Snowed in and Eating Brownies! Help!

Options
I don't know what is wrong with me! I am snowed in here in Chicago and I ate 1/4 pan of brownies. Really. I had an entire month of staying under calories. I exercised more than 33 hours last month. And today I fell apart. I don't so much need a pep talk. I am done eating for the day. I don't feel so great. (Wonder why????) And WAY over calories. And I know what I need to do. I just really needed a confessional I guess. I can't make brownies with my kids and have just one. I learned that today. The thing that is really bothering me is that my resolution was "living in the gray" this year. Life and mostly, eating, doesn't have to be so black and white for me. That was my mantra. Because I was always feast or famine with my eating. And weighing what I do, clearly more feast than famine. I crave balance. I want to be able to eat one brownie occasionally and walk away from the rest. I think someday I will be able to do that, but clearly I am not there yet. I have made some progress though, because I know my Brownies in the middle of the Blizzard isn't the end of the world. It doesn't mean I am "off my diet". It doesn't mean the day is ruined and I should continue to eat whatever I want to. I means I have to work harder, move more, make better choices, and keep the Ghiradelli's out of my cart! Thanks for listening!

Replies

• Dmonique85
    Options
    (((((hugs))))) !! I <3 brownies. Now I am doing low cal chocolate sugar free mousse. Chocolate is important to me so I had to make a way for it to fit in. Good luck, I am sure you can do it. Give yourself grace, but keep planning. :)
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Take solace in the fact that one day over really overeating doesn't affect you as much as consistently overeating.

I tend to go "way over" my calorie count about once a month. It may slow down progress, but it's also a nice break from the monotony.
  • rubytuesdaynz
    Options
    I visted Chicago once (Im from New Zealand) and I would love to be snowed in there lol

However I hear what you say about baking for the kids - what i have to do now is bake things they like and I don't otherwise I couldnt leave it alone.

Now just hop back on the wagon and don't flog yourself too much over the brownies lol
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    (((((hugs))))) !! I <3 brownies. Now I am doing low cal chocolate sugar free mousse. Chocolate is important to me so I had to make a way for it to fit in. Good luck, I am sure you can do it. Give yourself grace, but keep planning. :)

Thank you! I like the sound of that - "give yourself grace".
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    take this as a lesson learned......either don't make brownies--they can do that with grandma or something, find new things to do with the kids other than baking. Or when the brownies are done, they giet their serving and tell them to hide it. I do that for my family all the time. My husband gets a sweet tooth and I tell my kids take one and hide it. As long as I dont see it, I am fine.
  • misskelly121
    Options
    I am the same way. I can't seem to stop once I start with brownies, or any chocolate for that matter... Ive decided to just not have any until I know I can control myself. Best of luck!
  • MaddyBrah
    Options
    Dont freak out too much! Throw this day away and start fresh tomorrow ! Put in a little extra effort during your workouts this week and eat just that little bit extra healthy!
    But most of all, don't beat yourself up too much. As everyone else says, you've learnt your lesson now. And to have one bad day every couple of weeks or every month isn't a bad thing, its a motivator. If i am under my calorie goal for 2 weeks straight, i allow myself a small shake from mcdonalds or something nice like that. It doesnt have to be fruit and veg ALL the time.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I do that too. It's hard having kids. I can just not buy anything sweet like that but that's not really fair to them. Why should they suffer cuz mommy can't stop at one cookie (brownie, piece of cake, handful of chips, candy, whatever). And why do i even think I am fooling myself when they say "Mommy, can we get this?" and I say ok it will be fine, I won't have any. As if. I always have to try it...then try some more, and more til it's gone and my kids are like "where is it?" and I hang my head in shame. Maybe I'll never be able to eat normal and I will just have to avoid sweets like that like the plague. It really is a struggle but I also have hope that it can get better. More awareness = more power.
  • javamom
    Options
    I do that too. It's hard having kids. I can just not buy anything sweet like that but that's not really fair to them. Why should they suffer cuz mommy can't stop at one cookie (brownie, piece of cake, handful of chips, candy, whatever). And why do i even think I am fooling myself when they say "Mommy, can we get this?" and I say ok it will be fine, I won't have any. As if. I always have to try it...then try some more, and more til it's gone and my kids are like "where is it?" and I hang my head in shame. Maybe I'll never be able to eat normal and I will just have to avoid sweets like that like the plague. It really is a struggle but I also have hope that it can get better. More awareness = more power.

