restaurant choices - help!

Options
am being taken to jamie olivers restaurant tonight with work, was thinking of ordering salmon and green beans but thats not on the menu :( I have about 500 calories - any ideas which would be the best option please?

http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/food-menu

GRILLED ANGUS SIRLOIN STEAK
8oz Sirloin - £16.95
From Tillyfour farm in Aberdeen, chargrilled and served pink with grilled flat mushrooms, dressed peppery watercress and flat-leaf parsley

FEATHER STEAK
£13.35
Wafer thin prime British feather steak pounded with sage and prosciutto, flash grilled with a spicy tomato, basil and chilli salsa

BURGER ITALIANO
£11.25
British beef pattie with melty fontina cheese, crispy salami, soft lettuce, tomato salsa, dill pickles, chilli and crispy fried onions

GRILLED CHICKEN
£13.25
Half a lovely free-range,boned, marinated and chargrilled, with a warm tomato, olive, chilli and caper sauce.

LAMB CHOPS
£14.35
Bone in grilled lamb chops served with creamy artichoke and mint sauce, roasted nuts, chilli and fresh mint

SOUTH COAST FRITTO MISTO
£15.95
Crispy fried fresh seafood of the day, served with zesty Italian tartare sauce and fresh lemon

FISH BAKED IN A BAG
£15.95
Fantastic sustainable fish of the day from Devon and Cornwall. Baked in its own juices with clams, mussels, smashed fennel, chilli and anchovy. Served with Sicilian scented cracked wheat

PROSCIUTTO, PEAR AND PECORINO SALAD
£10.95
Prosciutto, wild rocket, crisp pear, toasted pine nuts and pecorino with an olive oil and balsamic dressing

BRESAOLA AND RAINBOW BEET SALAD
£11.75
Finely sliced beef with roasted beetroot, rocket, fennel, horseradish, Parmesan, balsamic and extra virgin olive oil.

SHELL ROASTED BRIXHAM SCALLOPS
£15.75
Roasted king scallops with crispy pancetta, served on fresh tomato salsa with crunchy shaved fennel and lemon salad

Replies

• OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I don't count the calories on the menu - it's the sodium I watch like a hawk...
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, I'm just blinded with jealousy that you get to go eat Jamie Oliver's food!

Actually...I'm thinking the fish baked in a bag is the ticket. Sounds delicious, too. And maybe share the bread if there's a lot of it.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the grilled chicken? I wouldn't eat the whole "half chicken" though... LOL.
  • emh009
    emh009 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    any fish or even chicken (not fried) is better than red meat, so stay clear of red meat. If I were you, I would order the scallops, baked fish, or grilled chicken and avoid bread and olive oil dipping sauces that will kill you at Italian restaurants!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'd personally work out like mad so I could eat more!! :wink: Maybe walk an extra half hour after dinner if the weather isn't too bad?
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    As a general rule, whenever I eat out at restaurants, I just eat half of whatever I order. That way, you can still get what you want, but you don't go crazy on calories! The chicken or the baked fish look like they'd be pretty good choices.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    How about the Fish Baked in a Bag and a nice salad? Just watch the breads, dressings, and amount of alcohol consumed! ;) My trick is to order off the "fit" menu of any restaurant and take about half home with me to munch on later. That way, you can order more than 500 calories worth, but stay within calorie limits. Enjoy!!!!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go with the fish in a bag or the feather steak. Avoid anything with mayo/salami/cheese as they will bump up the calories even in tiny amounts. Watch the carb portions and go for lean proteins and you'll probably be fine.

Or, just go, enjoy and do some extra exercise over the next few days!

Eriks
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Just have to say I am SO jealous!! Doesn't help I am coming up on lunch time and have a "rumbly in my tumbly" Aside from the burger, lamb and fried seafood, most of the menu is pretty good. Jaime Oliver is such a champion for getting kids to eat healthy, he keeps his food clean and honest. Red meat isn't bad if you keep it to a small portion size and trim off any excess fat. The fish in a bag would be wonderful for you! I know I personally eat a lot of chicken at home, so when I go out, I tend to stay away from it on a menu. I agree with working out like crazy to be able to indulge more!

Don't stress about it too much! Enjoy what looks to be a fabulous meal!
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thankyou all :) liking the leave some idea! its entertaining a client so cant guarantee i'll be home in time to exercise later, will work extra hard at the gym tomorrow :) and fish in a bag sounds best option thanks again for the help :)
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that if you asked the waiter in advance when you order, they will plate half the order for you and have the other half already prepared in a to-go box for you. I do it with every meal I get when I order out. That way it's not even a temptation for you, that other half doesn't even come to the table until your check does.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i passed on the bruschetta and had the fish in a bag and just had the fish and a couple of mussels, and side order of seasonal veg (curly kale) weighed myself this morning and have lost another lb :bigsmile: and was a nice evening out as well so goes to show you *can* eat out and still stay on track :happy: (not like last time when i ate 3000 calories and spent a week undoing it lol!)