morning workouts

Options
I am a stay at home mom and I have been working out at various times during the day depending on when I get a chance. I end up wearing my workout clothes all day waiting for the time to get on the treadmill or pop in a video. This leads to missing workouts and looking unready all day because it always gets pushed aside. I have tried in the past to exercise in the morning before the kids get up but I am not a morning person and have a hard time getting up. What are your tricks and tips to getting up in the morning? Should I sacrifice my sleep time for working out? Does it matter what time of day I workout? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what time as day you work out as long as you get it in. If you decide to get up bright & early then you would need to make sure you go to sleep at a pretty reasonable time so you won't end up sleep deprived. I start my work out between 4:15...4:30 in the morning. It took some time to get use to but now I just wake up without my alarm even going off.
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    I am the same as far as not wanting to get up....my wife does prod me a little.

But I will say I feel so much better when I do my workouts in the morning. It truly you-time when you have little ones. Just remeber how good it can feel. I know my day goes better when both my wife and I take care of ourselves before anything else.
  • slimkay1
    slimkay1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have found that morning workouts are the best, because once it is done I don't have to think about it. Even now with two young children, I like to get up before they do an get my workout done. I am not a morning person but you can make the adjustment. Your body will become it own clock after a while. So if you can do it then, early, TV, DVD,Wii games whatever, it doesn't matter, just do it. So when your husband comes homes you can look fresh with a nice pair of jeans or slacks or even a cute little dress.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've heard that when you work out in the morning you burn through your stored carbs first and start burning fat sooner. That aside, I like to work out early in the morning. The motivation is that I do something good for myself first before I dedicate my day to others. Also, it makes me feel energized and focused throughout the day!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Any time that you can commit to, without excuses; is the best time to workout.
  • Dee1006
    Options
    Strength training workouts are the best when you don't have much time and you will actually burn more calories throughout the day! You can do 15min 4 days a week and will see results.
  • harmonymusictchr
    Options
    I like to work out in the mornings, even if it's hard to get out of bed some days. I find that I have more energy on the days I do get up and work out and the days that I don't work out in the morning, I am tired and dragging.
  • Swilson87
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what time as day you work out as long as you get it in. If you decide to get up bright & early then you would need to make sure you go to sleep at a pretty reasonable time so you won't end up sleep deprived. I start my work out between 4:15...4:30 in the morning. It took some time to get use to but now I just wake up without my alarm even going off.

I agree. This weight loss journey is a process that will require supreme sacrafice. The idea of waking up that early seems impossible, but afetr a while it becomes a passion. My wife has started a fitness journey, and like I told her, once you start to see results, your motivation level will sky rocket! So think about trying some new things (even early morning workouts) and watch the pounds fall off.
  • kathryn2bfit
    kathryn2bfit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, it helps to know what others are doing. I'm going to try the morning routine starting, well, in the morning. In the past I have given up with waking up early, so here is hoping that I can stick with it long enough for it to turn into routine! And who knows maybe I can wear a cute little dress before too long!
  • juleslianne
    Options
    Hey :)

I just know from experience that once you start waking up at the same time every morning it becomes a lot easier for your body to adjust. I would also like to add that while yes, working out at any time of the day burns the calories that are necessary, it helps to do it in the morning. Simply, it gets you motivated, but also I visited a nutritionist before I started MFP and she said that working out in the morning kickstarts your metabolism and if you can fit in small (maybe ten minute walks) in the middle of the day, then that will help to keep your metabolism up because it starts to drop unless you get your heart rate up again. This was just something the nutritionist said so I thought it might be of help!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the things I do, or have tried to turn myself from a night owl into a morning lark-work in progress. I have had as many as 5 alarms. I currently have three loud alarms, one by the bed, one across the room and one in another room. I have slept in my workout clothes, but have abandoned that to just keeping my workout clothes right beside my bed. I have been trying to move my bedtime up earlier, but not so successful yet!

I find that the more I enjoy my morning workout the easier it is for me to get up. If you can find something you absolutely love to do it will become easier to wake up.