Exercise bra recommendations after radiation?

texaslonghorn42
texaslonghorn42 Posts: 34 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I posted this on the cancer sites I am on as well but didn't get that many responses so thought I would throw it out there on here too. I went through breast cancer last fall. I did NOT have a masectomy. I had a lumpectomy with then 7 solid weeks of radiation. I gained about 15 pounds and was not able to work out all all due to side effects, but that is fine, needed to do what I needed to do to get through treatment and get healthy.

Now I am back to exercising again and my breast is KILLING me after jogging. I have tried wearing two sports bras, hell I even tried wrapping my chest in an ace bandge under the sports bras, but yet every "jiggle" is pain. Even some other exercises that cause movement in that area hurt. I am working out more at home to programs since hald the time I have to hold my breast and don't want to do that in public.

Has anyone been through this and found a way to exercise without it hurting or feeling afterwards like that certain part of your body isn't about to fall off? I am almost 4 months done with my last radiation treatment so my sking is all healed (had bad radiation burns for awhile). The scar tissue in my breast is bad but SLOWLY getting better. Would a compression bra fix this? Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    That's rough. First off, congrats on beating a wonderful battle. That's a major victory for you that shouldn't be forgotten.

Have you tried just strength training as you recover. It seems like it was a pretty major surgery, not to mention the effects of radiation therapy on your body. I don't know that your body is quite ready for something as intense as cardio yet, unless you did something like a recumbent bike that would be less impact and "bouncing" on your body. Or even a hand bike. One thing Jillian does in the Shred for cardio is the boxing, but even that might be much b/c of shoulders and pec muscles under the breast itself.

I would try an exercise bike and strength training to help you build more lean muscle and increase your metabolism until your body has had more time to recover.

Congrats again. That's amazing.
  • I haven't been through anything like that but have you been to get fitted? My problem is I'm large breasted and breast feeding but lane bryant has some of the best sports bras I've ever owned. Before I was having to hold mine as well. Maybe your surgeon could recommend something.
  • Have you tried the Enell bras? They are kind of expensive and they are not attractive, but my breasts don't move at all, even with vigorous activity. The bra will actually feel a little tight when you put it on, but it will be extremely comfortably while working out. I actually also bought one size larger than my workout size for every day wear because they are so supportive and comfortable. I have ordered them online at www.seejanerun.com and have also purchased them at the local running store. They run true to size, but the sizing is different from regular bra sizing, i.e. they come in single digit sizing 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc. If you go to the Enell web site it will tell you how to determine your size.

Hope this helps.
  • I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I haven't experienced anything of the sort, but I am a bra fitter... The best one I know of is the Freya sports bra (a uk brand, you'd probably have to get it online, but so worth it), and I'd probably recommend the wire free one ad you've had breast cancer and the wire could cause painful rubbing or constricting. This is the only sports bra that doesn't compress your breasts but it will definitely hold them in place!! Compression is bad as it just squashes your breasts without avtually aupporting them in place. Definitely go in and be fitted though, you'd e surprised how much difference can ba made by simply changing the size you're wearing. The band across the back should be firm, and on the loosest hook, straps should be as tight as possible, but still comfy, and the cups should completely encase your breasts, no spillage or cutting in on your chest or under your arms, and the wire or seam should come in under your armpit BEHIND your breast tissue ( most people wear the wire too close to the breast tissue). Best of luck with your exercise :-)
This discussion has been closed.