P90X Plyometrics

Options
Ok so this is my second week on the program and today was my plyo day.. Goodness I HATE this workout.. Does anyone else have problems with their knees feeling like they may shatter if you try to bend down? Does this go away or not? I only did thirty minutes today because I just couldn't deal with it any longer. Next week I think I might try using a knee brace, think that would help?

Replies

• Becs25
    Becs25 Posts: 79
    Options
    I think it goes back to making sure you land softly. I also hate that workout and when I focus on landing softly I don't feel my knees near as bad.
  • Aaronc909
    Options
    I have read around here that most people should avoid Plyo if they can't handle the high impact workout and fill it in with something else until they make their way up to it. I could be wrong but thats just what I've seen recommended. I would rather fill in with something useful than cause a setback by hurting myself.
  • bpanter
    bpanter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It goes away, but you did the right thing by taking it easy. P90x is more rigorous a workout then most people are used to initially. Typically, a user would feel fine after the first day or two - like this isn't so bad - but the main pain comes after the first week. You feel like you "can't" do it, or that you're failing and not improving. Don't let it get to you. Eventually, the workout becomes easy and fun, and you are laughing at Tony. In fact, I do Plyo now on my "off" days of Insanity.... and I hated it just like you when I first started ;) Good Luck..
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    anolan... a few questions.

1 - are you working out on carpet or a hard surface?
    2 - what kind of sneakers are you wearing?
    3 - do you have a history of knee issues?
  • paleonyx
    paleonyx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can express HOW much I hate this work out lol. I started P90x by doing Plyometrics the very first day. I was almost in tears about halfway through. I made it all the way through, but it was not pretty. I can do the whole thing now but I'd still rather not. I am not a fan of jumping as half of my foot is held together with rods and screws. Every other week I skip Plyo and do Cardio X instead and then run a few miles.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    Ok so this is my second week on the program and today was my plyo day.. Goodness I HATE this workout.. Does anyone else have problems with their knees feeling like they may shatter if you try to bend down? Does this go away or not? I only did thirty minutes today because I just couldn't deal with it any longer. Next week I think I might try using a knee brace, think that would help?
    Check out your book, there are 3 versions of P90X....switch to the Lean version, it replaces Plyo with Cardio X, and it's much lower impact. I had to switch because I have a foot injury....
  • doncheco
    Options
    Cardio X is a great alternative, if this is too intense on your knees.
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I wear a knee brace but i've made it thourght several times without it. I agree you could do cardio x if plyo is too much for your knees.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm doing lean week 3 - no poly in the schedule ... not I'm scared! lol
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    The workout is great for explosive leg power. I have a 10 x 10 wrestling mat that is thick enough to reduce impact. They are worth every penny. I do plyo bare foot. Trail running in summer helped my ankle strength also. I bought my mat from the company below....

http://www.dollamur.com/
  • Ellajne
    Options
    I just started it this week, and the Plyometrics are easier on your joints if you wear the appropriate shoes, (I wear cross trainers, has extra ankle support), I workout on carpet, and keeping your body warm is very important the whole way through. I switched to P90X from Jillian Michael's workouts, and it's more intense but is following pretty much the same idea. I was able to handle it,and it's a nice change for the workout. As your joints become stronger, you will be able to handle the workout a lot better. Take a glucosamine condrine supplement daily to give your joints strength and flexibility.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd take it easy. Plyometrics can be hard on people, even the young and healthy types (as well as the old farts like me).

In the beginning, do just one day of plyo's a week, low height on your drops, no weight, and so on.

Every other week, try moving up a little in one criteria. JUST ONE.

I cannot over-emphasise how BAD the idea of using cushy shoes is. The idea is to get your body to understand and control the weight. Relying on shoes is taking away natural feedback your body has, and is just asking for trouble.
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

• anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

1- It's in the basement on carpet.
    2- cross training New Balance
    3- Never use to but in the past few years they just don't seem to be able to let me bend like I use too.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i'm so opposite. it's my fav!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MODIFY and follow Pam (the blam!)
  • hardybelle83
    Options

1- It's in the basement on carpet.
    2- cross training New Balance
    3- Never use to but in the past few years they just don't seem to be able to let me bend like I use too.

Hmm.. if you had said you were working out on hardwood floors with running shoes, that would have been the problem :) Maybe you need to get some sort of Plyo mat (sold on Beachbody, but you can get them @ Walmart) to add extra cushion to the carpet. Just make sure you get something that won't slide around. And modify, modify, modify! Try low impact moves -- Don't do every jump if it hurts. You're still new to the program, so it might take a little while. Once you've gone through a few weeks of Legs & Back, your knees might surprise you & stop hurting. Lots of times, our quad muscles aren't strong enough, and our knees can go off track. Working your leg muscles may improve your knees.

But, please! None of us here are medical professionals, and even if we were, we haven't examined your particular problem, so just take our advice as a starting point. Listen to your body. Your knees are one thing you want to save. I have knee problems (alignment issues that are hereditary & can't really be fixed), so I"m sensitive to these problems. With a great Plyo mat, good sneakers, and lots of leg strenghtening, I'm able to complete Plyo without pain (although I modify the Mary-Catherine lunges slightly). If it gets worse (and ice/rest doesn't help), don't hesitate to get in touch with a good doctor! Best of luck!!
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i'm so opposite. it's my fav!

Me too!!
    Tire,tire hold........ And Kenpo♥
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have a history of knee problems. I love plyo. I do it barefoot, with no issues it helps me land softly on my toes, but I also run barefoot. I started P90X because of my muscle imbalances which led to knee pain. I agree with the previous posters, Cardio X, but it also includes a little plyo in it. But to modify like Pam in the Video to avoid the high impact until you get used to it. Plyo is my absolute favorite and I would do it over Kenpo any day.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I favor P90x's Plyo over Insanity's Plyo- Way more jumping in Insanity... It's all about correct form, good shoes, good surface that your using.