Weight Training Exercise???

Options
I do a bit of weight training along with a cardio workout....example, one day I might do 30-40 minutes of cardio and the next day I might do some free weights or a couple of reps one 3-4 different machines. When I log in my weight training workout it does nothing for my allowable calorie intake. Why is that? When I weight train my heart rate goes up, I sometimes start sweating and I actually feel alot healthy afterwards compared to doing cardio. I think that the allowable intake of calories should be adjusted if you have a good weight training routine. What do yall think and know about this topic?????

Replies

• sabrads
    sabrads Posts: 152
    Options
    There is a cardio activity called strength training - add in the time you do weights for as that as well.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Im not sure WHY it doesn't add to your daily calories- but I wear my HRM when I do weights and my heart rate defiinitely goes up! I used to add it under circuit training.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    I think the caorie burn for cardio vs weight training is different. I know when I do kettlebells for 45 minutes and I am gassed at the end I had a great workout. But my HR monitor the few times Ive worn it with the kettlebells only says 200-300 calories burned. Whereas a great cardio routine for the same time may be double that. Someone once told me the algorythms are different in the hr monitors for those types of excercises. Not sure what they use to determine calories here. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you arent using 5 lb dumbells for 1/2 hour and basically doing nothing you are probably on the right track.
  • fushion243
    Options
    You have to go to Cardio in MFP and then search on strength training and add there. I don't know why they don't count calories directly under weight training. Makes no sense.
  • nurseheather13
    Options
    Yes, definately add it under circut training which is what I do) or strength training and it will give you your calories earned :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You have to go to Cardio in MFP and then search on strength training and add there. I don't know why they don't count calories directly under weight training. Makes no sense.

The reason why is MFP has no idea how strong you are. I could do a set of 15 reps with 15lbs and not be working, while someone else may be pushing themselves to the max with that. They would burn much more than me, but the info entered into MFP would be the same.
  • kchooper
    Options
    There is a cardio activity called strength training - add in the time you do weights for as that as well.

Thanks! I looked under cardio for weight training and there it was. Perfect! I wonder why they have it listed that weight?? It should be a way for this site to calculate the calorie loss by manually inputting your weight training exercise/routine....
  • kchooper
    Options
    The reason why is MFP has no idea how strong you are. I could do a set of 15 reps with 15lbs and not be working, while someone else may be pushing themselves to the max with that. They would burn much more than me, but the info entered into MFP would be the same.
    [/quote]

Makes sense....
  • Cigir
    Cigir Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't know.. Is that not the same arguement with things like running, swimming or cycling? I could be very fit and half an hour would not make me sweat, or very unfit and my heart could be racing from half an hour of running. How's that different than weight lifting??