eating after a workout?

Options
Eat before or after? I have heard benefits about both. I heard it's best to workout on an empty stomach but I feel hungry and energy deprived. And why is it important to eat right after a workout?

Replies

• bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Eat before or after? I have heard benefits about both. I heard it's best to workout on an empty stomach but I feel hungry and energy deprived. And why is it important to eat right after a workout?
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Both are important, within the context of what your own body wants. People get to learn their own systems so listen to yours but here's the general idea:

Consume some complex carbohydrates about an hour or two before working out. Consume protein within about 30 mins of working out. The carbs before hand offer your body a boost so that you can power through your work out without suffering from fatigue or blood sugar issues. The protein immediately afterward supports your muscles and prevents the body from burning its own muscle stores. It's also something that our system is biologically inclined to welcome. Where our bodies are concerned we have to think back to our roots... our bodies are designed to work for a hunt (workout) then ingest its rewards (protein) and makes good use of it in this order.

If you work out first thing in the morning and you don't have an hour to wait before working out, try having 1/2 an apple first so your stomach isn't TOTALLY empty. Then have a high protein with complex carb breakfast afterward. :happy:
  • celeste15
    Options
    This is based only on what I've heard through a few people but I was told to eat a protein bar or something similar thirty mintues before your workout and then wait an hour after your workout to eat a full meal. Anyone else heard of this? I might be way off but that's what I've been doing and it seems to work......
  • bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This will sound dumb but what is a COMPLEX carb? bread?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    whole grain, or fruit and vegetables are complex carbs.

simple or refined carbs are essentially sugar as soon as you chew them, as far as your body is concerned.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    There is a book called Nutrient Timing that explains this in a very detailed way. Your body needs those carbs and protein post workout (typically a 4:1 carb: protein ratio is recommended). The carbs help get the protein to your hard working muscles. You should eat w/ in 45 min of a workout (the sooner the better) to help your body recover faster.

I prefer to do cardio on an empty tummy first thing in the AM (I run before 5AM, so no time to eat & wait) or maybe a banana. Then afterwards I eat oatmeal w/ protein powder, good complex carb (complex carbs are things like oatmeal, whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc) w/ the protein from the protein powder. And I also add blueberries. I also use the P90X recovery formula which has the 4:1 ratio in it after weight lifting. HTH!

Hope that helps!

Jess
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There is a book called Nutrient Timing that explains this in a very detailed way. Your body needs those carbs and protein post workout (typically a 4:1 carb: protein ratio is recommended). The carbs help get the protein to your hard working muscles. You should eat w/ in 45 min of a workout (the sooner the better) to help your body recover faster.

I prefer to do cardio on an empty tummy first thing in the AM (I run before 5AM, so no time to eat & wait) or maybe a banana. Then afterwards I eat oatmeal w/ protein powder, good complex carb (complex carbs are things like oatmeal, whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc) w/ the protein from the protein powder. And I also add blueberries. I also use the P90X recovery formula which has the 4:1 ratio in it after weight lifting. HTH!

Hope that helps!

Jess

Good info here! I'd add that you may want to consider eating simple carbs post-workout. This is really the only time you'll reap the benefits of simple carbs, but you could have 1/2 bagel covered in jelly, dextrose (think smartie candies), etc.