that...sometimes they just feel good burning down your throat...the sweet taste just seems TOO sweet anymore
  • bolton05
    bolton05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recently laid off of coke zero this week....just to see experiement and see what happens...I think I'll stick to green tea, my 2 cups of coffee a day, and water.
  • lkays2010
    Options
    Interesting, have been wondering about this issue. Mainly the artificial sweeteners. Thank you for the information.
  • CNDY72
    CNDY72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cans of diet pepsi a day sometimes more. I'm addicted to it just like I'm addicted to food. Its just one other thing I have to kick. I don't know if I can but I'm sure going to try.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think any weight gain related to drinking diet soda is because those people probably had other bad habits that they thought suddenly weren't as bad because, hey, at least they were drinking diet soda. It has no calories; it can't make you gain weight entirely on its own. But if you're eating more because you think drinking diet soda gives you permission to eat poorly, well, it's not the soda that's making you gain weight.

I used to drink Diet Dr. Pepper pretty regularly. I stopped recently because my dentist told me it was staining my teeth. Now I drink water all day. But I don't believe diet soda makes you fat.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think any weight gain related to drinking diet soda is because those people probably had other bad habits that they thought suddenly weren't as bad because, hey, at least they were drinking diet soda. It has no calories; it can't make you gain weight entirely on its own. But if you're eating more because you think drinking diet soda gives you permission to eat poorly, well, it's not the soda that's making you gain weight.

This..!!! :drinker:
  • safetypins
    Options

I used to drink Diet Dr. Pepper pretty regularly. I stopped recently because my dentist told me it was staining my teeth. Now I drink water all day. But I don't believe diet soda makes you fat.

I'm going with this.

Ignorance is bliss, and so is Diet Coke.