Drinking too many calories

Options
I just realized...I am drinking way too many calories. I love milk...I don't care what meal I am eating I want milk with it. I drink skim milk but that adds up. I realized today that I could eat a good amount more if I could stop drinking milk.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Yep. I love milk too.

It doesn't keep me full for long, though. Gotta up the fiber - but do I hafta like it?.

I feel your pain. Good luck
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Ha, ha . . . from your topic I thought you meant beer!
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Drinking your calories does seem like quite a waste. I don't even have milk around the house anymore since I learned what a horrible bang for the calorie buck breakfast cereal is. I enjoyed drinking a little chocolate milk in the evenings when it was around, but I switched to fresh brewed iced tea for my drink of choice.

Do you get really cheap milk working as a teacher?
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Ha, me too. Or some form of alcohol. :)
  • niresupernova
    Options
    I don't have a solution- but milk is good for you so I don't think you should stop drinking it. I stopped drinking milk when I was on weight watchers a few years ago because I thought I would rather eat my calories. It turns out, diet soda gets tiring after a while and has no nutritional goodness like milk has.

Keep drinking the milk!
  • teeminus30
    teeminus30 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of calories too, lattes, coca-cola, evening drink. Now I only drink water and treat myself with a lower cal latte occasionally and cocktails only on special occasions (which I think I have down to once a week). You and I have very similar goals. My goal weight is 144. I'm in the 150s now. Do I get to go Pocanos? :) J/K
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't stop drinking milk! Or at least don't stopping eating dairy products. This is your last chance to stock up on calcium... once you hit your 30s, your bones stop absorbing calcium the way they did earlier in life. And there are studies that show 2-3 servings of milk a day help you with your weight loss efforts (something about the calcium).

If you were drinking alcohol or soda, then I'd say go ahead and "quit it" but, as they say, milk does a body good. :)
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    same i miss my starbucks, salted caramel hot chocolate
  • tonydarkstorm
    Options
    Im lactose intolerant so when I have my cereal in the morning I have almond milk. thats 40 calories per 1 cup, so that would be easy for me to have with every meal. I just use it really to dampen my bran flakes, I usually only drink water. I used to have fat free milk in the morning but that adds up with 90 calories per one cup, so I edged away and went on to almond milk.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    Can you replace it with a lower calorie substitute? I used to drink at least 2 cups of chocolate milk a day. Ive changed to soy milk and now only drink 1 8 oz serving a day usually. They even make 90 or less calorie chocolate soy milk. It is pretty yummy.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Don't stop drinking milk! Or at least don't stopping eating dairy products. This is your last chance to stock up on calcium... once you hit your 30s, your bones stop absorbing calcium the way they did earlier in life. And there are studies that show 2-3 servings of milk a day help you with your weight loss efforts (something about the calcium).

If you were drinking alcohol or soda, then I'd say go ahead and "quit it" but, as they say, milk does a body good. :)

The calcium supposedly binds to the fat in your diet so you excrete it instead of absorbing it.
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options

Me too, that's my problem anyhow!

Good luck!
  • MaddiesMommie
    MaddiesMommie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hehe. So did i
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    I love milk too. It's a good incentive to exercise more - then treat yourself to something milky!
    I gave up drinking coffee cos I was drinking way too much of the stuff - so my milk intake was at least a pint a day easily. Now it's just on my cereal and occasionally a milky drink before bed :smile:
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    Yes - me too. I used to drink 2 (occasionally 3) gallons of skim / week! I've cut down, but still almost always have 16 oz with dinner. If I have it at other times of the day I try to use my small glasses and that helps. I just work the calories into my day because I don't know if I could ever give up milk!
  • hwiser
    Options
    Don't stop drinking milk just limit yourself to like 1 cup a day (it's only 80 calories!). As a woman you need the calcium, and if your like me and don't like bananas, milk is a good source of potassium! Best of luck!
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    Haha my topic does sound alcohol related. Funny thing is...I couldn't tell you the last time I had an alcoholic drink. I'm guessing 6 months or more. I just tend not to drink. Guess that is a good thing now.

While I'm at work I don't drink milk (despite being a teacher Lol) School carton milk grosses me out. I have been home with a migraine since Sunday so I have consumed a ton more than I typically do. I just love the taste of a nice glass of milk. I can't think of a food that it doesn't pair well with. I think I am going to go to Target tomorrow and buy tumbler glasses. They are smaller so maybe I can trick myself. I'm also toying with the idea to switching to soy or almond milk. Maybe I won't like the taste as much which in turn will make me drink less.

Decisions, decisions...

BTW...totally craving a brown sugar pop tart right now...with a glass of milk of course.