How do I calculate calorie loss?

Options
Ok, so I decided to try a workout video (I found it "On Demand" for free from my cable provider. It was called "Power Curcuit Total Body with Jackie Warner." It was a good 30-40 minutes of cardio (it's supposed to include some minor weights, but I don't have any dumbells, so I just did the exercises with no weights). Anyway, I typed in the video title, and the trainers name in the search for My Fitness Pal, and neither comes up. I was definitley sweating actually I still am), and I definitley had an elevated heart rate, but I have no idea what to put in as my exercise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Maybe put it as Aerobics High Impact? That's my fall back when I don't know what to put and am sure it was at least a tough cardio workout.
  • mollyt37
    mollyt37 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try a pedometer and it keeps track of your steps, lenght of travel and calories burned. I bought mine at Walmart for $5.00 and I just show it as Walking 2.0 and I change the time and calories burned to match my pedometer.
  • debruhf
    debruhf Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you invest in a heart rate monitor, I've discovered this awesome site (via recommendations from here) that calculates calories burned:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

just use 35 for the VO2.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Aerobics option. Aerobics will get your heart pumping much higher and more quickly than walking and you will burn more calories during the same amount of time. Now if you are walking at avery brisk pace, uphill - that is a different beast all itself. You can also by a Heart Rate Monitor. That would be the most accurate.
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    I used general aerobics instead- it put me at 419 calories burned for a 30 minute workout. I figured that was fair. So after eating breakfast and having my morning cup of coffee, then doing the workout, I actually have to consume more calories than I start a normal day with!!! I thought that was pretty funny. I won't do that of course, I will just eat like I normally do.
    The pedometer is a good idea for walking, but this was definitley not walking. I t was total body training; squats, arm presses, crunches etc...I do walk at work- I figured out that three times around my building is a little over a mile, so I go out during lunch and walk. I walk at a 4 mph pace (figured out by completing the mile in 15 minutes). I find it funny that the first time I put it into my fitness pal, it sai I burned 175 calories for 16 minutes of walking. But now after doing it 4 times, it's down to 171 calories.
  • caseymcq
    Options
    if it's circuit training, then why not try putting in circuit training?? :)
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    Because suprisingly, curcuit training doesn't come up as an exercise on MFP. :)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Because suprisingly, curcuit training doesn't come up as an exercise on MFP. :)

You can find circuit training under cardio. jusr remember that MFP calories burned are often a little high!!!
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    [/quote]

You can find circuit training under cardio. jusr remember that MFP calories burned are often a little high!!!
    [/quote]

Ok so i'm an idiot and I was spelling it wrong. Yeah, going from Aerobic Exercise to Circuit Training increaded the calories burned by almost 100.