Question for those who've lost a lot....

Options
chiliflea
chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
Hi there... I'm just starting my weight loss journey and was wondering...

To those who've lost a lot of weight - have you had problems with excess skin? I'm so worried that my skin will be really saggy when I've lost weight... It's one of the reasons I think I've put it off for so long...

Anyone?

xx

Replies

• VeganJamiOnAMission
    Options
    Well, I have not lost a lot yet...but I plan on it. I think the key is losing it slowly so that your skin has time to tighten. The excess skin problems mainly happen to people who undergo gastric bypass surgery or go on The Biggest Loser and lose weight very quickly. It also helps to exercise so you can tone up and take your vitamins to keep your skin healthy. Also, you are still young so don't let the worry keep you from your goal. The older you get the more your skin loses its elasticity.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds so far and I do not have any hanging skin, lets hope that continues.
  • chiliflea
    Options
    thanks guys! it's one of those nightmare situations! My mind is more at rest now!
    x
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have always learned that loosing weight too fast usually can cause a persons skin to sag. I would think a lot of toning with cardio to try and limit or stop sagging. I have some issues on the lower parto of my tummy, but that was after kids, and I am told sit ups to work the lower ab area.
  • karen4777
    Options
    Yes, after I lost 110# I had to have a tummy tuck and breast reduction and lift.
  • karen4777
    Options
    I lost the weight over a 1 year period. After being obese the skin does not tighten back up unfortunately.
  • joemo82
    joemo82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I lost 7 stone I did have exess skin, a lot of that was down to losing it so quickly, buggar all exercise and barely any water.... which helps the elasticity in your skin, slowly does it and you will be fine :) thats why this time I want to tone and lose x
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lost 114lbs ove the course of 3 years and I have extra skin everywhere! I worked out and watched what I ate to lose the weight...so the right way and I have tons of extra skin! I would love to have a tummy tuck someday!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    yeah, losing so much weight leaves its mark....but it looks soooo much better than being very obese....its definately not a reason to not lose weight! it might be an excuse, but not a reason!
  • Melaniemj
    Melaniemj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i lost 5 stone in 9 mths and have issues with excess skin and i was using the wii
  • Melaniemj
    Melaniemj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with sparklesammy even with the excess skin much better without the excess weight - one more stone to go but proving very difficult to move
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it's different for everyone, but the longer you stay overweight the harder it is for your skin to snap back. So GET to it! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Hydrate well!!! It does help, as does bio-oil on any stretch marks (I know I have plenty)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a lot(mean more than 40) but I am doing skin brushing(exfoliates with a natural bristle brush, Google if you wonder) and my skin under my arms feels tighter than it was already. It was a bit loose from expanding during my pregnancy with my now 7 year old with water retention due to hypertension. I don't know what it was but so far they feel tighter it could be the brushing which hasn't been regular yet or the toning I get with 30 Day Shred. I can feel the muscles under the layers of fat too so its probably more that. I have friends online that have noticed a big difference with skin brushing too.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I think a lot has to do with your skin type. I had a friend who gained 6 stone in pregnancy and not a single stretch mark. Also the younger you are the more your skin is likely to recover. Lose it slowly, keep well moisturised from the inside (water) and the outside and tone up as you lose.

Even if you do end up with excess skin your health will benefit from losing the weight and there is always surgery. I'd rather have to tuck my skin in to my trousers than have my top hanging out hiding my whole body! Fingers crossed it doesnt come to that but i'll deal with it if I have to
  • ashandbensmom
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in 15 months. And yes I have sagging skin, but only in my lower abdomen. Although before I was obese I was pregnant with twins, so I think my body was just in too much shock to recover. lol I will say though, that in clothing you can not tell.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds very slow over three years through better nutrition lifestyle and walk/jog/run.
    Just added strength training to tone five weeks ago.
    First pic at age 34. Second pic yesterday at age 40.
    I got a long way to reach my goal of a six pack but maybe another year of hard work.

IMG00020-20110202-1740.jpg
    week5.jpg
  • chiliflea
    Options
    wow thank you all so much for replying! I'm just going to have to see how it goes I guess! And surgery will always be an option if it's really bad I would suppose...

Just keep on keeping on - and drinking water..

Will also have a look at the body brushing - thank you shinkinmel...

Like has been said - best to be healthy with excess skin than unhealthy and overweight!

Oh and sixpackgoal - way to go! You look amazing!
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It seems like there's a lot of variation in people's experience, so probably the best thing you're going to have to do is go for it and see how things work for you. Also, you should check out these awesome before/after pictures from another MFPer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/143278-need-motivation-right-about-now
  • chiliflea
    Options
    It seems like there's a lot of variation in people's experience, so probably the best thing you're going to have to do is go for it and see how things work for you. Also, you should check out these awesome before/after pictures from another MFPer.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/143278-need-motivation-right-about-now

Wow! that's amazing! I can but dream of arms like that! Fingers crossed eh!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Compared to some the 67 pounds I have lost isn't that much, but no skin issues for me so far. (That was in a little over a year)

I think whoever said it is dependent on your skin type probably has it right. Losing gradually will help as well probably.

Just know that even if it is an issue for you. You will still look better, and more importantly feel better because you will not be carrying around that weight. Just to remind myself what it was like, I grab a 65 pound dumbell and carry it around (I used to just pick us my 5 year old by I have lost more weight than he weighs now) to realize that I am not carrying that around any longer, but I used to carry it every day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!