MOTIVATION!!!....Free to a good home! :)

Options
This is probably going to be a long one, so go get yourself a pint of water and get comfy!! lol

If I can help one person out on here by posting this then all the typing will have been worth it! :smile:

I want to share with you peeps a few theories, opinions and ideas I have been using to help me get closer to where I want to be.

I see a lot of posts and MFP friends getting down about "progress". They aren't noticing a difference with themselves or the scale has shown a loss of 0.4lbs for a weeks worth of hard work. I can totally understand why this can upset people so if you are ever feeling that way then here is an analogy that may help:

Imagine your body is a jacuzzi (or an Olympic swimming pool in my case! haha) which you use every morning. If during the night someone came took a small bucket of water out of the jacuzzi you would never be able to tell the next morning! gradually though, as the buckets mount up you start to notice that maybe the jacuzzi is getting shallower! The important part is, however little the change is, the jacuzzi is gradually being emptied.

It isn't going to happen overnight and everyone reacts to weight loss in different ways so just because Mrs X has lost an inch off her waist after only 7 days, doesn't mean you will but it WILL happen!

There are no short-cuts to any place worth going, and your "Jacuzzi" will over time become a puddle in the bottom of a tank!

Mini Goals!! now I love these, there is nothing better than seeing that you are on track is there??? However you can set yourself up for failure or disappointment if you do not set the right mini goals! Most business folk on here will have come across a KPI of some sort, or even use them! A Key Performance Indicator (or index), businesses use these to track the performance of a product or department and I use them to track my weight loss!!

In my opinion there are safety in numbers, so the more mini goals the better :) However as a lot of us are here for the long haul making a basic goal of "I want to lose 2lbs a week" isn't the best idea. One of my own personal mini goal is to "lose on average 3lbs per week for the next 3 months"

I see a lot of people who will lose 4lbs...YAY!! and then 0.5lbs the next week :-(.....that is nothing to get upset about!!!! That is an average of 2.25lbs over the last two weeks! that's fantastic!! So you lose 4 - 0.5 - 1 - 3 - 2 over 5 weeks, that is an average of 2.1lbs a week! now doesn't that sound a lot better??

Try not to play emotional roulette with the scales too, your weight goes up and down all day! so if you are a scale addict then try weigh yourself at the same time once a day, I prefer once a week but we are all different :)

Back to the KPI's, the scale is one of them but don't just relay on it, measure everywhere!, if you scales measure body fat then do that (its not 100% accurate but as long as its going down :)). Get a shirt, dress, t-shirt that doesn't fit, try it on every week and make sure you TELL EVERYONE when it does!

Most of off all though, believe in yourself...you CAN and WILL do it, you are going to have bad days, great days and average days, its not going to be easy and you will probably hate parts of it but that doesn't mean it isn't possible!!!

Doing anything is 100% more effective then doing nothing :wink:

IMPORTANT!!! - Please understand these are MY opinions and just that, nothing else. I in no way want to come across as telling you what you should do, that bit is down to you. But like I said if one person can take a little bit of what I have said and it helps them then great :smile:

If nothing else you have just had a Pint of water anyway!! :laugh: haha

Ben.

Replies

• thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    that does help :) of course we all wish we could train the hot tub asap, it doesnt work that way. thank you!!!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I love it! I was weighing myself everyday after I worked out, and would get disappointed to not see any loss even after just one day. and then I realized it's not realistic to expect a loss every single day, especially due to water retention and general fluctuations. I'm doing once a week weigh-ins now and am much more happy!
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ben!! It was worth the read and I drank my water :) Thanks for the motivation.
  • laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    :) this is great! xx
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :smile:
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Awwww, Ben, I LOVE your analogy!! I think that will stick with me everytime I start to get down on myself. Thanks for taking the time to try and help someone else. You made me smile. :flowerforyou:
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Wow! You did ramble. Lol jk wise words my darling... speaking to anyone specific?? ;)
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Aww Gracias, Ben! You are too cute!
  • crimsonstars
    Options
    This has helped me, thank you.
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    nicely said :)
  • eed_bookworm
    Options
    Wow! The perfect reminder at the perfect time. I love the idea that after some time each individual bucket out of the Olympic swimming pool will eventually become noticeable. Thanks for taking the time!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    wow! well I guess I should share my thoughts more often! You are all more than welcome folks and I am glad I can help :smile:

....How many of you drank your water though??? lol
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow a really great way to think about it. Nice post.
  • CrystalS
    CrystalS Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the boost! I know I could sure use some right now. :happy:
  • PinnHead
    Options
    Yes you should share your thought more often Ben. Just what i needed to hear, cause you know I was getting ughed!:grumble: I am going to weigh myself after I crap !!! LOL Thats gotta help !:bigsmile: Thanks Ben !:smooched:
  • Ben2118
    Options
    Yes you should share your thought more often Ben. Just what i needed to hear, cause you know I was getting ughed!:grumble: I am going to weigh myself after I crap !!! LOL Thats gotta help !:bigsmile: Thanks Ben !:smooched:

haha!! You don't mince your words do you PH!! :)
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that my love! Nothing but truth in what you said!
    Loved the 'jacuzzi' analogy! Either way we've got to (in the words of Dory) just keep swimming!
  • imom2kne
    Options
    :drinker:

You make some very good points. What helps me is remembering it took decades to get this heavy. It will take a long time (and LOTS of dedication) to lose it. I changed my life about 15 months ago and have lost almost 100lbs. It is a daily decision to exercise, eat healthy and BE POSITIVE about the great job I am doing.
  • Ben2118
    Options
    Thank you for that my love! Nothing but truth in what you said!
    Loved the 'jacuzzi' analogy! Either way we've got to (in the words of Dory) just keep swimming!

Who's Dory?? :tongue:
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This is only my 3rd day on MFP and I just discovered the message boards. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this one it's given me alot to keep in mind. Thank you.:drinker: