Water...!

Options
OLP76
OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
I just want to see what kind of answers I will get and to see what kind of views on this topic.

I drink 3 bottles of water that hold 1.5L..approx 18 cups per day.

I want to see if that is too much water. Thanks for all the responses, in advance. :wink:

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 12-14 cups a day. Its not too much as long as it is spread out through the day.
  • misty1208
    Options
    Humm, me too.. Ive been drinking about 16 -17 a day. About a gallon. I wondered the same thing this morning.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you can drink too much water. I don't know if that's true or not. I drink 9-12 per day. :drinker:
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    thank you so much ladies! I drink one bottle in the mornin' & durin' my workout. Same in the afternoon. My 3rd one is usually from 5pm to 8pm. I feel much better than I'm not alone in so many glasses :) xo
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Given that doctors recommend about 8-9 cups that seems a little excessive.

However there is a so much different information on how much you should and shouldn't drink that I don't think there's ever going to be a straight answer.

So I'd go with drink 8-9 and also whenever you feel thirsty.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I drink about 10-15 a day too...maybe I'll eventually float away..who knows, haha
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I drink around 108 oz a day.
  • Dan0myte
    Dan0myte Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    More than 1 litre per hour or more than 8 litres per day can be lethal. 8 Litres = 32 cups of water. Your kidneys can't process it faster than that and you may become sodium deficient enough to cause a heart attack.

VERY rarely happens though. Just drink when you feel thirsty. Your body will tell you when to stop.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    This is just my 2 cents

You can drink too much water. It's called Water Intoxication. A gallon isn't it. What happens, essentially is that you dilute your body, causing electrolyte inbalance, etc.

I worked outside at a very physical job...in Texas. During the summer, I CRAVED dill pickles because I sweated all the time, and drank lots and lots of water. I always gave in.

I'd say if you start craving pickles, eat one, maybe consider backing off the water a little bit, unless you have a high risk of dehydration and heat stroke like I did. Don't drink large amounts of water all at one time. You will overload your kidneys.

edited to fix "electrolyte INbalance", not balance, reads totally different now, lol
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    I drink about 3 litresof water a day, and haven't had any bad effects, except having to race like a piss horse.

However you can drink too much water. it'll just cause a lack of salt, and sugar in your system, and can lead to serious health problems. my suggestion is to ask your famly doctor, or a health professional.
  • NorbertBenko
    NorbertBenko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    An average person should drink 200mils in every single hour. That means 3.2litre of water daily :) (because you sleep 8 hours).
    But this is just an average. During a hard work-out you can loose about a litre of water so I think your 1.5l is not enough. It is known that women usually drink less than they should and they think "I drunk a lot today...".
    I hope you understand my English. :) (because I'm Hungarian anyway)
  • shirley_1984
    Options
    NEVER too much water... unless you're not voiding!!!! Drink up.... H2O is GREAT for us!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    um you can drink to much water its called something osmosis but basically your sells become too full of water and explode this wont happen from how much your drinking tho
  • rainastar
    Options
    A nutritionist friend of mine said that you should drink about half your weight, in ounces, of water. So, if you weight 200 pounds, you should drink 100oz. of water. I know it sounds excessive, but when I started doing it, I lost about 5 pounds of weight: "water" -weight.
    Just my two cents :)
  • mizliz1981
    Options
    I have heard that also about half your weight in onces. I feel like I really need that much too. For me that is about 2.5 nalgenes.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I drink 32oz during my 2 hour workouts in the pool daily. This is followed by 16.9oz immediately after my workout during my stretching. Then I drink another 16.9oz during dinner and about 8 oz before bed when I take all of my meds/vitamins. So, it comes out to about 74oz daily. I can easily double that on Saturdays and Sundays during housework. Plus I eat a lot more during the weekend, so I am always more thirsty. I should probably drink a little more during the weekdays though.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been gauging if I'm drinking too much water at a time by urine color. It shouldn't be clear :laugh: