1 month in and I am slipping up...

Options
I have been on MFP for almost a month...I think I saw logged in 25 days in a row....I had a bad weekend and it has spilled over into my week....here it is Weds and I am over calories again. What is wrong with me? I have lost over 7 lbs and I am on the road to gaining them back...I need some help. My husband is not the most supportive...he eats whatever he wants whenever. I realize I eat to big of portions i am doing my best to messure everything....I am not an exerciser...I have a treadmill and a recumbent bike but just can't seem to bring myself to use them everyday...I want to lose weight but for some reason I like food more....the strange thing is when i over eat I do not feel well...I know it is in my head.....Any words of wisdon or advice for the queen of yo-yo dieting :)

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't let one bad weekend (or some weekdays) deter your progress. Start each and every day fresh. Remember this is a long journey and you can do this... you are doing this for yourself! Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    you have to make a decision. No one can do it for you. I like to think of it as a game. if I stay under my goals, i win if I don't that day i lose. so far the game is about 60 to 1. I'll take that ratio any day. I may sound a bit blunt but the truth i you have the tools,use them. You made it a month, just start the next month and so on........when i feel my wife isn't being supportive, which isn't often but has occurred, i ell her and ask fr her help. Inclusion goes a long way. Go find the horse that bucked you off, slap him in the snout, stick your foot in the stirrup and GET BACK ON
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog about learning to expect failures/breakdowns - maybe it will give you some insight.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/accountant_boi/view/learning-to-expect-breakdowns-and-how-to-handle-them-47162
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    First of all, it's hard to get started and stick with things until habits begin sinking in. DON'T be too hard on yourself. DO keep trying. :)

As someone who lives in your neighboring state to the east, it's especially hard to work on exercising during these months. It's so much nicer to just stay in bed a few extra minutes where it's warm! And after getting home from work, I'd much rather crash on the couch under a blanket. You may want to consider what it is about the treadmill and bike that you don't care for. Maybe you're bored with those, and need to change things up. Try an exercise video or two or three, and see if they help get you moving in different ways. If you have a local library with DVDs available for checkout, that can be your best place to start. No commitment! Just check a few things out and see if you like them before considering whether to buy anything.

Finally, start really thinking about where you are, where you want to be, and why you started here on MFP. Whenever you start reaching for something extra, think about those things. Another trick is to do something else whenever you're tempted. Whenever you want something that doesn't fit into your goals, drink some water instead. Or take a short walk/bike, or (if all else fails) tidy around the house. Anything that aligns more closely to your goals.

Some people also peruse the success stories forum whenever they need a little motivation. Friend me if you'd like, and good luck!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    With exercise, why don't you like to do it? Do you get tired easily and feel crappy? I was the same way, and it was super hard to get motivated to exercise. Eventually though, I found a method that ended up working really well for me. I got on the bike 10 minutes every day. 10 minutes isn't bad, it's really not that long a time. I got in the habit of doing that every day, and each Saturday I added one minute. So the first week I did 10 minutes a day. The second week I did 11. 11 still isn't much right? It's not too long, and it goes by pretty fast if you watch TV or a movie while exercising.

Eventually I started really enjoying my exercise. Sure, some days I didn't feel like doing it, but I did it anyway! When you start out as low as 10 minutes, it's easy to just do it anyway. Keep adding 1 minute each week and you'll find yourself getting into better shape than you ever could have realized, just in a matter of months. And the more you get into shape the more you'll enjoy exercise!

And if you get discouraged, remember: Some exercise is better than no exercise!
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Remember a few of my favorite quotes, when you have days or weeks like this (because we ALL do!)

"Nothing tasts as good as thin feels." (Remember how grat it felt to lose those 7 lbs?)
    ""Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." (Just get back on track and forget the weekend.)
    "If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always gotten."
    "It's not what you do when you are motivated that counts, it's what you do ywhen you are not."
    "Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it."
    "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." (Making eating right and exercise a habit, not a goal.)
    "Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there." (Keep going. You can do it!)
    "Success does not come to you. You go get it."
    "Forget mistakes. Forget Failure. Forget everything except what you are giong to do now and go do it!" (Great one for times like this.)
    "The longer you wait to decide what you want to do, the more time you are wasting." (Just make the decision to get back up and keep going today, right now. Not tomorrow, not at dinner, but right now!)
    "It's up to you to want something so badly that your passion shows through your actions." (I like this one when I see the scale stuck and wonder why.. then look at my exercise log and only see a few hours for the week.)

