Breastfeeding and Weight Loss Experiences

Options
I'd love to hear from other moms who are either currently breastfeeding or recently stopped and their experience with weight loss. I have a 2.5 m old that I'm nursing so I add 500 cals to my diary each day (by adding 'breastfeeding mother' to my snacks). So far I've lost 10lbs in one month and am thrilled, but wondering if this will continue? I've always heard that breastfeeding helps you lose weight, but is that true the longer you go or does it eventually level off? I’m having a hard time finding time to get in a lot of exercise right now (Also have a 2.5 yr old) so the extra calories from nursing really help!

When I stop nursing (probably around 6 months) what should I expect? Those who have stopped, have you continued to lose weight by following your nutrition goals and working out?

I’ll admit I don’t love breastfeeding, but the extra calorie burn and help with weight loss sure is a motivation to keep going! :smile:

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding helps some women lose weight. Others, it makes hold on to their fat stores like a walrus.

I was a walrus.

I nursed my son until he self weaned at 16 months. In the first 16 months I lost 25 pounds. Since then I have lost 54 pounds, 24 of those since joining MFP. My son is three.
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had 4 kids and nursed each of them for 6 months -- I have always lost my "baby weight" and then some with each of mine, however, once I stopped nursing, I put 5-10 pounds back on within 3 months.......I am certain all women are different, just thought I'd share my experience :-) Happy nursing, and great job keeping those little ones healthy by doing it!!!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you're nursing, it burns calories, and burning calories burns fat. End of story. Dont' worry about exercise -- you're tired! Weight loss is mostly calories anyway -- exercise is just for toning and heart health, but you can do that when she starts sleeping better.

When you stop nursing, make sure you also stop eating so much. That was my downfall. :-P He stopped nursing at 23 months, but I just kept right on eating like I was nursing a newborn. Ha! That wasn't a good idea. ;)
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear other women's experiences as well. I have a 3-month-old (when did she get that big???) and I didn't start losing weight until I really increased my workouts and changed my extra calories to 300 rather than 500.

I have heard from several sources that breasfeeding helps you lose weight. The research shows that breastfeeding moms lose more pounds on average in the first few months. I have also heard from some moms, though, that their bodies held onto some of those pounds unti they stopped breastfeeding.
  • sybiltoney
    sybiltoney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was the same. Stopped at 6 months because I was tired of feeling strapped to the house. I felt like I couldn't go anywhere because I had to be home to feed the baby. I lost a ton quickly though. Then still not up for doing a lot of exercising (just frankly too tired bc at the end I was on bedrest) I started to gain. I should have, as soon as he was sleeping through the night, got my butt in the gym (we have a small gym in the basement so there weren't any good excuses for me not to). Then when he was 9 months I started this and have been serious. I have about 10 lbs to lose to get back before pregnancy and an extra 5 lbs that I just want to lose to be what I was 5 years ago because I felt good then. If we get preggers again, I will still do MFP just to watch what I'm eating and then to monitor calories as I breastfeed because when I got home from the hospital I had a hard time just wanting to eat. I would pick sleeping over eating. Still would and I love food.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I nursed all 3 of mine as much as they wanted for up to 2 years each. Dropped weight like crazy each time, but especially with the first because I had to walk everywhere - and carry the baby too. Losing weight wasn't an issue (for me) while nursing, if anything I had to concentrate on eating more during the last couple of months until they started adding solid foods in. With the first, pre-pregnancy weight was 125, I went up to 165 at birth, and dropped to 108 pounds by the time that first boy was 2 years old. As always, what you eat and how active you are surely are at least as important in the whole equation.
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I nursed my children until they self weaned at 16 and 18 months and throughout both nursing relationships I lost most of the baby weight. I shouldn't have been snacking on cookies then and I would have lost more. :)
  • cassandra77
    Options
    I gained 75 pounds during my pregnancy. I breastfed my son and at 18 months I am still breastfeeding. I lost all my pregnancy weight but recently gained back 20 pounds :( So in MY experience the weight loss benefits of breastfeeding seem to have slowed down. Like PP's have said though... everyone is soo different. I don't log my bf'ing because I highly doubt I am burning 500 calories a day doing it at this stage.

Good luck :)
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    You're lucky you're thinking about this now! When you're breastfeeding it's kind of like a get out of jail free card- but it's sooo easy to just eat whatever you want and forget about watching your calories. Which is why right now, I have a ton of weight to lose. My son is almost seven months and he hasn't started on solid foods yet, so he's nursing significantly still. I, however, have neglected to keep track of what I'm eating and haven't done very much exercise.

I nursed my daughter (who is three, almost four) for two years, and by the time I weaned her she was only nursing once at night. When she quit nursing completely I didn't gain any weight. I think it has something to do with the slow decrease in calories output for nursing over time though.

