Eating enough calories?

Options
Is anyone having trouble eating enough calories? I started this to lose weight and every evening I find that I still need to eat like 300 or so calories for the day. So I eat snacks every evening to fill up my calories. Is this normal? I feel like I am eating more than I did before I started this, but ironically I have lost 4 pounds after just ten days on this. Totally bizarre!

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That's what is so great about it in my opinion. One of my sisters is doing the HCG diet and I guess the calories are very restricted in the beginning. I say no thanks to that. I told her how many calories I get a day (2120 currently) and that I can eat my exercise calories. I think she may be switching soon! lol Congrats on your 4 pound loss!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I did at first, mostly because my previous habits were awful and I had to get used to eating on a schedule. When you're eating healthy, it actually takes a LOT of food to make very much cals. But now I have my appetite back and can get pretty close to cal goals most days.
  • rebrafe
    Options
    In your opinion, does it matter how the calories are split up? For instance, I eat more protein than mfp calls for and not as many carbs. Will that make a difference?
  • lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Take your weight and x it's by 7, that equals how many calories a day you should have, lower it by 100 to help loss weight.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    In your opinion, does it matter how the calories are split up? For instance, I eat more protein than mfp calls for and not as many carbs. Will that make a difference?

It does matter. MFP's protein is a bit low, IMO, and carbs a bit high. It's ok as a guideline, and especially when you're first starting out. But I typically go over protein by about 20% and under carbs by about the same. Don't want to get too high on protein, but a little over isn't bad. As for carbs, as long as you're getting a good amount of healthy carbs from veggies, fruit and whole grains (ie not processed sugar, etc), you should be fine.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Take your weight and x it's by 7, that equals how many calories a day you should have, lower it by 100 to help loss weight.

Sorry, but NOT accurate. I'd be at 1100 a day and in famine response PDQ. :laugh: MFP uses a good formula. Enter your info accurately and you will get a good, HEALTHY cal goal that includes a deficit for weight loss (as long as you aren't maintaining.) Recommend reading this thread to understand how MFP calculates goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits