Water

Options
Is it possible to drink to much water? I always drink my 8 glasses a day, but somedays i drink so much more. Any info would be great.

Replies

• Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water, it dilutes other minerals in your body. I know there is a name for it, but can't recall it right now
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get water toxicity. It's more common in babies and young children, but it can happen to adults too. It causes a lot of problems, mainly brain issues. 64 ounces is the recommended amount to drink, but it's sort of a minimum amount. If you're exercising a lot you should drink more to rehydrate your body. I drink 9-12 glasses most days, once in a while I get as high as 15. But I wouldn't drink more than 20 8oz glasses.
  • heavenrain
    heavenrain Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 litres a day!! They say you are suppose to drink half your body weight in oz. I looked it up once and it said that it is possible to drink too much water, but its a LOT of water. The chances of you drinking that much are slim I think. It was a couple years ago so I cant remember the exact amount. Google it!!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, water intoxication is what it's called. Too much of a good thing can be bad!

In my undergrad we learned about this and there was a lady that died because of it in order to win a Nintendo Wii for her kids.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/

This is a severe case as she wasn't outputting all the water she was consuming.. but even if you were going to the bathroom, there is a point where too much water can be deadly.