Keeping Bagged Salad Fresh

Options
Hello all,

I buy bags of salad mix from the store but I only eat a salad every other day or so. So for each bag of salad I'm eating one or two servings and the rest of the bag is turning brown and going to waste.

What do you do to keep your bagged salad fresher longer? (Besides eating more salad, that is)

Thanks,

Replies

• starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I found that if you buy the kind with just regular iceburg lettuce in it, it goes bad fast. The kind with romaine or other fancier lettuces and greens last longer.
  • lyndarva
    Options
    I think darker greens stay fresher longer and they are more nutritious.
  • Benjr755
    Options
    I keep mine in a freeger baggie
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you can putting it in a ziplock bag and sticking a paper towel in there to help absorb some moisture too
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I put them a vaccum bag, let it partially suck out the air, and then seal. Food saver also has containers specifically for greens but I haven't spent the $$ on them yet.
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    like everyone else said, darker stays fresher longer, more nutritious, etc. my mother in law has a neat trick, put the salad in a bowl and cover it with a WET paper towel before putting it in the fridge. wet the paper towel every day, it helps the lettuce stay crisp and fresh longer. she usually does this with heads of lettuce, wrap them in the wet paper towels and keep in a large plastic ziplock bag. i'm sure it will work with bagged salad too :smile:
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    I do the same as you - and for me, as one person, it goes to waste pretty quickly if I keep it in the bag. So I started pouring them into the storage containers. It helps it live a little longer - and it also makes me store it on the shelves in the fridge instead of the bottom drawer where i forget things sometimes.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    For sure dark greens last longer I buy organic in the tub a little pricie but will last about 2 weeks.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Keep a most paper towel in the bag with the lettuce and it will keep it from going brown and get as much air out as you can
  • benben13
    Options
    I spent $ (reluctantly) on some of those "green" bags that are supposed to extend the life of veggies, fruits, etc... and they really work. Just make sure to put a couple of paper towels in there to absorb the moisture.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Keep a most paper towel in the bag with the lettuce and it will keep it from going brown and get as much air out as you can

I do this too!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    try Eating Right veggie blend.. I find it stays fresh longer than normal romaine lettuce mixes or other blends.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    like everyone else said, darker stays fresher longer, more nutritious, etc. my mother in law has a neat trick, put the salad in a bowl and cover it with a WET paper towel before putting it in the fridge. wet the paper towel every day, it helps the lettuce stay crisp and fresh longer. she usually does this with heads of lettuce, wrap them in the wet paper towels and keep in a large plastic ziplock bag. i'm sure it will work with bagged salad too :smile:

GREAT ADVICE...MY MOM DOES THAT TOO
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just roll the bag up so all the air escapes and stick a chip clip on the bag and pop it in the fridge. I have had a bag in there for a week now, and it's still green and crispy!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    some times the lettuce mixes have different kinds that slim out more quickly than the others in the mix. I tend to buy a bag of spinach and a bag of arugula and keep them separate. I am a 1 person household and I eat a large salad daily, so I blow thru about 10oz a week anyway.

enjoy your greens!!!