Bored at the Gym?

Options
Hi Guys!

I am struggling at the gym. I go to Gold's and there's even Cardio Cinema, and I just get so so so bored. WIthin 5 minutes on any given machine I'm ready to just leave.

I would take a class but the times offered just do not fit with my schedule.

Help! How do I stay there without being miserable? Would listening to music help?

:) I'd appreciate any feedback.

Replies

• curlhair
    Options
    Hi Guys!

I am struggling at the gym. I go to Gold's and there's even Cardio Cinema, and I just get so so so bored. WIthin 5 minutes on any given machine I'm ready to just leave.

I would take a class but the times offered just do not fit with my schedule.

Help! How do I stay there without being miserable? Would listening to music help?

:) I'd appreciate any feedback.
  • fitsharon
    fitsharon Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was the same way until I got an IPod. I think listening to music makes a world of difference.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Do you free lift ever? I'm the same way with cardio machines. I push myself because I walk and watch mysself in the mirror :laugh: .

What I'm trying now is my cardio videos at home. My gym doesn't offer classes......Golds should, I say start joining random classes and see what sparks your interest!
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    Music definitely helps me! Get some good high tempo music and that will increase your speed too! Just like how you go faster when driving to good music. :happy:

Also ... set mini goals for yourself. That helps me. "I will go this far" or "go this long" and just accomplish that goal!
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Music will definitely help! I would be so bored without my Ipod!!!!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    O, yes! My iPod keeps me moving. I sat down just this weekend and downloaded some fun tracks that keep my body moving. :happy:
  • girldeese
    Options
    I do more things outside....go for a long walk, go on the trampoline...I know not everyone has one obviously, etc...go to the pool, flip things up!:smile:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm getting bored of the music on my (actually my son's) MP3. What's the deal with downloading MP3s from the internet? Is it legal (I know I sound out of it when I ask that). If anyone knows sites where the downloads are free and it's legal, please let me know.
  • dcoates
    Options
    one of the things i do is i watch my fav shows ( I don't know if they have this at your gym ) i plug i my headphones and watch tv and then if nothing good is on i listen to my tunes on my ipod -- I hope this helps -- I heard someone say to set goals ---- good call because this works for me everyday. I know i can't go home until i have burned 500 cal or so on-- if that means jumping from 3 different pieces of equiptment then so be it
    danielle
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    free podcasts!!! I listen to a couple different podcasts, they average about 30 minutes. If you're looking to do 30 min on a treadmill or whatever you can get through an entire session. I prefer that to music because the time is fairly rigid. I personally listen to sermons (Greg Laurie and James McDonald) so I know when they start wrapping it up I am almost done! :laugh: :laugh: Although you can accomplish the same with a music playlist I suppose.
  • Fab140
    Options
    free podcasts!!! I listen to a couple different podcasts, they average about 30 minutes. If you're looking to do 30 min on a treadmill or whatever you can get through an entire session. I prefer that to music because the time is fairly rigid. I personally listen to sermons (Greg Laurie and James McDonald) so I know when they start wrapping it up I am almost done! :laugh: :laugh: Although you can accomplish the same with a music playlist I suppose.

I like to just put my music on shuffel. It keeps things interesting. If I wasn't at the gym, I'd probably listen to books on tape. (I get into it way too much and giggeling while your at the gym....not recommended!!)
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I've got an iPod shuffle too. I :heart: it and don't know what I would do without it (which reminds me, I need to switch up some songs when I get home).

I use iTunes to purchase songs individually. If you have some cd's at home already (who doesn't?), then you can take individual songs - or the entire album - and put in on the shuffle. And definitely, like someone else said, get those tunes that are gonna make you want to move. I'm sure there are other sites out there where you can purchase and download tracks, but I trust iTunes and 99 cents per song is not too shabby.

AddEmoticons00525.gif
  • lauraj828
    Options
    music definitely helps me too! a good book is also a great option. if you're on an elliptical machine or a stationary bike, try reading something that keeps your attention and that you enjoy, rather than watching the minutes slow pass by on the monitor.

don't let occasional boredom discourage you or keep you from staying on track!
  • Fab140
    Options
    music definitely helps me too! a good book is also a great option. if you're on an elliptical machine or a stationary bike, try reading something that keeps your attention and that you enjoy, rather than watching the minutes slow pass by on the monitor.

don't let occasional boredom discourage you or keep you from staying on track!

Reading on the treadmill, though, is not recomended!!! hehehe....
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    My gym has magazines and the machines have a place to hold them when you flip through. I also see the ladies who do the stair climber read HUGE novels! :laugh: I just listen to music usually, though. I still get really bored, but it does help!
  • turtle
    Options
    I was the same way but fortunately summer came along, which meant swimming, hiking, and walking/running outdoors. Sometimes you just need a new view. I also ditched the gym and got into horseback riding lessons and yoga classes.They're both things I love and I hardly consider them a workout because I'd be doing them regardless of my weightloss goals. Good luck. Remember, do what you enjoy to lose weight. Otherwise, you'll just gain it all back later.
  • Fab140
    Options
    I was the same way but fortunately summer came along, which meant swimming, hiking, and walking/running outdoors. Sometimes you just need a new view. I also ditched the gym and got into horseback riding lessons and yoga classes.They're both things I love and I hardly consider them a workout because I'd be doing them regardless of my weightloss goals. Good luck. Remember, do what you enjoy to lose weight. Otherwise, you'll just gain it all back later.

Perfectly put!

If you hate it, and you know you hate it, find something else fast! When we hate things, we are less likely to do it. Take a dance class or take the workout out doors when it's nice. Find videos that you've always wanted to try. So long as your moving and enjoying it, you'll be a better person at a better weight!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    When I got my Ipod I put all of my cds on it. I dont even have cds in my car anymore cause I bought one of those fm receivers for it. I have over 800 songs on mine and I just hit shuffle. If I didnt have my ipod I couldnt walk at the park for an hour at all.

Connie
  • Fab140
    Options
    I know, one should do their research BEFORE opening their mouth, but better late than never. I just read your profile and it said you're trying to get fit for a mission in kenya. Cardio machines are great, but if you really want to get your body moving and grooving for your time in Kenya, I definetly suggest doing more than machines. Boot Camp videos, out door walking/running intervals, with a mix of machines and classes if you can squeeze one in here and there will benefit you more than machines alone. :happy: Just my humble opinion :flowerforyou:
  • curlhair
    Options
    I know, one should do their research BEFORE opening their mouth, but better late than never. I just read your profile and it said you're trying to get fit for a mission in kenya. Cardio machines are great, but if you really want to get your body moving and grooving for your time in Kenya, I definetly suggest doing more than machines. Boot Camp videos, out door walking/running intervals, with a mix of machines and classes if you can squeeze one in here and there will benefit you more than machines alone. :happy: Just my humble opinion :flowerforyou:

good call, megan! i would like to do more outdoor walking/running intervals. that's something i can do in my neighborhood, too, so it will be easy to add to my routine!