When to weigh yourself

Options
Hi All!

Okay, so I firmly do NOT believe in going by your weight first thing in the morning with almost no clothes on - that is SO not a real representation of your weight. I won't be trying to wear a bathing suit or lingerie or a new dress first thing in the morning and worrying about how I look. So who cares if I'm lighter first thing in the morning? To me it's more realistic to weigh yourself mid day or at the end of the day, when your weight and how you're fitting in your clothes matters.

So, being a hypocrite to myself, I decided to hop on the scale this morning and, as I expected, saw that I was three pounds lighter than my weight on Sunday afternoon, three days ago. What are all of your thoughts on when to weigh yourself? I DO NO want to be one of those people that is obsessed with stepping on the scale 5 times a week - I want to do a once-weekly weigh-in and that's it. Really truly - what is all of your takes on WHEN to weigh yourself?

Thanks for your input!!
:) Lisa

Replies

• Lisamarie7574
    Lisamarie7574 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    P.S. - I also don't know whether I should count this morning's weigh-in and plug that number into MFP. Should I count it as "actual" weight loss? Or should I not, because I weighed myself at a completely different time of the day than Sunday? AGHHHHHH!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself when and wearing whatever you like just do it at the same time wearing the same thing for an accurate reading your body will fluctuate 2-3lbs over the course of a day
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    As long as you weigh in consistently at the same time of day, with about the same clothes on---otherwise, it really does not matter.
  • awdalton6
    Options
    I think that it doesn't matter as long as your consistently weighing yourself around the same time. It is normal to weigh less in the morning than in afternoon or evening, so just pick the time that works best for you and count that. Most people weigh 2-4 lbs more in the evening than in the morning. From my understanding, this is due mostly to gravity pulling on you. You're also taller in the morning than in the evening.. sometimes as much as half an inch! Crazy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Actually your true weight is first think in the morning after you use the washroom. This eliminates the guessing of how much undigested food or liquid is in your system. You are weighing you and only you, not the food you put in your mouth or the liquid you drank.

That being said, does it really matter, the scale should not be the be all and end all of this journey, as you can not lose weight yet look much lighter if you put on muscle. Try focusing on how your cloths fit, how you look and feel, body fat %, these are all better indications than a number on the scale
  • BlissgateClare
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning before eating or drinking..simply because I feel this is the best time

. If I weighed at lunchtime etc, the amount of food and drink I consumed could be variable and the type of clothes worn could be different too...so its mornings for me.
  • speednut
    Options
    I think what matters most is to weigh yourself at the same time, same day ONCE a week to chart your progress. I usually weigh in on Saturday mornings only before breakfast. Because clothing has different weights, you should also dress the same each time you weigh in. Just my 2 cents...
  • willhare
    willhare Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that it really matter when you weigh in, but that you weigh in at a consistent time. I think most people - including myself - just like weighing in in the morning because it seems like you have the least amount of variables (ie, food in your stomach, water consumption, etc.) to affect the number.

If you're going to start weighing in first thing in the morning, then I'd use the number you saw today. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it, because your mid-day or evening weight will almost always be higher.
  • Meghann218
    Meghann218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was just looking online to see when is the best. I know that you should always do it at the same time, they do say morning is better but I thought these tips were great and hope they help some:

keep these tips in mind when stepping on the scale:

1.Weighing yourself first thing in the morning is usually best. Because of variations in food and fluid consumption, we often "gain" different amounts of weight throughout the day.
    2.If you're weighing frequently, remember that daily fluctuations in weight are common. Just because you're heavier today than yesterday doesn't mean your weight control program isn't working. Don't become a slave to the numbers.
    3.Monthly variations in weight are also common in menstruating women.
    4."Plateaus" in weight loss aren't necessarily bad. If you're exercising a lot, your weight may remain constant for a time even though you're still decreasing your body fat content and getting healthier.
    5.Finally, cues other than the numbers on the scale are equally important. How do you feel? Are your clothes getting looser or tighter? Do you feel stronger, healthier, leaner? Your own perceptions can be the most valuable tools to help you track your weight control progress.

Good Luck!!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I weight myself in the morning after i use the restroom.....i dont get naked i just weigh myself wearing my pjs.....but like everyone else says as long as you are consistent....if you wanna way yourself in the afternoon just make sure you weigh yourself always in the afternoon and wearing roughly the same thing. I usually weigh myself on Wednesdays because its right in the middle of the week.
  • treed4
    treed4 Posts: 66
    Options
    I weigh myself every Thursday morning after showering and getting ready for work, but with not much on. My husband weighs every day first thing in the morning. I've lost 16 pounds since January 1st and he has lost 22 pounds. No crazy diets......... just working out 5-7 times a week; eating healthy; and we stopped drinking January 1st.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I was just looking online to see when is the best. I know that you should always do it at the same time, they do say morning is better but I thought these tips were great and hope they help some:

keep these tips in mind when stepping on the scale:

1.Weighing yourself first thing in the morning is usually best. Because of variations in food and fluid consumption, we often "gain" different amounts of weight throughout the day.
    2.If you're weighing frequently, remember that daily fluctuations in weight are common. Just because you're heavier today than yesterday doesn't mean your weight control program isn't working. Don't become a slave to the numbers.
    3.Monthly variations in weight are also common in menstruating women.
    4."Plateaus" in weight loss aren't necessarily bad. If you're exercising a lot, your weight may remain constant for a time even though you're still decreasing your body fat content and getting healthier.
    5.Finally, cues other than the numbers on the scale are equally important. How do you feel? Are your clothes getting looser or tighter? Do you feel stronger, healthier, leaner? Your own perceptions can be the most valuable tools to help you track your weight control progress.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for this post! It made me feel so much better about the Plaeau I'm currently experiencing. Helps change my perspective a little bit =D