No Matter How Hard I try...

Options
I cannot lose weight for the life of me. I've gained 10 whole pounds since I've started trying, and DON'T say it's all muscle, because it cannot be!
I've recently tried extreme measures to lose weight, but always end up resorting back to my food problem.
I really need help losing weight, I feel like I am going crazy.

By the way, I exercise 4-5 times a week.

Replies

• spayne_4
    spayne_4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    open your food diary so we can see.....
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Describe extreme measures? Not eating enough could have been your problem. Then resorting back to your food problem could have caused the weight gain, as you metabolism was low.
    Eating a healthy 3 meals a day and losing slowing is the best bet. Extreme measures just don't work. The only way to do that is to incorporate more cardio in your day (1 hour in the am and 1 in the pm). Other than that, 2 lbs per week max is a great goal. I set my goal to be a range of 1.5-2 lbs per week. Then, I marked on my calendar my starting weight and I subtracted 1.5lbs each week. Then I went back and subtracted 2 lbs. As long as I am in that range on my weigh in day every week, I am happy. The range gets more and more broad, so I only suggest doing it on or 2 months ahead of now, but it gets me motivated to see where I could be in 2 months. Good luck. You can do it with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • irasonrisita
    Options
    Extreme Measures meaning trying to make myself throw up. It's quite shameful really, and I can't throw up anyway. Today was a bad day for food, as you can see in my food diary. Sometimes I can't control myself. It really stinks :(. I'm going to a nutritionist tomorrow, so hopefully that will work.
  • bethann1976
    Options
    If you think you have an eating disorder, please seek counseling! You will find supportive people here, but you may need a bit more than we can provide.
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would definitely need to see your food intake to give my opinion as to why you are not loosing weight. If you don't eat enough calories a day your body will start storing more fat because it doesn't know when it will get it's next meal. If you eat too much the excess food will be stored as fat. It is best to eat three times a day and have two snacks; your biggest meal should be at lunch time. It's best to eat non-processed/packaged foods. Always keep track/write down the calories eat because you never know if you are eating too much or too little by relying on what your "stomach" wants.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why you would consider today a bad day for food. It actually looks like you did well. Don't forget to log your exercise for the day, and eat the calories it recommends. Don't ever eat below 1400 calories a day.

It seems a lot of your eating issues come from feeling guilty about eating. In fact, most people who struggle with weight feel guilty for eating, which is just silly when you get right down to it.

Why should we ever feel guilty for eating? I don't care if you stuffed your face with five candy bars and fifteen slices of pizza, the guilt has got to stop. It's one of the biggest health problem we face today, and I consider it possibly the single most effective path to weight gain and obesity.
    If you eat too much, chalk it up to a day spent having a good time, then start again tomorrow. Everyone who loses and keeps it off has learned how to deal with failure. Every successful diet is packed with days, moments, and minutes of failure. But if you can brush yourself off and keep going, then the failure doesn't mean squat in the end.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium intake? 10 pounds could be some water retention.
  • riesen123
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It might help to plan your days meals in advance. Work out what you are going to eat at each meal & make sure you have the foods in the larder. You seem to have a sweet tooth so get some fruits that you enjoy & snack on them instead of candy..you will find them much more filling. Try & eat three meals a day with a couple of 'planned snacks' as well. Make meals you are going to enjoy, eat them slowly & think about what you are eating. If you want a treat..have it & work it into the calories MFP has allowed you..that way you don't have to feel guilty.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Well, first let me say, I've been eating disordered in the past. The problem with purging (throwing up) is that most of the sugar in a certain food is absorbed FIRST. So even in your mouth, it's already being absorbed. By the time you purge, you've already gotten a good amount of cals out of it - but the good stuff, the protein and healthy nutrients, haven't been absorbed yet. So basically you're taking in the sugar, and not even balancing it with protein, fats, good carbs. Not to mention the fun things like ruining your teeth and esophagus, as well as damage to other systems. Not a good weight loss solution.

Second, any "extreme measures" will either not work, or will temporarily help you lose weight; then you'll gain it back and probably a few pounds extra as your body rebels. Again, not exactly a good idea.

If you feel you cannot get these behaviors under control, you need to seek professional counseling.
    1-800-931-2237
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help-today/

Also, I would REALLY recommend you read the following threads. They help explain why those methods (extreme cal restriction, etc) do NOT work and are not healthy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

Be healthy, not skinny. Skinny isn't worth it. Good luck to you!
  • irasonrisita
    Options
    All of you are so supportive, it really gave me a boost.

I DO go to a therapist for eating disorders, and I am seeing a nutritionist tomorrow. I think I need a strict and healthy calorie plan :)
    Thank you all so much, this is a great weight loss tool :)