I Can't Stop MIDNIGHT SNACKING - HELP!!!!

Options
I was SO excited yesterday. I've got new MFP friends, I (truthfully) entered all the food I ate (up until 11 pm of so) and I did a million minutes of exercise yesterday, and then sometime, late last night, when I wasn't paying attention, I scarfed half a bag of cheese flavored rice cakes. As it it isn't bad enough that I was eating in the middle of the night, it was a total binge type of thing.

I'm at a total loss as to what to do. I've tried drinking water or juice, but that just doesn't work - I want something solid to eat. I just don't understand it. I don't feel hungry when I go to bed, so what's the deal??

Plus, I've got to figure a way to keep snacks around for my mom, who doesn't like anything healthy. Any ideas?

Replies

• Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    At night, its always best to have a fat/protein based snack near bed time. This will keep you satisfied. Eating carbs at night will make it harder to sleep and can increase your appetite.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Oh my, are we twins? I do the same thing. The other night I shamefully ate 4 cookies around midnight! But I do it often and I don't even bother recording them because I feel like such a loser. Good luck to you and let me know what finally works for you.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I totally know your pain. I am a midnight snacker myself! It takes alot of willpower. Ultimately the best thing is to not eat that late but if you have to can you prepare yourself snack baggies of something healthy and small and keep it in your room in case you have the urge to eat. That way it is already there youi won't be wandering around and pick up something junkie you won't even have to leave your room and you will be using portion control.
  • Charlie001
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a midnight snack as long as you choose the right food.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    can you go to bed? Not to sound rude, more to be funny, but yea, just go to bed - LOL

Never, ever take a bag of anything and put it in front of you, or you or anyone else will lose control. Portion control is going to be helpful but furthermore, don't even buy the stuff. Only keep lean protein, veggies, dairy, and some healthy, nonprocessed carbs around.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i swear peanut butter tastes better in the middle of the night....it is really the only "junk" food i eat, so i guess it could be worse but i feel like i just should not buy it anymore cause ill just eat it!! i always have a snack in the middle of the night it is so embarassing! i live wit my boyfriend and i feel lik a pig waking up in the middle of the night for snacks
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am a night eater. I save enough calories to cover my night snack and I stay away from salty foods.
    Recently, I have eaten my viactiv calcium chews (40 calories for 2) and my magnesium pill just before going to bed. Sometimes that takes care of my need for something chewy.
    My husband is not on my diet, but he notices my habits. He said I should not bring the entire box or bag out to the TV--just bring one serving and put the bag away. Each time you get up to get more, you are reminding yourself what you are adding to your body--and you are using a few calories. It might help you to eat less.
    NOTE: Drink at least two cups of water, or more, for your salty snacks--to help flush the extra salt out of your system. It also means you have to go to the bathroom several times--which will cause you to use more calories, too! ;)
    You will figure out how to get past this. I have every faith in you. :drinker: (lots of water!)
  • racheyanne1
    Options
    Hey - I have little kids, so I completely understand the whole snack thing. This is what I do - I have a snack cabinet for them, where I store fruit snacks, Honey Buns, Brownies, etc. In my snack cabinet, I store 100 cal. snack packs, etc. I had the same issue as you once - I would wake up at like 12, 3 a.m. and walk to the kitchen and eat fruit snacks or cookies. All bad. Now if I get up, and I feel the need to eat, i get a glass of water and go back to bed. Or crystal light. If I am hungry though - I will grab an apple. It's real food and better for you.
  • AeshaKSha
    Options
    Hi, I use to be a crazy midnight snacker, too. I stop eating 3 hours before bedtime. I've cut ALL (HFCS) High-Fructose! When you take a good look at all the bad sugars you eaten that day, you will crave late at night. When 9 or 10 comes at night I'm not craving any foods (snacks). I have a cup of tea and read a book around 9p. Read this book called CUT THE SUGAR OUT! This book will give you a complete breakdown of all sugars that keep you craving!!
  • rhi_rhi77
    Options
    Hi there, feel your pain too. I take medication that makes me a hungry beast in the middle of the night... it is really embarassing getting busted by my partner!

