How do u figure out your skinny size?

Options
So I know it has to do alot with your body shape but is there a guideline for if your this height and this weight, your about this size? I'm looking at wedding dresses and not close to where I want to be weight wise. Wondering if I make it to 170 lbs, am I going to be out of the plus sizes.....and do wedding dresses really fit couple sizes smaller?

Any help would be great!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm 169/170 (depending on time of day) and just starting to squeak into size medium. I'm 5'6". Dunno if that helps at all. My dress size (when I buy dresses for church & what not) is 10-12. I take a size 6 jean.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    each dress size is 2 inches bigger than the last if that is any help. i was 245 pounds and a size 24 i am now 178 and a size 14
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    when I got married long long time ago
    I've been with my hubby almost thirty years
    and married 19
    I lost lots of weight then
    I went from a plus size to a 14
    I started my sensible eating in October
    and was married in May

I bought my dress in February and had it altered just a few weeks before we got married
    so really it was a 14 altered in some places

hope that helps a bit
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would say that at 170 you will be looking at sizes 14 or 16 in wedding dresses. They tend to be small for their sizing so, depending on the composition of your 170 (muscle weighing more than fat) you would be looking at a larger 14. I know that at 150ish I am in a size 10 and when I was out last year at 160 it was closer to a 12 (with a modesty panel sometimes).

The consultants at the bridal shop should be able to give you a good picture of where you would be. I do caution that you should not go too many sizes smaller than you are at current when shopping as, although you have the greatest intentions, you may not be able to cut 50 before the wedding (in general, I am not sure of your case or how long you have until the big day). It is always easier to take in a dress than to let one out.

Hope that helps.

Good luck :)
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I got my wedding dress, I was told that about the sizing too, but I was in a size 20 then, and my dress was a perfect fit size 20. I don't know if that's because I got it at David's Bridal or because I'm just odd. :)

And it depends on height and how you carry your weight as to what size you will be at what weight. Right now, I weigh about 176lbs and am 5'6'', and I'm a size 12, which I believe is not a plus size anymore, but I'm not sure.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It really has a lot to do with how tall you are. If you are 5'7" or taller 170 is not very big. It also has to do with how much of the weight is fat or muscle on how you will carry it on your body. I am 5'5" and was weighing in at 158 when I started this and I was not in pluss sizes. So if you are not too short then I would say you should be out of plus sizes by the time you reach 170. Good luck.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    but my dress size is an 18 because of my bust... i would recomend that you get a dress custom made.. go shop for a dress and try on the one you love in the size you are now.. then think right 2 months from now i am going back and trying on the next size down.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    when I was 170 I was a size 12; I'm 5.7"
  • uptonia
    Options
    I would get the size that you are now. I had the same mentality when I was wedding dress shopping and gave myself a year to lose 40 lbs. In truth, I got almost halfway and ended up losing around 15-20. Now I had my dress to custom fit me in Jan,and when I went in Sept to try it on I had to hold it up! Even from only losing some my dress was WAY too big, and we fixed it with alterations.

If I had been shopping for a smaller size, it could have been really disastrous.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    It depends on the brand of wedding dress...Mine was a PC Mary's, and I had to get a 12 even though I wore a comfy 8-10 in street clothes. But I was bold and bought mine (WAY on sale) 9 months early before I could even zip it up...got me to lose the weight!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I do think the sizes run smaller...but I also think sizes vary by store, designer, etc... It is very easy to concentrate on the number rather than the fit. My own clothes can vary by 2-3 sizes just depending on where they were made and/or purchased. I say continue on your path to a healthier you and find the right dress that fits your body perfectly. You will look even more beautiful when you are comfortable in what you are wearing and not tugging, pulling or trying to cover up. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Buying a dress with a corset (tie up) back allows for some wiggle room too... you can always pull tighter if you lost some lbs or leave looser if you didn't. Worked out great for me since I was a few months prego by the time I walked down the aisle!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The wedding dresses are cut smaller. I was at my skinny weight when I got married - 112 lbs. I was in a size 0 to 3 in jeans, but the smallest wedding dress that I could fit in to was a 5. It fit perfectly at the store, but I didn't realize it was stretched out from people trying it on! When mine came in, it was so tight I could barely breathe. This was at 112 lbs, mind you. They told me that they are even smaller when they come in and to just eat nothing but fruits and vegetables all week till the wedding. I didn't to that, of course, but it gives you an idea of what you might keep in mind. Everything worked out great, but it would have been less stressful for me if I'd known about the sizing difference at the time.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I am 217 pounds and most people have no clue that I am actually that big. I carry my weight very well and have a very large chest. I was told by a personal trainer that for me any smaller than 150/160 I would be too skinny. Also a few years back i lost some weight and i was a size 14 at 190 pounds where most people on here say they reached 14 at like 170. Im 5'6 bye the way.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am 161 5'5 and a size 8 but everyone is composed differently so there is no way to say what size you will be. Your shape also goes into it. I have a small frame and square shaped so I barely have hips so I would not be the same size as someone my same height and weight that is say a pear shape.
  • dhill_84
    dhill_84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...lots of help. Not buying right now but wanting to start shopping and from looks of it I can maybe be shopping in reg stores! Ya! I am big chested and 5'9" so if I lose the 80 lbs I might be a size 14!
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am 6 foot and about 220 and I wear a size 14 right now, so everybody is different, it is really hard to predict!
  • rachelnutting
    Options
    I have a big build. I'm 5'7", weigh about 155, and wear a size 14 jeans and sometimes (rarely) a 12. This drives me like absolutely crazy! I wear a smaller shirt size (small to medium) though.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It absolutely depends on your frame. However, on the dress size part of the question, I'm a size 24 jeans and I wore a size 24 dress. However, I had to have it take in on the stomach area to compensate for the girls. So, for me it was the same size. Oh and I'm also 5'8" 315 pounds. Good luck bride to be!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and I currently 171. I fit into large, sometimes medium sized shirts and I am fitting nicely with room in the butt and legs into size 14's. I might fit into 12's but I haven't bothered to go into a store to see.