Carbs

Options
So I have decided I am going to cut major carbs from my diet - so pastas, potatos and heavy starches have got to go! ... Is that a good idea... I had not even 1/2 a cup of wheat pasta with my dinner tonight and I wish I hadn't... So I think if I cut those heavy carbs out I would feel better and drop the weight faster... thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Don't cut out too much. Your body needs carbs as part of a balanced diet. Try to get carbs from veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Carbs are essential for energy- they give us the instant energy that we need.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am in a weight loss group at a local hospital and part of the diet is no starchy carbs. I have followed the diet to a tee since I started three weeks ago, and I feel great and have energy all day long. I haven't eaten a potato or drank a beer since the start. I eat anywhere from 80 to 100 carbs a day, all from fruits and veggies. Good Luck.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't cut out carbs completely. Cut out the simple carbs (sugars etc). And choose more complex/low gi/good quality carbs - in smaller portions, and try have them earlier in the day rather than late dinner or supper.
  • meglane
    Options
    You can't burn fat unless you eat carbs plain and simple. Get your carbs form better places. Anything white should go so bread, white potatoes, etc etc. Try doing sweet potatoes (which are just as good as some fruits!), lots of veggies, whole grain bread, more wheat pasta.

Everything in moderation and well balanced. Our bodies are very complex and require a diverse group of foods. Atkins was a bad man for convincing people that carbs were bad. Your body absolutely needs them.

I personally stay away from processed foods other than occasional baked goods that I make (doesn't make them any better haha), occasionally cheese, and bread.

If it comes boxed or canned I typically just stay away. it conserves calories and keeps my body functioning like a well oiled machine.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    From what I understand the idea is not to fully cut them out but change the types. Eat whole wheat instead of white pasta and bread. If you don't want to eat normal white potato try sweet.
  • mandalina23
    Options
    Ok, that's what I was leaning toward... I just want to stay away from, how do I say it, well yes the starchy ones and the really heavy ones. but not cut them out....I have a great sweet potato baked frech fry recipe, so not really fried, but it's sweet potatos cut in the shape of a fry or pt. wedge... a bit of cooking spray sprayed over them salt and rosemarry... so yummy! Anyhoo Thanks everyon!!!!