Crazy goal???

Options
My daughter's school is having a 5k run on April 2nd. I ran track in high school but that was a LONG time ago. I'm just now getting back into exercising and am not sure if this is a goal I can make. Do you think I'm setting myself up to fail?

Replies

• nelsonja15
    Options
    No, not at all! I'm always so surprised when I hear people with a running background think that they can't do a long distance goal. You can totally do this! I've never been in track, and never had a "runner's body" but I took up running a few years ago, and ended up doing 5ks, 10ks, half marathons and even one marathon.

However, I have since gotten away from consistently keeping up with running, but I think your goal is perfect. You have two months to train for this. Find a plan that works for you - and just start incorporating running into your walking routines. Or start a walk/run routine if you don't already have one.

I have faith in you!

p.s. I'm going to start training for a 10k that's in July - so I will be right there alongside of you. You can do it!
  • brigbug
    Options
    Not at all. Have you heard of C25K or Couch to 5K? It's a 9 week program. It builds you up week by week to run a 5K. Might be worth looking into. If you have an I-Phone, there is an app on it.
    Just a suggestion! I ran my first 5k in Jan and I will be 40 in March. I also am running another 5K on Saturday. I started training in November.
    GO FOR IT!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    my friend sent me this link last night: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

i haven't looked into it yet but i know the 'couch to 5k' plan is all over MFP. there are several support groups in the forums too.

hope that helps!! :bigsmile:
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Not crazy a bit! 5k is a perfect starting place. You'll rock it! :)
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i was going to suggest c25k also. i have a few friends doing it right now and they love it...you so can do it, you can do anything you put your mind to!!!