Backpack suggestions???

Options
I am taking advantage of only living a couple miles from work and trying to walk back and forth instead of drive. Only problem is I gotta carry everything with me (obviously). Any hikers/ runners have ideas for a good back pack? Just need it for my clothes and lunch (maybe 10 lbs max), but supportive enough that I can (eventually) run without it slapping my back, dragging on my shoulders, etc. Last night when I walked home even with just my shoes and clothes it was pulling me out of good form. I currently have a jansport that I used in high school.

Thanks for any tips! :smile:

Replies

• jleshko
    jleshko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Go to a local camping store or even a ****s or Sports Authority. Look for a nice internal frame pack. Be prepared to spend a few bucks... Try them on and see if it fits your needs. Seems like you will get plenty of use out of it... maybe even some weekend hiking ;-)
  • jleshko
    jleshko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to some reviews... http://www.trailspace.com/gear/backpacks/internal/
  • skinnyack
    Options
    OOO! Awesome! Thanks!
  • mkw122680
    Options
    REI also has a great selection of day packs, but do be prepared to spend a few $$ for a good pack. I get all of my backpacking gear from REI.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=day+packs
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a North Face backpack that I love. I originally bought it when my hubby and I went to NYC for vacation and it worked perfectly for hauling around whatever we needed or bought and had 2 pockets on the side for water bottles. After vacation, my hubby carried it back and forth to work for several years instead of a briefcase. Now he's changed jobs and I use it as a gym bag.

It was pricey--around $65--but it has held up extremely well. It's supposed to be guaranteed for life so I held on to my receipt and all the tags for several years. I finally threw them all away because I figure I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have an OGIO backpack. It has lots of pockets and storage space. It is a laptop bag, with a padded compartment to help keep your computer safe. The shoulder straps are very comfortable, and they fit my big ol' shoulders. They have a lot to choose from. I have had mine for more than a year and it still looks brand new, so they are very durable. Here is a link to one that is pretty close to mine. http://www.shoebuy.com/ogio-convoy/421770/897613 .

ETA: I bought mine through our business screen print shop. Their cost was about 75.00, I am not sure what the retail is on it.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I have an Eddie Bauer one that I bought almost 15 years ago and it's still going strong. I suggest getting one with the hip straps to keep it from bouncing.
  • skinnyack
    Options
    Thanks! This is awesome!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    check out Vortex packs out of steam boat Colorado. The make packs for search rescue and hiking great stuff. If you happen to be a volunteer firefighter with and NFPA number they will sell any product at 1/2 price to you
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Go to a good sporting goods store, REI, Cabelas, whatever is in your area, ask the camping person to show you a couple internal frame back packs, you probably only need a 2200ci (cubic inch) or so pack. Look at the different features you like, how does the belt fit, what size do you need for your body type, pockets, stuff like that. Then thank them, go home get on craigs list, and go to the sporting section and type in backpack, you can find GREAT backpacks all day long there for 50-100 bucks, that you would pay 300 or more on a new one.

What you want is a good internal frame pack, make sure it has a lot of cinch straps so you can cinch it tight after loading it, keeps things from bouncing around while you walk/run. A nice padded hip belt, of course padded shoulder straps, and a breast strap (holds the shoulder straps together across you chest). And with a 2200ci pack or bigger you can use it if you ever decide to do some hiking, that size pack is big enough for a over nighter, or a couple nights.