crave chocolate and sweets and bread all the time!

Options
ahhh i always want these but they are bad and not filling! what should i do or eat instead? i'm trying to do the low carb and low sugar thing and most protein bars are so high in fat. :( And once I have a little bite or piece of sweet I scarf the whole thing down and feel bad!

Replies

• bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ahhh i always want these but they are bad and not filling! what should i do or eat instead? i'm trying to do the low carb and low sugar thing and most protein bars are so high in fat. :( And once I have a little bite or piece of sweet I scarf the whole thing down and feel bad!
  • girldeese
    Options
    Well, I am trying to do the same thing, but last night I gave in....I had a piece of banana bread...sooo good! But I stayed w/ in my calories, so it was even better! I think once in a while is fine!:wink:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    This is my opinion but the low carb thing is a big no no. The thing is as soon as you quit the diet, and add carbs back in, the weight u lost will pile back on! Not to mention carbs are your body's main energy source. Instead, why not try to incorporate healthy, whole grains. Your body needs a healthy balance of carbs, fats and proteins for this journey to be successful. good luck!
  • drgall
    Options
    If you continually deny yourself of the things you love, you won't be able to stay on track for long. It's OK to have something sweet (look for sugarless snacks) as long as you stay within your calorie count. I have a huge sweet tooth so I keep fat free sugarless puddings on hand. Also someone told me to chew gum to relieve my cravings -- it works!

Good luck!

Denise

weight.png
  • bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Gum has definitely helped a LOT! And it is definitely really hard to avoid carbs esp b/c I work out a lot I think I crave them more! I will try healthier carbs for sure!
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    Lower carbs are fine. Low carbs are not. As the one response says, when you add the carbs back in when doing low carb - like Atkins, you tend to gain the weight faster - I know this from experience - but eating lower carbs and higher protein are good for two reasons - 1. You feel full with more protein, and 2. You are preserving muscle while losing weight. Yes, you need the carbs, but eating carbs that are in foods other than bread, cake, sweets, etc are great. I know myself - bread is a trigger food for me - if I eat it, I want more carbs! I am a carb junkie, so the less I eat, the less I crave them. Diest that restrict your carbs to almost nothing only work by putting your body in ketosis and that is not healthy long term - lower carbs give you enough and you are not starving and still losing weight. I feel your pain though!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    This is my opinion but the low carb thing is a big no no. The thing is as soon as you quit the diet, and add carbs back in, the weight u lost will pile back on! Not to mention carbs are your body's main energy source. Instead, why not try to incorporate healthy, whole grains. Your body needs a healthy balance of carbs, fats and proteins for this journey to be successful. good luck!

Agreed. I went on it....wow! Three years ago. Did South Beach. I lost 30 pounds. But I was so hungry and light headed all the time (it says keep eating! But there are only so many sticks of cheese or nuts I can eat before I'm ready to hurt someone!). I went back to "normal" though I tryed to follow a diet plan. Not a chance. I am officially back at the weight I was at three years ago. And I am having a b*&^% of a time losing because all of the yo-yo dieting I've done.

When you throw out entire food groups to lose weight, there is no possiblity that you will be able to stick to it forever.

Now, the South Beach Diet actually starts you out at no carbs no sugar. But then you go through phases to add things back in. I never learned how to do that without gaining weight. It is possible to live in the third phase, but I suggest that you learn to stay within your calories first. Then start cutting out starches and bad sugars. You'll be able to live like a normal human being and never feel deprived. :flowerforyou:

O....and always remember. You gained this weight over time. It will take just as long, if not longer, to lose it and keep it off!
  • conniptionfits
    Options
    mmm chocolate bread how perfect :laugh: if im craving chocolate i usually try to fit it in one day. Dark chocolate is the best so i keep the chocolate chips around that you cook with so i can just have a handful it seems more filling and its not so bad :D