Good luck. Make a quote book and look at it at times like this, get yourself back up and keep going. The sooner you get back on track, the more damage control you can do to get yourself moving back in the right direction. Never give up. You can do it. If you ever need more quotes, message me!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    Stick with us! We all have set backs and after the first month some of this trying to eat right and exercise and change old habits gets very tiring. The scale doesn't cooperate and it's frustrating. Just focus on one day at a time. If you eat too much one day start again the next. Make as many healthy choices as you can but allow yourself a treat once in awhile so you don't feel deprived. I also struggle with portion control. Try using a smaller plate and tell yourself before you eat there will be no second portions. Chew slowly so you feel full. If we eat too fast we don't recognize we are full or satisfied and we go for more. Make half your plate veggies and 1/4 for meat and 1/4 for carb. If you aren't ready to incorporate exercise get a pedometer from Walmart or somewhere and wear it each day. See how many steps you actually walk in a day. About 2000 steps equals a mile I think. You may be surprised how many steps you do take. Build up to 10,000 steps a day eventually. You add on a lot of steps if you park further from the door, take the stair, not the elevator, clean house, etc. Hang in there and stay away from the scale if it is frustrating you. Focus on how you feel and adjust your eating accordingly. Try to remember how you feel when you overeat before you do. You can do it so stay with us! Friend me if you need encouragement...jrbanta:flowerforyou:
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    It is a lifestyle thing....

remember that it will take time to change.

My wife and I finally had to get up every morning and work outbefore the kids were up. It has become something we do before anyone else gets there mits on us and it feels good. When I was doing it myself it was the best way (am workouts) .

We started to change when we made healthy choices toward exercise. The healthy eating followed.

Take it one day at a time.
  • pjd1973
    Options
    When it comes to diet and exercise, you are my long lost twin! I too have a husband that eats whatever whenever. I feel your pain. The best piece of advise I can give you is to find your motivation. Why is it that you want to lose the weight and remind yourself of it every day. I just started the program about a week and a half ago so I'm no veteran to this I just know how you feel. As far as exercise find something that you like to do. For me it's my wii and dancing. I have it set so I only have to do 30 min 3 days per week, but if I see I'm getting close to my calories for the day it gives me an incentive to do some sort of exercise so that I can eat a little more. It sounds like your doing great 7lbs. lost is nothing to sneeze at. Keep going and you'll get to where you want to be. If you'd like you can add me (pjd1973) and maybe we can help each other. Also remember that when losing weight there is times when you plateau. It usually takes your body a few weeks to get moving again. This is the time when you really have to stick with it.
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    you all are what i needed...I am suppose to weigh in tomorrow and I am going to...I need to see the damage....I agree I need to get up and start my day with exercise :) that way I won't make excuses after work to go downstairs. you all are right this is something I have to do for myself (I want to do this for the very reasons I stated on my home page).

I really enjoy walking but sometimes it is hard....especially if I wait to late at night...I watch my TV and that helps :) I do have some videos and a friend of mine told me I need to shake things up....I agree...my first change is I am going to get up at 6 when my husband does and walk....wish me luck :)

I will tell you I am physically sick because of what I have put in my body the last 4 days...I hate this feeling I have to say most of january I felt good and that is because I was watching what I was fueling my body with. My husband and I go out to eat a lot I have to learn better healthier restaurant choices....someone told me they right away take half their plate and put it in a take home container....any other ideas out there. I vow to do this for ME...thanks again to all who shared with me :)
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Get up in the morning and tell yourself that it's a NEW DAY and you are BACK ON TRACK!! The only person who really matters in this journey is you. And if you fall off the wagon, SO WHAT! It's your wagon to fall off of and yours to get back on!! You WILL get there!
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm losing my motivation as well. I have been battling a migraine since Sunday and just want comfort foods. I'm hating myself for not getting to the gym but I just can't. In turn...I want to binge.

