Is it harder to lose a smaller amount of weight?

Options
I'm feeling frustrated by my lack of weight loss. I need to lose about 20 pounds, and I'm wondering if it's harder to get started than losing, for example, 100 pounds. I've been exercising and staying under my calorie goal, but the scale is just not moving. Thanks!

Replies

• katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    So "they" say.

Don't stay under your calories. Eat all that you're allowed. It will help, not hinder you.
  • EAMac
    EAMac Posts: 22
    Options
    I never know if I should eat my exercise calories or not. Everyone has differing opinions. And I just changed my food diary to show my sugar intake, which I think is part of my problem. I can stay under my calories but go over on the sugar. :(
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you're doing enough exercise and eating right you shouldnt be going over in sugar though?

but i guess it depends how much you excercise?.... I find eating all the excercise calorie intake better too! tend to lose quicker :)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    How long have you been staying under your daily calorie goal? If your MFP diary were viewable more experienced eyes might look it over and offer some suggestions. I "got serious" about calorie control again after the holidays knowing I needed to lose 8 pounds, and lost 6 just in January. Maybe scroll through my food and exercise diary and compare to what you're doing, and see if you get any ideas? Good luck!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My goal was to lose 21lbs and I started MFP in February of 2010. One year later, I've lost 16lbs. I don't know if I would say that it's 'harder' because we have less to lose than some. For me, it was learning what worked. Firstly, it took me a long time to log EVERY single ingredient of everything I ate. And I mean specifically - look up the exact brand in the database, weigh out every single thing I eat, and that way I was accurately counting calories I ate, including cooking oil! That's an important one.

The other thing I learned about myself is that because my BMR is so low, I really only see a weekly loss if I don't eat back my exercise calories. I stick to around 1200-1300 calories/day and exercise, burning about 500 calories/day. I drink at least 8 cups of water, as well.

I thought sugar was my problem early on, as well. Turns out I can have my daily sugary snack and still lose, so long as I do the above.

But that's just me! Everyone's different.
  • EAMac
    Options
    How long have you been staying under your daily calorie goal? If your MFP diary were viewable more experienced eyes might look it over and offer some suggestions. I "got serious" about calorie control again after the holidays knowing I needed to lose 8 pounds, and lost 6 just in January. Maybe scroll through my food and exercise diary and compare to what you're doing, and see if you get any ideas? Good luck!

I just made my diary public.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs in about 24 weeks. I stalled for about 4 or 5 weeks because I was under eating. I had to eat every single calorie MFP allotted me or the weight lose just stopped dead. You can't go back in time and look at my old diary entries because it seems MFP shows the old days with my new maintenance calorie allowance added on. But I honestly had to eat every calorie.

I also lowered my lose deficit to 1/2 a week and that also helped me lose at a steady pace. The math behind this choice is good, check out these two posts, they clearly articulate my experience. Really great to read.

Setting Goals
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Eat exercise calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey. I hope you find a way that works for you.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options

It looks like you have been pretty far under goal kind of a lot. Some others posted some excellent threads that explain the problem better than I ever could. Maybe try changing things up with your diet - more fresh fruit if possible - boost your calories closer to goal range.

One of the things I do consistently that's "supposed" to help with metabolism and especially with getting rid of belly fat is that I drink 5-6 cups of fresh hot green tea throughout the day. I also move a LOT - usually at least 90 minutes per day of getting out and walking at a brisk pace on top of bustling around the house and the office. I've read that the amount of time you spend being active throughout the day may impact your metabolism, not just how many calories you burn by quick hard bursts of exercise on a treadmill or other equipment, for example.

Thanks to those who posted the great resource threads. Those are keepers!
  • EAMac
    Options

It looks like you have been pretty far under goal kind of a lot. Some others posted some excellent threads that explain the problem better than I ever could. Maybe try changing things up with your diet - more fresh fruit if possible - boost your calories closer to goal range.

One of the things I do consistently that's "supposed" to help with metabolism and especially with getting rid of belly fat is that I drink 5-6 cups of fresh hot green tea throughout the day. I also move a LOT - usually at least 90 minutes per day of getting out and walking at a brisk pace on top of bustling around the house and the office. I've read that the amount of time you spend being active throughout the day may impact your metabolism, not just how many calories you burn by quick hard bursts of exercise on a treadmill or other equipment, for example.

Thanks to those who posted the great resource threads. Those are keepers!

Thank you! I like green tea and should drink it more often. I'm really trying to up my water intake right now, as it was definitely falling behind. I am re-setting my goal to lose 1/2 pound a week instead of a pound, and I'm going to try to eat my full calories without eating too much sugar.

Thank you for all the replies. Everyone is so friendly and helpful here...I really appreciate it, and it helps keep me motivated!!!