Uhg...the 'bllizzard' is kicking my butt...

Options
I'm from OK, we don't do well with snow and ice, and we always get snow and ice. I'm not a cold weather person at all and I've been shut in with my kiddos for 2 days now and gave in to cravings of crappy food. I'm going stir crazy too. I'm a single mom to 4 kiddos and I find it difficult to exercise when they are home. (I do DVDs and videos on On Demand) So, I haven't exercised since last week! And today I ate junk food. Yuck! I know I don't have to let it define my whole day so I'm planning on a big salad for lunch/dinner and I'm hoping to steal the t.v. away long enough to do a 30 min work out but does anyone else have a hard time when you are cooped up in the house? With snacking and/or exercise?

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. These last couple of days have been a challenge here in Kansas too!!! This is the 2nd day home with the kids, and I am taking every bit of energy and umph I have to stay on track. It is hard. I realize when I only have a 2 year old here I am a lot more productive. Just know that you are human, and it doesn't define you. Try your hardest to stay strong!
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am in the snow belt right off the lake in NW Indiana and we are getting lake effect on top of the blizzard. I have about 36 inches right now, 6 foot drifts and we are still in white out conditions. ARGH
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    With the entire family here, cooped up inside, I ate horribly today! Donettes for breakfast, pancakes for lunch, decorated cupcakes for a bake sale! Looks like salad for supper and lots of elliptical trainer!
  • carrieann8080
    Options
    I know what you mean!! I work full time and I am not home as much as I would like to be but I usually have one day during the week home and it completely throws me off...to easy to grab the convenient food! I try to stay to my usual schedule but I am quite lazy on those days and cooking is out of the question. I try to eat in moderation though and throw in a workout even if it is just an hour of cleaning the house!
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm in Connecticut and today is the second day in a row that we have had a snow day. We haven't had a full week since early December and these days at home are killing me! Normally I have a small breakfast, salad for lunch, a snack when I get home and still have 500-600 calories left over for dinner. I exercise for more, but today I am already under 400 calories left for the day and went over majorly yesterday despite exercising. Can't go anywhere and it is too hard to hang around and not eat. I can only exercise for so long! Sore from yesterday's workout and not sure what to do. Definitely the two hardest days on MFP since I started mid January! UGH!
  • Little_Lisa_Ann
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. I'm from Jersey, and we've been slammed by winter this year. This is the 2nd day I've had off this week (I work in a preschool) and I find it much harder to be home..I get more cravings and I find I'm bored a lot, which just makes me want to eat more. At least when I'm at work I have a pretty set schedule so I have certain times I eat and I don't have access to everything and anything whenever I want it. I have found though, that shoveling is a great workout and burns tons of calories! But just remember that sometimes life throws a wrench into your plans, and you will have some off days..we all do. Just stay strong and positive and remember that tomorrow is another day!
  • bucketzofcrazy
    bucketzofcrazy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I often suffer the same thing, cooped up with nothing to do so I grab for the nearest thing that looks good only to hate myself for doing it later. We just recently got a treadmill tho, so now when I find I'm getting bored, I disappear to the basement and hop on it for a while. Tapes and videos are nice too, breaks up the monotony. I don't have any kids tho, but maybe you can figure out a way to include them in your exercise? I don't know their ages, but I remember my niece always loved doing Tae Bo with me when she was younger, so maybe it can be something that gets them active too and that way it won't be so difficult working out while they're home? Like I said, I don't know how old they are, so just a possible suggestion. And I know, the cold is the worst, but getting out and shoveling burns TONS of calories and once you get started you can actually start working up a sweat. Hope you figure something out, this winter blues snow storm sucks! Good luck! :D
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I've been bad on my sodium intake, but have managed to not snack. I just keep myself busy busy, you know what they say about idle hands, lol! I have also been trapped inside for a couple days (after being trapped inside due to illness prior to that) and I have washed every piece of laundry (including stuffed animals, comforters, curtains, etc...), and kept my kitchen spotless on a nonstop basis. Today I am cleaning out my kids' closets and rooms, taking clothes and toys they don't use to the garage, and will probably do the floors tonight.

Have you tried exercising WITH the kids? Mine LOVE to watch and even do some of the aerobics with me. But I only have 2 and they are ages 4 and 6. Sometimes, you just gotta claim the TV, Mom. Make them do something else so you can have your time, and DON'T feel bad about it!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old your children are but are they old enough to dance around the house silly with mommie? Let's get creative. Turn on some music...yours or theirs and get to moving. You can't allow the weather be another excuse. Haven't you made enough of those in the past? Exercise doesn't always have to be literal. 20 to 30 mins jumping around with them and you have done your work out for the day.

As far as eating off plan well you have to have the mindset not to do that no matter what the circumstance. It comes with time but you have to be actively working towards that. Its not going to just happen for you. One thing you can do is remove the junk from your home. Your kids can have healthier treats that aren't going to get mommie in that much trouble.

I'm glad you are not going to just run with it. Thats a step. I hope tomorrow is better for you.
  • jas001
    jas001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The blizzard from the US came up to Canada, so, it's a snow day for most people. Were prepared for the giant snow drifts and snowy streets. Its not an overly big deal here. Just a big nuisance.

I would suggest the same thing that other people are saying. Try doing something with the kids that will get you all moving. Are you able to play outside in the snow too?