Ellelit's Journey...Sept 3, 2008

Options
so today is going well. i'm getting realy hungry, and i just had my afternoon snack, but i don't plan to have my other snack for another hour. hope i don't eat any of the donuts in the lunchroom. my day is all planned out, and if i follow it i will be only about 20 cals over, so not too bad.

here is how it went so far:

breakfast: 1c. life cereal, 1 cup skim milk
snack: 1 banana
snack: 1 yogurt, 1 kiwi, 3 fibre cookies
snack: handful of almonds
lunch: 3 wasa crackers, 100g of salami, 1 cup veggie soup
snack: 3 fibre cookies, mini carrots

still to come:
snack: 1 granola bar
supper: 1 cup rice, 1 cup chili, 1 corn on the cob with 2 tsp of becel

i'm not used to not gorging, and today we had a big box of fresh yummy donuts in the breakroom, and everyone else had one, but i stood my ground and has some fibre cookies instead.

i don't feel deprived, per se, but i defintely am hungry. although, i'mn not sure if it is true hunger, or just regular satiety. i haven;t felt the latter for so long, i forget what it's like.

so here is to the rest of the day, and hoping that i can make it through a grocery shopping trip without buying binge food or going to wendy's as is my regular habit.

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so today is going well. i'm getting realy hungry, and i just had my afternoon snack, but i don't plan to have my other snack for another hour. hope i don't eat any of the donuts in the lunchroom. my day is all planned out, and if i follow it i will be only about 20 cals over, so not too bad.

still to come:

i'm not used to not gorging, and today we had a big box of fresh yummy donuts in the breakroom, and everyone else had one, but i stood my ground and has some fibre cookies instead.

i don't feel deprived, per se, but i defintely am hungry. although, i'mn not sure if it is true hunger, or just regular satiety. i haven;t felt the latter for so long, i forget what it's like.

so here is to the rest of the day, and hoping that i can make it through a grocery shopping trip without buying binge food or going to wendy's as is my regular habit.
  • buzz4meusa
    Options
    Ellelit:
    By the look of your food log you are eating too many simple carbs and not much protein.
    Always combine your carb with a protein.

Eat a good breakfast. Say Egg Beaters (2-4 eggs) with a slice of Ezekeil bread and a glass 8oz of skim milk and a fresh orange or 1/2 grapefruit.

Snack: 2 oz of chicken breast with an apple, and 15 almonds

Lunch: 1 sprig of broccoli, 4 oz of chicken breast, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown rice and
    some green tea

Snack: green tea, some celery in a slice or 2 of turkey deli meat with a tad of cheeze

Dinner: 1 cup of green veggie (something fibrous like broccoli, asparagus,cauliflower, etc.) 6 oz of grilled chicken breast or 8 oz of grilled fish like orange roughy and a nice size salad consisting of spinach or romaine lettuce with come cucumbers, 6-8 cherry tomatoes with 1 tbs of your homemade salad dressing (preferably using Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

And of course drink at the least 8 glasses of water more if you exercise intensely.

Anna
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

so here is to the rest of the day, and hoping that i can make it through a grocery shopping trip without buying binge food

If you buy it, you will eat it. If you're serious then don't spend your money on it. You're the one in control of what you spend your money on.
  • ellelit
    Options
    thank you so much anna... i amways wondered why i was getting so hungry, even if i was eating all of my alloted caloires. i'll try to eat more protein and complex carbs and see how that goes for me. thanks!
  • clairegl
    Options
    Ellelit, good luck. I agree with Anna about the protein. I was just thinking tonight how great and revolutionary this simple plan can be. I'm working out a lot (an hour of cardio a day) and find it really energizes me for the long haul to eat a lot of fiber with my protein. Like today I started out with only 1200 but I earned an extra 615 calories from exercise, that's a lot of extra snacks! Yea. :glasses:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    May I also suggest you'll be fuller if you eat more volumous types of food. You should read up on this concept. Your body craves volume and you get fuller and can eat more for the same calories of grains, veg, fruit and low fat dairy and protein. Think about it, what fills you up more, 1 small cup cake or a bowl of fruit salad (same calories). The concept is called "Volumetrics" and is the mastermind of Dr. Barbara Rolls. She's written a few books but you can get a lot of info from just Googling.

Breakfast: I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. Way more filling then Life cereal which is kind of empty in terms of grain value. If you really prefer cold cereal, eat bran flakes or something whole grain. Look at the nutritial facts and see how much more quantity of food you can get for the same amount of calories.

Your snacks are pretty good. Make sure it is low fat yogourt. I take a plain 0% yogourt and mix with a diet fruit yogout and that way have a whole cup of yogourt for the same calories as a 2% yogourt.

Lunch: soup is great. Crackers and salami not so good. At least eat whole wheat bread. You'll get a lot more volume in 2 pieces then you will with dry crackers. I'd eat tuna with lots of vegetables like lettuce, tomatoe etc.)

Snack: granola bars are pretty calorie intense for the amount of food you get and they are very sweet which might make you crave more sweets. I don't know which granola bar you are eating - they vary in calories. Let's say it's 150 calories. For the same amount of calories you could have a rice cake a rice cake with 1 tsp peanut butter, 1 apple and 1 small plum! That's way more food isn't it?

Dinner looks pretty good but where are the vegetables? Corn isn't bad but it's more of a starch.

I think that if you start incorporating volumetrics into your diet, you will feel much fuller and it will be way easier. Good luck!!

still to come:

• ellelit
    Options
    thanks mely, i will give that a try too!