Luna Bar

Options
I just bought a couple of Luna Bars. When should I eat them? Are they for a snack or meal replacement??

Replies

• jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    They are good for occasional snacks, or to stick in your handbag for emergencies. No bar should be used as a meal replacement.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes eat them... they are so good... I usually eat them as a snack.
  • alex51026
    Options
    I use them as a snack, i'm actually eating one right now. I know they say they are for women, but unless they are loaded with estrogen and I don't see it on the label I think I will be ok. I think they taste better than powerbars.
  • NicoleAJordan
    NicoleAJordan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I LOVE luna bars...I use them sometimes to kick start my metabolism first thing in the morning then have a snack at 10:00 or so to get adequate calories in combination with lunch. They are better than nothing if you do not have time for breakfast!
  • skrupka
    Options
    I have one every morning with my coffee. It really helps me keep the calories down so I can save them for lunch or dinner!
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Are they good? Never heard of them.
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    Oh I love Luna Bars. I especially love the Protien Cookie Dough ones. yum!

I will usually eat them as a snack, or when I know I'll have a late lunch.
    Sometimes if I'm in a hurry in the mornings before work I eat them with my yogurt, that usually holds me until lunch time.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    how many calories are in that?i like natures valley sweet and salty almond bars they are 160 calories and makes you feel like you are eating sweets lol:tongue:
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I L-O-V-E Luna Bars!!! They keep me full forever, and were about the only food I could keep down when I was pregnant... I usually have them for breakfast with a banana or some yogurt, and coffee. They are also good about 1/2 - 1 hr before a workout, as a "power" snack.

Enjoy... Chocolate Peppermint Stick is my fave!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I only use them when I am backpacking/ snowshoeing/ biking, when I need protein and calories. They have too many calories for me to use them as a snack and not enough for a meal.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oooh I am looking into them now- always looking for something nummy and new to snack on! Thanks for the heads up everyone! :)
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    There are about 180 calories in the regular Luna bars (protein ones are ~170) . My favorites are Lemon Zest and Chocolate Peppermint Stick, but a new one might be the Chocolate Dipped Coconut once it makes it to my stores.

I sometimes eat them for breakfast if I'm in a hurry but normally as a snack..
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Luna Bars.

I make them in the summer. I don't know why; they're just a summer food for me. You could make them any time. :smile: If you have a food processor, you can make them pretty easily (and probably much more cheaply) with dried dates (watch for pits), other dried fruit, and raw unsalted nuts. I use 1/4 cup dried whole dates, 1/4 cup other dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, apples, or even more dried dates) and 1/3 cup nuts.

Put the fruit in the food processor and pulse until it's a paste. Scrape out with a spatula. Put the nuts in and pulse until they're chopped up nicely (not all the way to dust). Scrape out. Put the nuts + fruit together in a bowl and moosh together with your fingers. Shape it into a rectangle with wax paper, then cut into smaller pieces. Usually I cut mine in half so I have two "bars", but I've been known to cut them into smaller bite size squares too. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in a big plastic zipper bag. (I store mine in the fridge; not sure if that's strictly necessary, as they've never lasted long enough in my house to go bad...)

A dangerously good variation is to use all dates for the fruit and instead of 1/3cup nuts, do half nuts, half dark chocolate chips. Yum!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Love Luna Bars! (Nutz over Chocolate is my favorite flavor http://lunabar.com/products/bars/nutz_over_chocolate/)

They're great "emergency snacks" to keep on hand. I usually have one or two in my purse and they come in handy when I'm running errands all day long and either me or my son gets hungry. They taste really good, and have just enough calories/protein to keep me satisfied enough that I'm not tempted to hit a drive-thru.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    After posting I really started craving one . . . good thing I keep one in my bag :)
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I really want to try them now. They sound really good.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've used them for a 10am snack, but they are higher in carbs and I'm trying to cut down. The peanut butter one is awesome though.
  • annabanana05
    Options
    wow thanks for all the feedback everyone. i will definately be trying on of mine today!!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 6:30 am and usually have a Luna bar before my 10am Zumba class :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I like 'em well enough. But the sugar level is kinda ugly for such a relatively small bar, so I only have them every now and again.