Body Fat % What is Correct Level

Options
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can enlighten me with information regarding body fat %. I recently joined the work gym and saw the scales in the corner, like a curious cat I decided to jump on and see.

Holy Cow!!:embarassed: My Body Fat is a whopping 38% nearly 1/4 of me is fat. Good Grief!!

So what is a healthy Body Fat % range for the female of the species.

Please someone help put me out my misery!!!!

Replies

• reet34
    Options
    Hi there,

I am hoping someone can enlighten me with information regarding body fat %. I recently joined the work gym and saw the scales in the corner, like a curious cat I decided to jump on and see.

Holy Cow!!:embarassed: My Body Fat is a whopping 38% nearly 1/4 of me is fat. Good Grief!!

So what is a healthy Body Fat % range for the female of the species.

Please someone help put me out my misery!!!!
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Actually 38% is over a 1/3 body fat (1/3 would be 33% 1/4 would be 25%).

I've lost 40 pounds and am very scared to see what my % is still... :angry:
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Here is some information I found on the web for females:

Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%
    Acceptable 25-31%
    Obese 32%

My trainer told me you can't really trust the hand held digital machine or "scale" type fat testers. Caliper tests are more reliable, and the pool test is the most accurate. (The kind where you have to put sensors on your body and float in a special "cage" emersed in a pool...not easy to find).
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Here is what I found: (sports-fitness-advisor.com)
    Avg Population
    Females Aged Up to 30: 14-21%, 30-50 15-23%, and 50+ 16-25%
    AthletesFemale Avgs:
    Basketball - 20-27%
    Rowing 12-18%
    Swimming - 14-24%
    Sprinters - 12-20%
    Cycling - 15-20%

So there are a lot of variances... body fat is a better way to judge your success than the scale. Use your number as a starting point and you'll do fine. :happy:
  • reet34
    Options
    Thanks heaps, still in shock cause now its a 1/3 and my maths should be better!

At least its another goal to aim for...my first minin aim is to lose 1 more kg and that will be my first 5kgs down

Many thanks for looking up for me, I am trying to work and do MPF at the same time..I am addicted to this site.

Cheers Moreeta