Best time for most effective cardio? AM/PM? Before/After st

Options
I've read and heard several opinions on when is the best time to perform your cardio in order to maximize the fat burning effects of the workout. Some folks say it doesn't matter at all, while others are die hard fanatics for early morning workouts, yet others debate whether it's better to do cardio before strength or strength before cardio.

What is your take on it, and what's the logic behind your personal belief?

Replies

• kalebsmama07
    Options
    BUMP
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My 2-cents for what it's worth is to do whatever works for your schedule....don't commit to doing an early morning workout if you are not an early morning person!

I personally do early morning, but only because my gym closes before I get home from work so i don't have much of a choice. One thing I do like about the morning workout is that I feel fantastic the whole day; I feel energized and happy, probably in part to the endorphin release.
  • etroupe
    Options
    Per Dr Oz this week it is better to do your cardio work out in the AM. The reason it is said that it is better to strength train first than cardio is so that you are not overly tired and sacrifice the quality of your work out..If you are tired from your cardio work out then you are more than likely to not complete your strength training or use poor form. At least that is what I was told. You have to do what works best for you...You are the best judge on how your body respond to your work out. Are you too tired after either to complete the other, switch it up : )
  • itsmylife28
    Options
    I agree with Scidoc. I do mine early, lots more benefits i personally think. Gets it out of the road, great start to the day, dont have to rush around late a night still getting things done etc.. I find myself happier and more energized for the day =]
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Really the answer is whenever you can get it in.

There is said to be some benefit to doing it first thing in the morning, before eating. The reason is, when you first wake up, your glycogen stores are low, so the body has to tap into the fat to get the energy it needs to work out. It's also a great way to start your day with a nice kick. On the other hand, if you do it later in the day after you've eaten, you will have to burn through the increased glycogen in your blood before you start tapping into fat.

But, if you can't do it in the AM, it's better to do it later in the day, than not at all.
  • destinyshoop
    Options
    Personally I like to do all my workout in the am before I go to work. I work full time and I am a full time student so my time is very limited. I used to get my workout in in the pm, but that just gave me too much energy and I had problems sleeping. So, I don't know what is better in regards to the maximum result for most effective but I believe as long as you workout you are one step closer to your personal goal.:happy:
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My 2-cents for what it's worth is to do whatever works for your schedule....don't commit to doing an early morning workout if you are not an early morning person!

Agreed.

I can't say what time of day/order in your workout provides the most optimal burn, but the fact of the matter is that exercise that takes place, no matter what the time of day, is better than the exercise that doesn't take place. The inclination to exercise does not come naturally to me, so I'm best of taking advantage whenever the mood hits.
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    "The reason is, when you first wake up, your glycogen stores are low, so the body has to tap into the fat to get the energy it needs to work out."

That's exactly the reason I had heard a long time ago that really made sense to me.....only I couldn't remember it! Thanks for jogging my memory :o)
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I have done "fasted cardio" and run anytime during the day that I had time. Fasted cardio yielded 2 pound loss per week like clockwork and the other was just maintaining. Didn't lose or gain. For me it needs to be more than 40 minutes per day 5 - 6 days per week. No matter how much I run in the afternoon, it doesn't matter. No gain... but no loss, either.
  • DoubleO7
    Options
    I workout in the afternoon (but prefer in the morning) I do my straight training first as this burn my sugars and keeps on burning for the next 12 hrs. When I do my cardio after I will burn my fat as my sugars keeps on burning, so it’s a double whammy.

I straight train (full body) 3 times/week, a day rest in between and cardio 6 days/week for 45 minutes.

Chhers:drinker:
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    "The reason is, when you first wake up, your glycogen stores are low, so the body has to tap into the fat to get the energy it needs to work out."

That's exactly the reason I had heard a long time ago that really made sense to me.....only I couldn't remember it! Thanks for jogging my memory :o)
    If the work out is extreme u may need some protein first I'm in week 5 of P90x and found that if I dont put a little something in I cant get through the workout with out feeling tried and faint. I do my workout about 1 hour after I get up. So anyway that empty stomach may do more harm than good play with it and see what works for you. In the long run getting it done everyday is what really matters.