Does Pseudoephedrine (AKA Sudafed) supress appetite?

Options
I have never been one for taking the magic fix pills or even taking any OTC or prescribed meds not even when I am sick. That being said, I currently have an upper respiratory infection and my friend suggested Sudafed Triple Action (with pseudoephedrine). I was desperate for relief since the head congestion was unbearable. I broke down and tried it. I have been taking it for 3 days now and have noticed I barely have an appetite at all. This is completely not like me, especially since I typically eat more when I am sick just to "feel better" or because I am bored. But in taking this, I have noticed that I don't have those "cravings" and I have to remind/force myself to eat. Is that the pseudoephedrine? Is that the same as the ephedra or ephedrine that was used in diet pills in the past? I know it was banned and the banned removed. Just wondering if there is still an ephedrine based diet pill out there and maybe that could be a temporary help for me to control my cravings. However, I do not want anything with caffeine it it. I am so not used to having any caffiene, that I don't like the way my body feels when I consume it - way too zippy! Looking forward to tons of feedback??? :)

Replies

• rlampton
    Options
    It does the same thing to me. When I take it, I have to remind myself to eat. It also gives me chills and a little nervous feeling.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Wondering if I can still buy diet pills with ephedrine but withOUT caffeine?
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Pseudoephedrine will often make one feel jittery and "wired". It has some properties like Amphetamine (I believe Amphetamine/Adderall has some pseudoephedrine in it), and Amphetamine is also sometimes used as a hunger suppressant.

Actually I believe there are a few drugs awaiting approval that include Amphetamine in combination with a weight loss drug.

**Pharmacy tech geekyness will now stop LOL
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yep it can! Druggies use it to cut speed. That is why you need your ID to buy the real stuff. Sudafed makes one called Sudafed PE (phenylephrine NOT psuedoephedrine) that is much more mild, doesn't have the same effects, and doesn't work for *kitten* if you ask me.
  • princess_f
    Options
    Continued use of sudafed (or other products similar) will eventually cause you more problems than not taking! You can get a bounce back of congestion with prolonged use and much more. My advice would be to take it for 7 days then give a break. Well thats what they say in the pharmacy i work for
  • RickyN29
    RickyN29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought I was crazy! Actually ended up here via a Google search on this topic.

I'm battling a bad flu or cold and much like the OP, I NEVER take medication. I started Sudafed about 5 days ago because I was miserable....and I noticed I have zero appetite!

Even after a couple "adult beverages" where I normally like to pig out after, I haven't. Damn, I thought I was just being a good boy but now I also believe it is the Sudafed suppressing my appetite! Ok with me though, I lost 100+ lbs the natural way so can't complain that I lost 5 lbs in 5 days while sick and on Sudafed!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have been sick and have been taking sudafed. I used to take it for allergies all the time when it was OTC. However, being off it for a while I tried it again for illness and was like "OMG, this is crazy! I have no appetite." I searched this to see if I was the only one. When I was younger I used to take ECA stack type of supplements like old Hydroxycut. I guess I forgot how much that must have worked.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It's only temporary. The effects will wear off after a few days as your body builds up a tolerance to it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It *does* suppress my appetite a bit, not completely, but a bit.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Continued use of sudafed (or other products similar) will eventually cause you more problems than not taking! You can get a bounce back of congestion with prolonged use and much more. My advice would be to take it for 7 days then give a break. Well thats what they say in the pharmacy i work for

^^ Good advice. I get sinus infections at least once a year and have found that taking it when you don't have a sinus issue can *cause* you to have a sinus issue when you quit taking it.

Also, the package directions clearly state not to take it for longer than 7 days.
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have no appetite right now and I become extremely wired when I take it. It's good stuff :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yep it can! Druggies use it to cut speed. That is why you need your ID to buy the real stuff. Sudafed makes one called Sudafed PE (phenylephrine NOT psuedoephedrine) that is much more mild, doesn't have the same effects, and doesn't work for *kitten* if you ask me.
    Incorrect. It is NOT used to cut speed, it's a critical part of the manufacturing process of methamphetamine along with red phosphorus and iodine crystals. These are the three chemicals used to form the compound.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

There are some if you look carefully.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

There are some if you look carefully.

Bronk-aid (Ephedrine) is a vasodilator. Available over the counter. :D It's less of a decongestant like PSE is, and retains more of the original qualities, opening up your airways and getting you more efficient use of oxygen. It really helps my workouts.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... it's like meth.. you know.. because it's used to make meth....

And taking anything, even cold pills, which are totally legit for a cold, to suppress your appetite is asinine. Not that you asked the question, but I think that's what you're getting at.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Incorrect. It is NOT used to cut speed, it's a critical part of the manufacturing process of methamphetamine along with red phosphorus and iodine crystals. These are the three chemicals used to form the compound.

I was thinking the same thing... lol
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It won't work over the long run, your appetite comes back with a vengeance. It is also extremely hard on your heart and arteries, and can even cause death in people with undiagnosed heart problems. Do NOT use it as an appetite suppresant. Follow the MFP plan, diet and exercise. That is the ONLY safe way to do it.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... it's like meth.. you know.. because it's used to make meth....

And taking anything, even cold pills, which are totally legit for a cold, to suppress your appetite is asinine. Not that you asked the question, but I think that's what you're getting at.
    And as somebody mentioned, the effect wears off as your body develops a tolerance, and once you eventually quit, and you will, your appetite roars back with a vengeance.
    BEWARE!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    psuedoephedrine is like speed to me. I get so wired and completely... crazy with it. I hate it.

But I'm on it now because of a completely over the top flu.

):

Don't take it for too long.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep, it contains ephedrine, which is a stimulant (& all stimulants suppress appetite to some degree)