Protein help

Options
So i got a friend of mine to join this site. But we were talking and she really dislikes most meat, eggs, tofu..... so we are kind of confused as to where she is supposed to get her protein from. I brought up beans and brown rice as well as non fat greek yogurt and spinach and dark leafy greens. But i really don't think she is about to live on a diet of beans rice, yogurt and greens....

Where else can she get protein?

Should she just invest in a good protein shake that has like 60+grams per serving?

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    LF cottage cheese
    Nuts
    Peanut butter
    protein bars (but watch the sugar)
    Fish?
  • donnacarlin3
    Options
    HI! my advise is protein drinks and bars. Snickers has a great bar and their are lots out there with as much as 30 grams per bar. Cut them into cubes and snack on it throughout the day(you can't eat it like a candy bar). Just watch the calories and buy a bar and or drink that fits your daily goal. Fresh fish or shrimp are good for meals if your finicky friend likes them. :) Good luck!!

Donna
  • hurricaneerica
    Options
    I don't eat meat either. You can check out my food diary to see what kinds of foods I eat. I always have enough protein.

I really like Greek yogurt though. It's awesome.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yea she really likes nuts, but they have alot of fat (good fats) but still fat. and she cant get her daily requirement of protein on nuts alone.

I recommended greek yogurt but she didn't say if she liked it or not. So i think the best bet would probably be a good protein shake that is low cal, low fat and low sugar.

we are complete opposites when it comes to protein... i love it and she hates it so its hard for me to make suggestions! haha
  • sandeepnair
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and don't use soy, and I need more than 1g protein per lb of my weights as I'm lifting weights.. It's so tough and my only way is whey protein shakes.
  • clentner
    Options
    60 grams of protein is way too much per shake, especially for a woman. I don't think anything more than around 35-40g per shake is really worthwhile, unless she's a competitive athlete. The human body simply cannot process that much protein at one time. Have her buy a protein powder that has 20-25g per scoop and have her drink a couple of shakes per day, either with low calorie meals, or between meals. This should be plenty to satisfy her daily protein requirement, unless she's doing some serious weight training and hoping to get absolutely jacked. Muscle Milk tastes awesome, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is the best bang for your buck, and BSN Syntha 6 is great, if she is doing serious training in the gym. I've heard Designer Whey is a good protein for beginners, though I would never buy it because I think it's overpriced.
  • RockNRollWeekender
    Options
    I ♥ EAS Carb Advantage french vanilla drink. It has 17g Protein & only 1g Carb (0g sugar!).

A 4 pack at Wal-Mart is $4.20. At other supermarkets or GNC is currently around $6 to the best of my knowledge.

Something to at least check out.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    60 grams of protein is way too much per shake, especially for a woman. I don't think anything more than around 35-40g per shake is really worthwhile, unless she's a competitive athlete. The human body simply cannot process that much protein at one time. Have her buy a protein powder that has 20-25g per scoop and have her drink a couple of shakes per day, either with low calorie meals, or between meals.

I'd agree with this. Shakes are pretty easy to digest at the 25g per serving range. You have to find a flavor you like though. That can be a challenge. I think Greek yogurt is ok, but its texture is a bit strange. Almost grainy. On average I go over my daily protein allowance. Check out my food journal if you want.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    60g is definitely too much per serving. A high protein powder will have 20-25g. Do that twice a day (make sure to find a low sugar powder), add in cheese, yogurt, milk, she should be good.
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe check out some vegan cookery blogs?

Looking through my diary...
    Good muesli with soya milk, for breakfast.
    The wholemeal rolls I use for lunch contain more protein than I expected.
    Snacking on nuts.

I throw lentils into most soups I make - bulks them up and adds protein.
    Sometimes I cook with fake meats, like using tvp to make a meatless bolognese.
    I eat quite a bit of quinoa (I like to chuck some black beans in, while it's cooking, for extra protein).

My new favourite snack/mini meal is a "bean salad" (er, about 4 different tins of beans, drained and chucked in a bowl with chopped peppers, corn, cooked fine beans, etc plus a little olive oil and lime juice so it keeps for longer) in a wholemeal pitta bread.

I normally manage to get all my protein from real food but I do slurp down a protein shake when I've done lots of exercise. Mostly because it's easy and it's my chocolate fix haha.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts everyone. I'll be sure to let her know to get a protein shake thats got about 20grams per serving and to take that a couple times a day :)