I wish I had words of encouragement. I'm just in the boat with you.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Have you tried looking up menus online? We always try to pick a restaurant to go to ahead of time. Then, I look up the menu and find something that I know I will like and will fit in my calorie goal. My husband and I have tickets to see Dane Cook here in Dallas on Saturday. The plan is to go out to eat before the concert, so I am already looking up restaurants and deciding what I want. I add it to MFP and make my other meals fit into my calorie needs. It really helps to plan ahead. Or, if the unexpected strikes and I have to work an event I didn't plan on and I need to eat out I look up calories at fast food places on my phone and choose.

Planning is the most important thing. You can't change what you ate once you have alread put it in your mouth. But, if you go to a restaurant and you choose something that you really want, you know you can cut it in half and take the rest home. That's a great strategy, especially as we all hit our goals and have more calories to eat in a day for maintenance. Once you know what choices at each restaurant you can have, it becomes easier to plan! Just like learning new portion sizes!

Good luck. You can do it!!
  • MaryGuenther
    Options
    i do know what you mean by falling off im there to some days i just want to stop but i just think about how good i feel when i dont . Wishing i had some people who believed in me would help more to but as long as you believe in you we will get there. I had a really bad week to so for sure we all have them.
  • Taras630
    Options
    My husband is the same way...I workout by myself while he lays around. Yesterday I watched him burger king while I had a salad :frown: . I do a lot of walkimg as my workout and since I love music I listsen to it and certain songs actually make me walk faster! Hope you have a better end of the week!
  • 1berrybrook
    1berrybrook Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Move your work out machines in front of your TV and that will keep your mind busy while your body gets the work out!
  • jsavy
    jsavy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also eat out a lot, I am a widow and alone so it is cheaper usually just to eat and get done with it, when I go to a resterant first thing I am going over the menu and asking questions, and your friend was right that is a good trick, I try to stay with some kind of grilled chicken or salads and fish too, Applebees has a Weight Watchers menu too you might think about.

When I am home I try to make things like soup and freeze some for another day. One thing you may try is using a smaller plate, use lots of vegetables and there is many things on the grociery shelf too........ Smart Ones are made by W/W and I love the Skinny Cow fudge sickles, you might like race cakes for a filler or popcorn at night. There is 35 calorie a slice of bread you may check into, it feels good to make a sandwich without worrying about the calories, if you like tuna you might try that.

I don`t exercise either and have lost many a pound and put it back on so you can loose, it is all a frame of mind. One thing might help is talk to yourself in front of a mirrow literaly and tell yourself each day you can do it. When I overeat I am miserable and my health is suffering so it is past time for me..........God Bless and you keep on keeping on you CAN do it! :flowerforyou:
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is why I joined MFP....I was really down today and could have been easily just like any other plan I have started and stopped. I read what you all have to say and it inspires me to keep going.....one thing I learned tonight I am doing this for myself NO one else...my health my self worth ME :) and it feels good to say it. On that same note nobody can do it for me it has to be ME to do it. I need to talk more with my three children and husband....they can't read my mind. I am actually going to sleep in my walking clothes so it is easier to get up in the morning to walk :) Second thing I learned is plan ahead .... I realize if I put the food in the journal first before I eat it I will see how many calories I am working with and then if I need to cut back I can before it has gone in my mouth. Last thing today that I learned is I am not alone....you all are here :) Thank you again!!!
  • candycana
    candycana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go find the horse that bucked you off, slap him in the snout, stick your foot in the stirrup and GET BACK ON

Love it, love it, love it! Even if that horse is thy self! You can do this. You must do this! Don't give up. Tomorrow's a new day. Forgive yourself and move on! We're rooting for you.
  • vmilam03
    vmilam03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I recently heard it put this way. "It's a marathon, not a sprint." I am just starting out and already this has helped encourage me. Yesterday a co-worker and I had lunch together for the first time in months...just too busy lately...so we splurged on mexican- I was proud of myself for not eating the entire plate like I normally do...THEN I get back to the office and a vendor had brought in a giant platter of Subway cookies, warm and fresh out of the oven! OMG! I so blew it yesterday and then went home and crashed about 8:30 without doing my elliptical!
    I let myself down! So today I am telling myself "A Setback is a Setup for a Comeback!"
    I'm coming back girl! Gonna hit the elliptical for an hour tonight while reading "Get Out of That Pit" by Beth Moore and I'm gonna have a turkey sandwich on whole grain wheat for supper and I'm drinking as much water as my body can hold today!

You can do it girl! We can do it! Wishing you much luck and praying for a comeback for you!!!! God bless!