Healthy Pizza?

Options
ajwall3
ajwall3 Posts: 187
Looking for a healthy recipe for homemade pizza? I'm not picky so any and all variations are most welcomed! Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• kayleighbaybee
    Options
    hey!

i use a wholemeal pitta bread split in two,tomato puree,redued fat cheese and whatever toppings you like :)

i just pop it under the grill for the cheese to melt,et voila!

hope this helps!

xoxo
  • Tvstarbabe
    Options
    I take one mission whole wheat carb balance large burrito wrap (long name!) and cut it in half. Then I add 1/4 cup of marinara sauce and 1/4 a cup of an italian blend shredded cheese. If you want toppings you can add any vegetables you want.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! Whole wheat pitas are great, I never thought of splitting them in half to reduce the calories. Even with a whole pita its not bad. I throw pineapple and chicken on there, tomato sauce and low fat cheese. Yummm
  • nmccabe33
    Options
    I also enjoy pita pizzas. I like to top them with loads of fresh veggies like cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, basil or spinach leaves, etc. I always cover them with olive oil first and use low fat cheese, whole wheat pitas, and homemade sauce.
  • xTry2Defyx
    xTry2Defyx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My husband and I make homemade pizza all the time. Having it tonight actually! We grab pizza dough from the store (try to get whole wheat) and while he likes his with sauce, reduced fat cheese and tons of veggies, I go without the sauce and just do fresh veggies and a little reduced fat mozzerella. My favorite is fresh tomato, peppers and mushrooms! You're looking at under 400 calories and 10 grams of fat for 2 slices!
  • kayleighbaybee
    Options
    I do the same thing! Whole wheat pitas are great, I never thought of splitting them in half to reduce the calories. Even with a whole pita its not bad. I throw pineapple and chicken on there, tomato sauce and low fat cheese. Yummm

the only reason i split it is so i can have two! haha

xoxo
  • adpape
    Options
    If the pita pizzas just don't do it for you, I like to make my dough using only whole wheat flour. I usually add about a tablespoon italian spice right in the dough (I use a breadmaker to make the dough) and roll it out into 2 - 10" pizzas.

Top with pasta or plain tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes and heaps of veggies (we love mushrooms, peppers, onion), one cooked chicken italian sausage per pizza, sliced or crumbled (from Costco deli) and use just a tiny bit of feta cheese on top.

bake on a pre-heated pizza stone (425 for 20-30mins) for a crispy bottom crust. If you sprinkle cornmeal between the pizza stone and the pizza, it won't stick.

Makes about 12-14 slices. You can get away with one piece because it is so filling but I usually want 2 because it is so good!
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    I use the Flat Out Lite Italian wraps, fat free mozzerella and Ragu light pasta sauce with turkey pepperoni and whatever else I feel like at any given time. I usually make two and it is under 500 cals. You can see it in my food diary! Love 'em!
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of using tortillas!! I usually just use a regular pizza dough that I make and I use a few tablespoons of cashew cheese- http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=26259.0, hunt's garlic and herb spaghetti sauce, and mushrooms, spinach, cauliflower, and/or broccoli.
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    I use the Flat Out Lite Italian wraps, fat free mozzerella and Ragu light pasta sauce with turkey pepperoni and whatever else I feel like at any given time. I usually make two and it is under 500 cals. You can see it in my food diary! Love 'em!

Thanks to everyone for posting! I think I'll try this one! :)
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you like cauliflower - there is a cauliflower crust pizza recipe here somewhere. You can search for it. It was really good!!!
  • HOPEful27
    Options
    I agree with the cauliflower pizza crust. I made it & it was really good. The recipe sounds crazy, it looks weird when you mix it up & put it on the baking sheet, but you will be amazed once it is done.
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Looking for a healthy recipe for homemade pizza? I'm not picky so any and all variations are most welcomed! Thanks! :drinker:

Great thread! I was thinking about making pizza on Sunday too so I can talk my hubby out of ordering our usual Pizza Hut (I know so bad for you, but yummy greasy deliciousness).
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing-Whole-Wheat-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

Here's the recipe that I used and I'll add in my *tweaks*.

Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Ingredients

1 teaspoon white sugar (I think next time I'll use 1 tsp. honey instead)

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

1 tablespoon active dry yeast

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup flour + 1/2 cup cornmeal)

Directions

1.In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.

2.Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

3.When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled. (I made it into 3 balls for a thinner crust pizza)

4.Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan (I used my Pampered Chef Pizza Stones). Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.

5.Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top. (I prebaked the crust w/ a little sauce first for about 5 minutes, then topped w/ toppings and baked until cheese melted, another 7 minutes or so)

From the ingredients that I used and figured out, it makes 30 pieces (I made 3 thin crust pizzas, 10 slices per pizza)

1 piece (just crust... without toppings, you'll have to figure that separately):

55 calories/ 11g carb/ 1g fiber/ 1 g fat/ 2g protein

• atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i use salsa instead of sauce lower in calories with and extra kick!
  • jdpet
    jdpet Posts: 17
    Options
    I use a whole wheat tortilla.......1/4 cup pizza sause..........fat free mozz. and a sprinkle of red. fat parm. then load it up with veges.
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IdaBetances
    IdaBetances Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We were just talking about how we hadn't had pizza in over 3 wekks (I started here 3 weeks ago) and was wondering what to do to "feed the craving" - this is perfect!
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use the Nature's Own 100 Calorie sandwich round and make myself two individual pizzas. I toast the sandwich round for a couple of minutes to start with. Then I just spread each side w/ some pizza sauce & sprinkle a little finely shredded mozzerella on it & dice up a few turkey pepperonis and put it in the toaster oven until the cheese is good & melted. It is a pretty low-cal lunch.