HELP (for the girls)

Options
Does anyone else get awful PMS?

I currently feel liking crying, throwing something (or someone) at the wall, screaming, stuffing my face with a chocolate fudge cake with bucket loads of custard/battered sweet and sour chicken/any form of very very naughty thing you can think of.

My boyfriend may be on the verge of taking me to see a shrink.

Any help would be greeted with the biggest smile I can currently muster.

Replies

• melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't really have the cravings that bad, but I do get very emotional and cry about the stupidest things! I've HEARD that evening primrose oil can be helpful but I haven't actually tried it. A good friend of mine used it faithfully though.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed years back with PMDD. An extreme case of PMS that can be medicated. I choose not to be medicated but go the natural route. But it is real and it has a certain criteria to meet to be PMDD. It's no fun and you feel a little crazy because it can be so bad.

I posted here on this thread some suggestions to help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/166437-any1-know-any-remedies-for-time-of-month

Message me privately, I'm there to listen and offer support if you (or any other lady) needs it.

Katie
  • misshenn78
    Options
    Try Vit B-12. Take it every day...my mother had to deal with me and my two older sisters and that is just too many women in one house!! It is suppose to level you out, and I nicknamed it the *****y pill... :) your boyfriend would thank me! (Walgreens always has all their vitamins buy 1 get 1 free!) :) I stock up!
  • kitta3
    kitta3 Posts: 84
    Options
    I alwaysss crave the worst things on that time of month
    which is about to happen

i loveee chocolte on these days, where any other time i dont care for it that much
    so last night i took semi sweet chocolates and covered cheerios with them and let them harden...
    they are in the fridge right now waiting for me
    i have no idea how many calories they are
    but i feel less guilty eating stuff like that then a cake
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I do. I have anxiety attacks whenever I am PMSing - to the point that I can't really perform my normal daily activities. I went to my OB, and had a conversation with her about it. We have tried a couple of different things.

1. Tiny dose of Zoloft for days 14-28 of my cycle. Worked well on symptoms, but it was hard to remember to do. Also, I had trouble getting life insurance b/c of the prescription.

2. NuvaRing. Worked VERY well on symptoms, easy to remember. Killed my libido & sex was painful unless I removed it. Obviously can only be used if you are not trying to conceive.

3. Seasonique. Probably would have worked well, but I had an allergic reaction, so that was the end of that.

I am looking for another solution now. My allergist has indicated that I will probably react to all methods of hormonal birth control :-(
  • meglane
    Options
    Are you on any meds like birth control?? I know personally I've been on birth control for a long time and about 4-5 months ago I quit taking any medication, only vitamins, and oh boy have my emotions evened out. Working out to get my endorphins running really help too. Its like a natural anti depressant :)

But I do notice I want chocolate cake like none other but I figure its the nature of the beast and I divulge a little :)
  • meglane
    Options
    Are you on any meds like birth control?? I know personally I've been on birth control for a long time and about 4-5 months ago I quit taking any medication, only vitamins, and oh boy have my emotions evened out. Working out to get my endorphins running really help too. Its like a natural anti depressant :)

But I do notice I want chocolate cake like none other but I figure its the nature of the beast and I divulge a little :)
  • naidanueva
    naidanueva Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I echo Meglane. When I took BC pills my depression got way better, and so did my emotions.
    All the best dear! I know it's hard but you'll get through it.
    Also, I worked at a health food store for a while and we were all believers in the natural stuff (although it works slower) and all I can say is try to be as balanced as possible in all other areas of your life : physical and spiritual. Stay away from sugar and processed foods. Stick to whole grains and whole foods, period.
    Again, I know that sucks, since I love sugar!!
    But do your best.
    And if all else fails, try taking some Kava Kava. It will work wonders!
  • bekkyhughes
    Options

I'm on microgynon at the moment, my PMS used to be pretty unpredictable. Now, it gaurenteed to be a 5-7 day *****ing/ craving nightmare.
  • meglane
    Options
    you could also try vitamin b12 shots
  • meglane
    Options
    you could also try vitamin b12 shots
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    Boyfriend has been dispatched to pick up some evening primrose and B12. Along with a milky bar (only 140 calories so not that bad in the grand scheme of things)

Let's just home he doesnt bring back a straight jacket.

Thanks for all your advice guys :)
  • JKBayne0502
    Options
    I understand!! I feel that way often, especially since I've been trying to change my eating habits. Whenever I feel like I'm going to shove my face with bad food I get busy doing something. It's hard to find the initial motivation to do it, but after just a few minutes I've lost the desire for whatever I was craving. Plus, staying busy burns calories! If you're legitimately hungry don't deprive yourself of food though!

I get really stressed out at times and feel like throwing things and/or punching walls. I'm seeing a counselor for anger and it seems to be helping. She's had me write down any triggers I find through out the day that make me feel irrationally angry and I've come up with some patterns. Being overly exhausted and hungry seem to trigger most of my anger. Maybe you could try to do the same to figure out what things cause you to feel like this?

As melindadorman said, evening primrose oil can help, I tried it years ago and it seemed to help me, although it does take a while to start working. Also, B complex is good for stress.

Hang in there!!
  • meglane
    Options
    so the birth control you are on is a type of birth control that has the same amount of hormone for the entire 21 days that you are taking them. This can result in major PMS and side effects. There are 2 other categories of birth control that have varying amounts of hormone depending on the week of the cycle. I think you are on the wrong birth control and should talk to your doc about getting onto another one.

The nice thing about them is that there are so many different formulations so you can find something that works for you. The birth control should lessen these effects during menstration not intensify them.

If you want more info I would be happy to look more into it.
  • bgeeke
    Options
    Not anymore. I was also diagnosed with PMDD. I changed my birth control and started a low dose of Celexa (anti-depressent) and my PMS symptoms are MUCH more reasonable now.
  • JenniferO1982
    JenniferO1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh Becky!

I am in your boat! I am on a new pill, only 3 mons in. I had to change pills actually as a results of my weight loss. My old ones just weren't jiving with my new body and hormonal make up anymore, and I was experiencing a great deal of breakthrough bleeding. So, began for me the odyssey that is "finding the right pill for me."

This month I realize for the first time that I am borderline binge-eating on things I normally wouldn't touch! I have an appointment with a health care professional in two weeks to discuss how my new pill is working out, and to see if we should continue my prescription.

I am going to say NO! I want to try something new. In addition to the insane cravings that aren't me at all, I am an emotional nightmare:(

Maybe a pill switch might be something you may consider?
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    I'm due a pill review in a few months (the GP gave me 6 months in November) so I'm going to stick it out until then.