Grrrrr....

Options
I have been using the site for about 2 weeks now. I really like it. However I have been getting really annoyed because I want faster results. Well who doesn’t? Well anyway, I was doing really well with sticking inside my calorie limits. Then it happened.... The other day we had my favorite meal and I gave in to seconds that turned into thirds. I figured, its ok. I can get back on track tomorrow. Well that would have been yesterday and what did we do? We had Carl's Jr. for dinner. Carl's Jr. is the one fast food restaurant that I have problems resisting. Today I was supposed to do better but there was a chocolate pudding pie calling my name from the fridge. Breakfast blown... I guess my problem in all of this is that yes, they say it is ok to go crazy once in a while and indulge yourself, but I have so much trouble getting back on track. I think that I figure that I have already blown my diet so what’s a little more and that turns into total diet failure. And then I gain all the weight back.... HELP!!!!

Replies

• sarasotatim
    Options
    It happens to everyone believe me! Falling off is a fact of life, that's why I try to do everything in moderation, as trying to be perfect will just set yourself up for failure. Just catch back up and start again! Just the fact that you're trying is awesome, it's better that way than eating badly all the time without trying to eat right! :)
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel.. You have to take your worst.. ultimate absolute worst picture and stick it on the fridge. I haven't done it, but I hear it helps a lot. With me I make my "cheats" as a reward. Just like when you are a kid.. after dinner you get 1 peice of candy. That's all... not more, its a reward for eating all your dinner. So with me, my once a week cheat is a reward for eating healthy all week. Its only one thing though.. not a whole meal. :) Good luck! If you want some support you can add me, and we can keep tabs on each other!
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    ok this happens. its alright really. just take a moment and get rid of these foods that tempt you and avoid the fast food places you like to eat for maybe about a month (try pre making your meals so all you have to do is reheat them). it will get easier to resist them. you can do this! make a list of reasons you are doing this and put it where you can see them, and look at them every day. dont give up.
  • Toaster88
    Options
    Count those days a lessons, and keep going. Two bad days may sound bad, but not getting back on the horse and looking back at seven, eight, so on is much worse.

So far in my journey, I've avoided Carl's. When everything on the menu is good, it is easy to stray.
  • jb3076
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone else! The minute I tell myself that I am 'not allowed' to have something is the minute that I crave it the most. Let yourself have a couple of splurges and then get back on track! Like the person above me said... don't try to be perfect because you will be setting yourself up for failure! The best way to lose weight is to change your lifestyle - not be on a 'diet.' So... in your new lifestyle you can have your favorite foods every now and then... just try to eat healthy the rest of the time!
  • shapeupstephanie
    Options
    it's ok !!! just start cutting back now, and I know you will be ok....... who doesn't go a little nuts now and then??? I know I do. Don't beat your self up about it! do have any friends who is doing this with you? someone you can call for support or go on walks with??? good luck! I know you can do it!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I struggle the same way as you.

My advice for you is to forget what happened and just take it from here and move forward. You can't change what happened, but you can learn from your mistakes. For me, I know what my trigger foods are, and I do try to abstain. I know that many will say that it is OK to indulge from time to time. I think it is fine to do that, but then just use that as a marker. Pay attention to how you feel when you eat healthy vs. when you don't. I know that I feel better when I eat foods that are better for me.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    One thing that really helped me is changing my mindset from "well, I already ruined my cals for today....." then indulging the rest of the day vowing to do better tomorrow. Everytime you have something that you consider an indulgence, just hop right back on the wagon the next meal or snack instead of feeling defeated. :flowerforyou: Eventually, the full meal indulgences will turn into a small manageable portion indulgence then into an every once in a while indulgence then eventually you might even like the healthier versions of your favorite indulgence....

You can do it!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Just try to stay positive. Believe me, I know how easy it is to "fall off the wagon". You just have to pick yourself up and start again. Try not to dwell on what went wrong. Instead, look at the positives. Atleast you're trying...:) Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Do you track it anyway or do you just skip out on your diary and let the damage go unchecked? I've found that if I track even when I've messed up it helps me get back on track faster. Don't think of it as the whole day being blown, just pick yourself back up for the next meal. You might be over on your calories at the end of the day but you won't have had a free for all, all day long!