I'm guessing if you quit at six months, when the calorie output is still significant, you'll probably have to compensate activity wise and calories to not maintain or gain. That's just a guess on my part though :).
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding didnt help me much, now my baby is almost 17 months still breastfeed and dont take anything for granted, i lost my weight by eating well and working my butt off. good luck to you though!
  • Mommareed4
    Options
    I am currently nursing my 6 month old, and finding it next to impossible to loose weight lol. I have three other kids as well and manage to find a little time to workout (30 day shred) and after they go to bed they go to bed I play kinect..it is so frustrating not being able to loose
  • kchooper
    Options
    I am in the same situation as you. My baby is 11 weeks now and I am breastfeeding him. I just recently started adding formula to his diet. I lost all of my baby fat plus 5 additional pounds in the first month or two after my delivery. Towards the end of my pregnancy I stop eating as much, so after I gave birth I had to get back in the routine of eating....so that probably helped my weight loss. Right now I am at a stand still and I add 400 additional calories to my diet. I intend on not breastfeeding starting next month so I am now in a transition on trying to slowly cut down my calorie intake because of fear of not being able to completely stop when the time comes. I do believe, with my body, my weight loss was because of the breastfeeding but if I continue to eat like I do after I stop, I'm afraid I will gain the weight back. Goodluck to you!
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns calories. And 10 lbs in a month is fantastic! My recommendation is to not overburden your body and take it slow. You could really not expect a faster and still HEALTHY weight loss. Exercise is great...but start slowly. Maybe a post-partum pilates/yoga DVD? Or a 'mommy and me' type of class?

I am a HUGE Breastfeeding advocate, and would recommend to all of you to do it as long as possible, or one year minimum. (The AAP recommends 2 years!) because the benefits to you and your baby are undeniable.

I had mixed results. With #1 I nursed until he was almost 2 and had lost all my pre-prego weight before 4 months. With #2, who is 2, we are pretty much done and although I did not lose the weight, I did not gain any when he cut back.

Eat healthy, while nursing AND after you are done and you shouldn't have any problems!

Good luck!!
  • StaceyJ75
    Options
    I was 265 pre-pregnancy and, within a month after giving birth, I was down to 250. I continued to lose slowly over the next few months, stalling at 235 in October and November (baby was born in May) and gained five lbs over Christmas, which inspired me to revisit MFP.

Since becoming active on here on January 8th, I've carefully watched my calories and started exercising daily. I've lost 15 lbs since then. (Wow, that means I lost 15 lbs in less than a month!)

I add 375 calories to my diet (my guy is 8.5 months old now and eats "solids") and make sure that I get to at least 1500 each day.

My little guy plays in the living room with me first thing in the morning while I do a wii yoga routine, then 40 minutes of cardio boxing. Then he takes a nap and I do housework. Then, after lunch, he goes in his jolly jumper for half an hour (or longer if he's really having fun) and I go on the bike.

I find that having a set daily routine really helps me to keep with it. My hubby is extremely supportive on the weekends and makes sure that, despite our routine being a bit different, I still get my exercise in.

An added plus, that no one else has mentioned, is that breastfeeding encourages your body to release more collagen, which helps with your skin's elasticity - meaning all that extra skin goes away faster while breastfeeding. :D
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For me, the weight dropped with no effort while breastfeeding, but in the last several months since she has been weaned (at 14 months), a few pounds have crept back and it is taking strict calorie control and exercise to take them off. Some days I wish I wouldn't have quit! :laugh:
  • rache12581
    Options
    :smile: Yes, remember as soon as you stop nursing to not eat those extra calories you needed while nursing! I was so close to losing my all my pregnancy weight & 2 months after I stopped nursing I put at least 12 lbs back on....but that was due to unhealthy eating & lack of exercise. If you continue to track your calories & exercise you'll be fine once you stop nursing
  • Trafty024
    Trafty024 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! And thanks for being encouraging about my lack of activity right now. I'm trying not to beat myself up over it because I know I have more important things to focus on right now, but I don't want to use it as too much of an excuse either. With my first daughter I nursed until 6m and didn't change any eating habits and gained. Just want to make sure that doesn't happen again! :)
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I nursed my kids for 2+ years and that's the hardest part for me...to not eat like I'm nursing post-weaning or even post-exclusive breastfeeding! Even though my body wasn't hungry in the same way, my habits were hard to change.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I nursed my son for 16months and I loved it! I wasn't tied down to my house at all and I could eat pretty much whatever I wanted. When my son was exclusively breastfed, I dropped the baby weight in no time. However, when he started eating solids and cut back on nursing, I was still eating like I was when he was only on breast-milk. The weight started to creep back up when that happened.

So my tip to breastfeeding moms is to make sure you cut back on the calories when your baby cuts back on the nursing.