OATMEAL - HELP ME!

Options
2»

Replies

• vwgurl2
    vwgurl2 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a baked oatmeal recipe that I like to make. I bake then cut it up into small portions and put it in the fridge. I will reheat with milk or water to moisten it. You can change the recipe however you want...

1/2 c brown sugar
    3 c oatmeal
    1/4 c white sugar (I use the splenda baking mix or you could use honey or even agave nectar)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 c oil (I use applesauce instead)
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs (Im sure you could use an egg substitute)
    1 c milk
    cinnamon to taste

Mix together and bake in 2 quart casserole dish at 350 for 30-40 min.

Here are some suggestions: I add blueberries (fresh or frozen), dried cranberries, and raisins; add mashed banana and nuts; use coconut milk and flakes, nuts, raisin; throw in some peaches. You can vary this however you want!!!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Steel Cut Oats? I make a batch in the crock pot (takes 4 hours on low). Makes enough for a week. Reheats in micro for 2 minutes, I add fresh fruit and cinnamon.

What is the exact recipe for this? By recipe I guess I mean what is the ratio of oats to water? I love oatmeal and I hate having to buy it at work every morning because I can't get up early enough. 2 minutes in the microwave could save me some money for sure. :D Thanks!!
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I've never liked oatmeal either...but I found that if you eat Quaker High Fiber Maple and Brown Sugar and add cinnamon to it, it's quite healthy and yummy! have you tried making oatmeal cookies?

My recommendations to the HIgh fiber one as well - I like tht maple and brown sugar - i too hate the texture - the taste is fine. I mix with water but put it in a styrofoam cup and watch how much water i put in it. I pretty much swallow it whole. no sense in keeping it in my mouth longer than I have too. Its so good for you and I will say it fills me up as well.
  • joellebird
    joellebird Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use 1/3 cup plain old oats, add 2/3 cup water, zap them in the microwave for a 3-4 minutes, and then add 1 tbsp peanut butter and sliced banana. I find that the whole oats have a much better texture than packaged oatmeal, plus it's a lot healthier for you. It's really yummy and keeps me full ( and energized) at least until lunch every day!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    try mixing it in a cereal bowl, with water, a splash of egg beaters, and some baking powder. Mix until batter like consistency, and cook in microwave for 1-1/2 minutes. Should come out sort of like a scone--something I have gotten used to for the past 4 months.
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I eat Quaker Oats Banana Bread Weight Control instant oatmeal. I don't use water, only 2% milk and pop it in the microwave. It has 160 calories and only 1 sugar!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Definitely use the old fashioned oats. Neither my kids nor I will touch the instant flavored stuff. Mushy and fake! But we love real oats with sugar and butter (oops--I use fake butter spray for mine! and splenda). Frozen fruit, thawed in microwave, is good on top too. If you have a large bowl, you can cook ithe oats in the microwave, just watch the first time for boiling over. Try different bowls til you find one that works.

1/2 cup oats, and enough water to mostly cover. I don't even measure the water, and I keep a 1/2 cup measure in the oats canister for speed and convenience. Cook on hi in microwave for 3 minutes. It's even fast enough for busy mornings!
  • mmmary201
    Options
    I have to choke it down sometimes myself. I'll add a packet of sugar (an extra 15 calories, oh well) and I tolerate it much better. I eat oatmeal for the full factor more than anything. But I do like steel cut oats too, try that like someone else mentioned. I eat those with a pinch of salt and brown sugar.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I too was going to suggest that you look up some Baked Oatmeal recipes. However, most of the recipes call for eggs, brown sugar, milk, etc. so it will no longer be a low calorie/ low fat dish. Plus, it takes much longer to prepare and it is not a quick breakfast meal.

The other option I have is one of my favorites. You have to prepare it in the evening and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

1 cup old-fashioned oats
    1 cup fruit juice
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1 - 1 1/2 cups of fruit

Mix together in a bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, you can sprinkle some nuts on top. This makes two servings and can easily be doubled and stored in the fridge for four days.
  • doutri2
    Options
    I also put oatmeal and/or old fashioned oats in my pancakes.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There are tons of different ways you can prepare oatmeal.

I don't get the packets, I usually get instant oats. My favorite is a bowl with 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar and applesauce.

You can also use other fruit like blueberries, raspberries, bananas or chopped apples and cinnamon.

If you want a little more to vary the texture; try adding a few crushed walnuts or other nut of your choice.

The kids at the daycare I work at love it with a little brown sugar and blueberries. They also like the apples and cinnamon. (Even the really picky ones!) I recommend adding the sugar yourself, that way you know exactly how much you are putting in.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I hated oatmeal too, but instant maple and brown sugar is awesome!! i make mine with vanilla soy milk, but it's still pretty good with skim milk. i don't really like it with water. sometimes i add cinnamon, raisins, or bananas depending on my mood :)
  • suttontm
    Options
    The other option I have is one of my favorites. You have to prepare it in the evening and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

1 cup old-fashioned oats
    1 cup fruit juice
    1/2 cup yogurt
    1 - 1 1/2 cups of fruit

Mix together in a bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, you can sprinkle some nuts on top. This makes two servings and can easily be doubled and stored in the fridge for four days.

Do you heat this up in the morning before eating it? Also, do you put the oats in raw or cooked, because looking at the recipe it looks like the oats will absorb the juice. I would like to try this recipe because it sounds yummy.

Thanks
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Ive fallen in love with better oats. they have about 5-6 flavors and are better for you than some others in the store.
  • doutri2
    Options
    The oats go in raw and you eat this dish cold from the fridge.
  • MoMoves
    Options
    I use 1/3 cup plain old oats, add 2/3 cup water, zap them in the microwave for a 3-4 minutes, and then add 1 tbsp peanut butter and sliced banana. I find that the whole oats have a much better texture than packaged oatmeal, plus it's a lot healthier for you. It's really yummy and keeps me full ( and energized) at least until lunch every day!

Peanut butter...now you are talking! That could be a winner for all three of ladies! :-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal but I eat it rarely. It doesn't REALLY have that much nutritional value and isn't a necessary staple in good diets! Just sayin'...you don't have to eat it!
  • shanpgh
    shanpgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Baked Oatmeal

1-1/2 cups skim milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled (I usually omit this which reduces the fat grams to around 4 grams per serving and calories to 260 per serving)
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    2-1/2 cups rolled oats
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 cup fruit

Preheat over to 350. Spray 13x9 pan with Pam. Whisk together first 4 ingredients in small bowl. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to oat bowl and mix. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Pour into pan and bake 35-45 minutes.

(I've been putting it in a muffin tin (12) and it cooks a little faster, about 30 minutes)

YUMMY!!!

Frozen blueberries, dried cherries, a cubed apple or whatever is in season..peaches..work well for the fruit or even a banana. I also usually add some almonds, walnuts or pecans for crunch (which will add in more fat and calories but its the good kind). You can keep this in the fridge for about a week (if it lasts that long!) I like to warm it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds. If you don't have a lot of room for a 13x9 then after the baked oatmeal is cooled cut into 6 servings (which is pretty generous) and put in sandwich bags or plastic wrap.

Serves 6 (or 2 muffins per serving)

Per serving: 299 calories, 8 g fat, 82 mg cholesterol, 51 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein

ps - this is calculated using a banana for the fruit.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I posted this today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/166385-baked-oatmeal

I like regular oatmeal, but I do enjoy the baked oatmeal and it definitely has a different texture.