I love Carl's Jr. too. It's one of the few fast food restaurants I'll eat at anymore. I always get the low carb burger and a glass of water. It's 500 calories and I never eat the bun anyway so I'm happy to skip it. (Just not a fan of hamburger buns.) You could also try going for a kids sized meal as they're smaller and have few calories.

If you're going to lose and then maintain you have to think of this as a lifestyle, not a diet where you're denying yourself the things you love. I can have the things I love but I weigh my choices carefully to decide if it's worth it to me. And I track the food no matter what! I recently had a day where the eating wasn't what I wanted it to be, the next day was a little better but still not great but by the third day I'd dialed it back in. All because I was tracking even knowing it wasn't going to be pretty. You can do this!
  • sheila126
    Options
    It happens to everyone, and you are not alone! I posted this quote up earlier this week.. but thought it might be good to repeat it...

Vitality shows not only in the ability to persist, but in the ability to start over.

I keep this in my journal, and refer to it when I feel I might be getting a little off track.... It happened... pick yourself up and dust yourself off, then... get back to it. Best of luck to you!!
  • XxKrizzehxX
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel its so hard when you're the only one in the house trying to lose weight and watch what you eat. Going out to dinner even once can totally set you back but Ive learned you can splurge a bit now and then you just have to remind yourself of your goal and resist that temptation and just watch portion size. Its really hard to do at first but you can do it just stay strong and dont give up :)
  • njbranham
    Options
    You are SO not alone in this department!!!! I will lose 20lbs and feel great, thinking okay I've only got 30lbs to go to get to my goal but I'll start to indulge a little because of the 20lbs lost and BOOM it's all back before I know it. I've been doing this now going on the 3rd year. I know this because my daughter just turned 3 and I've been on this roller coaster since then. Each year stating this is it, I'm gonna lose the 50lbs I need to and EVERY time after that first 20 I lose, it ends up coming back.

I know that with me, indulging isn't an option anymore, NOT until I've lost the 50lbs. BUT that doesn't mean indulging in healthy desserts isn't possible. My husband and I are on this journey together this time since he needs to lose 50 as well but because both of us want to enjoy food and healthy, yummy meals not just for us but our children as well we decided to pick up Eat This, Not That books. They have a grocery guide, a kids, a restaurant book, Cook This Not That, etc. The books are small, an easy read (I say that because I don't like to read, I want shortcuts and fast results). The books have been amazing. I haven't worked out hardly at all, my husband won't run unless someone's chasing him and in January the two of us lost 19lbs. I lost 7lbs and he 12lbs. just by cooking the meals in the book. It's also inexpensive much cheaper than you would think cooking healthy, tasty meals would be. The other night we made a Sirloin A1 burger with fruit salad on the side, our kids ate it up and so did my mom who doesn't really eat meat. The whole meal was 350 cals. I made a banana, blueberry bread from the book and it was so yummy just 130 cals per slice. There's even a fast food book so that if you can't resist Carl's Jr. they'll tell you what to get from there that's healthier for you and still yummy!!

Anyway, just Food for thought. These books are awesome. Also I am not a cook! I have burned toast and made grilled chicken into jerky. But with these books the receipies are simple and easy to follow, I actually feel good about cooking now and my husband lets me in the kitchen now as well! Ha Ha.

Give yourself a chance, what feels better...Fitting into an a pair of jeans looking HOT, or swimming in a pair of sweat pants and eating ice cream in front of the TV?? This is the time for you to feel good again and it doesn't have to be by starving or putting yourself through hell, believe me I've tried EVERYTHING and spent a lot of money on miracle diets and shots and pills but this time I'm trying simple, and setting an example for my children that there isn't a short cut to anything in life without a consequence but if you work hard and put everything you have into what you want then the rewards are endless.

Good Luck!! : D ~ Nikki
  • Randie2002
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone! I feel so much better after reading all of your kind words. I have been tracking my calories on my bad days aswell as my good days. I figured that way I can look back and remember. I thought if I dont record this then that could lead to giving up and I am NOT willing to give up.