I have had some success with:
    - drinking a big glass of sparkling water immediately on waking up and thinking "HUNGRY!" (keep next to bed)
    - individual yoghurt tubs with chunky fruit in it (lots of protein) in fridge
    - ready prepared carrot or celery sticks in fridge
    - a ready made bowl of pepita and sunflower seeds that I dry fry with some soy sauce (no oil). Helps the salt craving.
    - I don't keep crisps in the house, I can't help midnight binging on them (salty salty goodness!) Maybe your mom can keep her stash of unhealthy snacks under her bed or in her bedroom cupboard? I am sure that she wishes the best for you and supports you in your weightloss/health goals?
    - turning on a light in the kitchen (I use the rangehood light). Don't use an open fridge door to illuminate your binge!
    - minimising alcohol intake. Drinking makes the muchies worse for me.
    - I would not keep food in the bedroom, no matter how healthy - waay too easy to access
    - I also like frozen ice lollies as a snack eg: 100% orange juice iceblocks. Although sugar is not that helpful at bedtime in aiding sound sleep.
    - Eat high protein/fairly fatty meals at night for dinner. eg: lean beef mince, chicken, tofu etc. Helps to keep full.
    - Eat EXTRA protein at night when excercising during the day (I use a protein powder and make a yummy low fat milkshake)
  • becky4bears
    Options
    ME TOO!!!!!
    Mine is more like 7pm to midnight cravings though!!!! I swear, sometimes I am so hungry in the late evening that I can hardly stand it LOL. Trying to go to sleep doesn't always help because I lay in bed, hungry, fantasizing about what I could be eating!!! Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I have always had this problem. I'm not sure what the solution is, but if you find one, please share with me!!!
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ironic, I do the same thing ever once in awhile & my choice of snack is also rice cakes.... the chocolate flavored ones or the caramel corn...LOL! I can eat all 5 in the pack with no problem! In order to stop this " behavior " or " craving " however we choose to label it, we have to recognize it as " bad " .... which we have done... let's smack our hands!!! I have noticed I do midnight snacking when I have an unsatisfying dinner. I think that may be my problem & the reason I choose to eat the rice cakes is because in " my mind " it's kind of a healthy snack, even though I am completely binging.... kind of like a " love hate " thing? It's as if I'm justifying the binge because it's rice cakes & not chips or cookies, etc. Atleast it's not the Sara Lee Cheesecake that I wish it was.... just sayin.... LOL.... so, I'm the same boat with you... I just did it lastnight, it was 11:30pm. As of today this naughty behavior MUST stop, because I think it is habit forming... & that's not cool. We're stronger than this, we just have to dig deeper to find the strength at midnight!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    1: go to sleep at 11pm. :tongue:
    2: keep sugar free gum on hand
    3: stock up on sugar free popsicles
    4: munch on a low glycemic fruit, such as cherries
  • rhi_rhi77
    Options
    "I save enough calories to cover my night snack"

"My husband is not on my diet, but he notices my habits. He said I should not bring the entire box or bag out to the TV--just bring one serving and put the bag away. Each time you get up to get more, you are reminding yourself what you are adding to your body--and you are using a few calories. It might help you to eat less. "

Great tips thanks!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Hey - I have little kids, so I completely understand the whole snack thing. This is what I do - I have a snack cabinet for them, where I store fruit snacks, Honey Buns, Brownies, etc. In my snack cabinet, I store 100 cal. snack packs, etc. I had the same issue as you once - I would wake up at like 12, 3 a.m. and walk to the kitchen and eat fruit snacks or cookies. All bad. Now if I get up, and I feel the need to eat, i get a glass of water and go back to bed. Or crystal light. If I am hungry though - I will grab an apple. It's real food and better for you.

We try to keep healthy snacks for the entire family, not just for ourselves. Even if my husband and I get a snack attack, there won't be any Honey Buns or brownies to gorge on.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My hubby comes home at 11:45 pm from work. I try to keep some baby carrots or plenty of celery on hand. I also try to drink a big cup of herbal tea or a big glass of selzer at about 10 pm and then have a handful of carrots or a couple stalks of celery when he comes home. He's trying to lose weight too, so its easier than watching him eat chips or other junk.

Love all the great tips everyone has shared here! Thanks!
  • bfrice1
    Options
    @Fieldsy: I'm going to try the fat/protein snack before bedtime. Thank you!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just brush my teeth really well and use my favorite mouthwash. The two hit combo of nothing tasting good after that and not wanting to destroy that minty cleanness keeps me from eating anything.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    @Fieldsy: I'm going to try the fat/protein snack before bedtime. Thank you!

try a protein shake with a little pb in it

or if you don't like shakes...just have some nuts, or even just a spoonful of PB. What do you like eating thats filled with protein or fat?
  • Greyc
    Greyc Posts: 12
    Options
    I have the same problem!1 only mine is usually a bowl of cereal before bed like lucky charms or something sugary. I started this when i worked 2nd shift a few years ago and that was usually my dinner when i got home. I catch myself making a bowl of cereal even if i am not hungry, there are even times i will stay up later then my hubby just so i can enjoy that bowl and not let anyone know about it. I just started this site yesterday and idid not cheat last nite.
    I would love to know what you find works for you i am really going to struggle with this.
    one thing i think that i am going t o do to help curve this addiction is finish my log about 9 pm when i will have an apple or something for a snack and when i finish my log for the day I am done eating unless i have a glass of water.