So true! I can really relate to that! The funny thing is, my kids will forget about it and i am the one obsessing over the treat they asked for. Ugh!
  • katierush
    Options
    Yesterday I ate two monster cookies that I made. I made myself input the calories after the first one, so I knew how many calories they were. They used up all of my snack calories for the day and some the calories that I had been short in other meals. I also made myself do an extra workout...plus 20 minutes of shoveling snow...I lost a pound when I stepped on the scale this morning. I know I can't do that daily because I need to be eating the good stuff, but I wanted those two cookies and I didn't want to blow the whole day because of it. I then put the remainder of the cookies into baggies for the kids' lunches. They were no longer in front of me and mine for the taking. There were 5 in baggies today....and I didn't touch any of them. You had one setback, and you didn't even feel good after that. You'll remember that feeling. I bet you will be back on track in no time! If there is a snow day tomorrow..maybe some low calorie popcorn that you can eat with the kids for a snack.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    ugh i know what its like the boy asking for cookies.....but my husband and i are doing this together and so since we do the shopping only healthy things come into the house.....the grandparents are told "DO NOT" bring sweets and the sort into our house, if they want to spoil the kids then they can do that at their place.....since mommy and daddy have very little willpower with the sweets and stuff
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i LOVE chocolate and brownies too and I found the solution.

Pumpkin Brownie Muffins!!

It's a Hungry Girl (yum yum brownies) recipe:

1 box devil's food cake mix
    1 can Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin

Mix!! Don't add ANYTHING else. It's going to be super sticky and hard to stir, but trust me! I spray cooking spray on my fingers to get the mix in the muffin cups :)

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees!

This makes 12 muffins and here's the nutritional info: 181 calories, 4g fat, 357 mg, 37 g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g sugar, and 2g protein!
  • javamom
    Options
    i LOVE chocolate and brownies too and I found the solution.

Pumpkin Brownie Muffins!!

It's a Hungry Girl (yum yum brownies) recipe:

1 box devil's food cake mix
    1 can Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin

Mix!! Don't add ANYTHING else. It's going to be super sticky and hard to stir, but trust me! I spray cooking spray on my fingers to get the mix in the muffin cups :)

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees!

This makes 12 muffins and here's the nutritional info: 181 calories, 4g fat, 357 mg, 37 g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g sugar, and 2g protein!

OOOOOOH! Thanks! Must try (but not today)! :love:
  • aportz
    aportz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OMG ROFLMAO!!! I did EXACTLY the same thing today in KC. Snowed in, made brownies from scratch with kids. TOTALLY lost control and ate multiple brownies. I'll bet yours didn't have thick frosting like mine. UGH! I don't feel good either. Hey...tomorrow is another day. I promise I'll stay away from the brownies if you will...deal?!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I knew as soon as Snowpacolypse was heading our way I'd be tempted to bake (gotta do *something* with these kids...and what if the power goes out and we need sustenance, right?) so I looked up more "wholesome" recipes for us. I wanted something that if/when I ate a ton it would not be earth-shattering.

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-chocolate-chip-oatmeal-nut-cookies-147033

These were actually really amazing. I made two batches and for the second "final copy" batch I halved the sugar and it was STILL quite sweet. I think the next time I make them I may just drizzle honey in the mix. My second batch also subbed raisins for choc. chips and they were great. I couldn't taste the almond butter which was neither good or bad. I like almond butter but the end result was so tasty it didn't disappoint me.

My kids liked the dough better than the end result. :smile: It is *really good* dough.
  • javamom
    Options
    OMG ROFLMAO!!! I did EXACTLY the same thing today in KC. Snowed in, made brownies from scratch with kids. TOTALLY lost control and ate multiple brownies. I'll bet yours didn't have thick frosting like mine. UGH! I don't feel good either. Hey...tomorrow is another day. I promise I'll stay away from the brownies if you will...deal?!

Deal! Mine didn't have frosting, but they were the "triple chocolate" ones!