Sugar intake vs Calories

Options
I tend to have high daily sugar intakes. As long as you are under your total calorie count, how much attention do you all pay to the details like sugar, fats, etc? Particularly if the fats are "good fats" and the sugars are mostly from fruit?

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i ended up taking out the suger counter, it was driving me crazy, as i eat a lot of fruits...it all depends on which kind of sugars you are eating
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Calories are what really matters when it comes to weight loss and if the sugar and fats are from good sources you shouldn't worry that much. You still want a balanced diet and don't want to be way out of whack with MFP's guidelines. If you have diabetes then sugar intake, even from fruit, matters more than it would for the average person.

FYI: For your fruit an veggies, the majority should come for the veggie side of things. If you eat 6 servings it should be 4 veggies and 2 fruit.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    i just looked at your diary and you eat pretty clean.. i wouldnt stress over the sugar too much...
  • Greenbaum
    Options
    I just pay attention to the calories and I have lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I think the sugar, fats, etc. are more for health rather than weight loss. Especially if you are going over because of "good fats" and sugar from fruits and such.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I did create some of my own nutrition content like with fruits where I took out the sugar numbers. Natural sugar is counted towards Carbs. But it got too tedious. Now I just keep an eye on it and only count the added sugar. I have a sugar addiction and too much added sugar can really aggravate my Fibromyalgia. ( I ate an entire large bag of Lifesaver Sweet and Sour gummy savers last Saturday and boy did I pay the price on Sunday). So I have to keep track of my sugar.
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also switched off the sugar counter as it makes no differentiation between refined or natural sugars and I eat a lot of fruit.

I also don't pay too much attention to the fat counter either - as long as I keep within my calories and eat enough protein I'm happy, my diet was lacking in protein when I first started tring to lose weight.
  • cdavinroy
    cdavinroy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My answer is lay off the sugar. I've had weight reduction success previously with the Atkin's program - carbrohydrate management. Sugar is carbs. drop the sugar and you will ultimately lose weight. I lost 35 pounds and 6 inches in my waist from Jan 2010 to July 2010. I've maintained for the last 7 months, but I am hitting the program again.

I don't know about this system and if you can see my logs, but my first 2 days on MFP my carb intake was about 40 grams. The first day, I had taken in more than 2500 calories and my second day was less than 1800. I don't think Calorie counting is the way to go because it has always left me hungry. Reduce the carbs, add the protein and you will feel full longer. This in turn will reduce your mid day cravings and the weight will fall off.

of course, this is my opinion and a report of what has worked for me. i suggest you read the book and do it as "prescribed".

Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health condition that requires you to avoid sugar, a calorie is a calorie to your body. I have lost the weight I lost simply by counting calories. Nothing else. I avoid sodium, but that is because it pushes up my blood pressure. I eat a lot of fiber, because it helps keep me full. But when it comes down to losing weight it is all about calories in and calories out. It doesn't sound like you are pounding back cans of pop, or eating sugary snack food with little nutritional value, so don't stress about it.

This BTW is from a person who used to do the Zone and lost weight on it. Then I got tired of constantly wondering and trying to stay in the 40-30-30 area, and put the weight back on.

This time I have to lose weight, and as I looked at what I was doing with the Zone, I realized it was no the 40-30-30 it was the reduced calories and the higher fiber keeping me full. That freed me up to eat without all the obsessive compulsive concern about carb, protein, fat, sugar or whatever. I strive for healthy, whole, high fiber food in general whatever the ratio might be. As long as my calories are within the amount allowed for my day.
  • inoakpark
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't have any health issues that would require me to limit sugars. I find it difficult in the winter to get enough veggies in because we try to only eat local vegetables and I get sick of eating massive amounts of greens all the time. I end up eating a ton of citrus because it's what's local and available right now.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over my sugar intake when I have fruit. It drives me batty. On the other hand its OK because it's natural sugar not refined.