Peak Fat Burning - Good Short Summary

CarterGrt
CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I have often heard that low-intensity workouts burn more fats. I think this is a great explanation of that and some context that really makes sense as to why this may not be the optimal way to workout for fat burning. I copied this from Runner's World website.

--Carter.

Jan. 24: FACTfiction–Is There a "Fat Burning Zone?" And Where Is Yours?
01/24/2011 8:21 AM

Recently someone asked me: What pace should I run for maximum calorie burning? At last, an easy one!

Answer: You burn the most calories/minute when you run your fastest. Calorie burn is directly related to effort. Whether you're running, biking, swimming or doing pushups, you burn the most calories (for that activity) when you're doing it as fast as you can. (Of course you probably can't keep going for more than 10 seconds or so, but that's another issue.)

The fat-burning question is more complex and confusing. So confusing that wrong answers lurk in many places: at the water cooler, in the locker room, and on endless Internet pages.

Here are the facts and fiction.

1) You often hear/read that fat-burning is greatest when you do low-intensity exercise like walking. This is partially true if the question being asked is: What percent of my total calorie burn is coming from fat? (Let's call this measure PTCBFF–percent total calorie burn from fat.) But it's the wrong question to ask. Sleeping produces an even higher PTCBFF than walking, and I doubt anyone thinks sleeping is a great exercise or fat-burner.

2) No, you shouldn't be interested in PTCBFF. You want to know your maxFat burning zone–the intensity of exercise where you burn the most total fat in a minute, an hour, or whatever.

3) For trained athletes, maxFat occurs at about 70 to 75 percent of your max heart rate. If you want to remember just one number, the 70 will do fine. When you exercise within 5 to 10 beats of 70 percent of your max HR you're still very close to peak fat burning. (However, once you go about 20 beats higher, fat burn drops precipitously. That's because your muscles "prefer" carbohydrates-glycogen when you are going hard.)

4) What I find interesting about this 70 percent of max HR is that it almost perfectly matches the pace you naturally choose for EZ and Long Run days. Many runners do up to 80 percent of their training at this pace. Why are runners thin? Because their typical running pace puts them squarely in the maxFat zone.

5) Your maxFat pace also burns a lot of total calories because you can maintain it for hours on end. Unlike your maxCal pace, which you can only maintain for 10 seconds, as noted above.

6) If you're relatively fit, exercising at 70 percent of your max HR feels quite comfortable. However, an exercise physiologist would consider this "vigorous" exercise. In other words, you get a lot of the big fitness benefits from running at 70 percent of your max HR.

7) If you've got a friend who's a walker, and is looking to burn more calories and fat, try to get this friend to become a walk-runner. A few short running intervals during a walk will boost total calorie burn, total fat burn (edging the workout up toward the 70 percent max HR level), and total fitness benefits. (Or your friend could just walk faster; many fitness walkers go too slow to reap maximum benefits from their activity.)

[Note: Much of the above information came from studies published by sport nutritionist and triathlete Asker Jeukendrup, from the University of Birmingham, England. On his web site, he recently published a more indepth version of the info I've summarized above.]

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    :flowerforyou: thanks

D
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Stupid question from an exercise newbie: how do you know what your "max" heart rate is?
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    bump!

Thanks! I am starting running and wanted to know this EXACT thing!!!!
  • GoshinAlex
    GoshinAlex Posts: 3 Member
    There are various different methods to calculate max heart rate, see below link:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Thanks!
  • aalexander0607
    aalexander0607 Posts: 34 Member
    Your max heart rate is 220 - your age from there you can calculate your "target range" which would be that 70-75% of your MHR.

I had a really good Health/PE class last year as a college freshman and my professor would have us calculate our target range, which for me was about 141-151 beats per minute. So if you have a heart rate monitor then those are the only numbers you would need. But if you wanna do it old school, this is an easy trick: Divide your target numbers by 6 (60 seconds in a minute- so we want to break it into 10 second intervals) so for me my new target zone will be 23-25. So what you do with these numbers is, when you are working out stop for a minute and look at a clock...put your hand on your pulse and watch the clock for 10 seconds while simultaneously counting your heart beats. If the number of beats in that ten seconds in within your numbers (for me, 23-25) or somewhere in that area then you are working in your target zone and burning the greatest percentage of fat. ALSO we learned that it takes about 20 minutes of exercise while staying in your target zone to reap cardiovascular benefits. Although I suppose any exercise is good for the heart, these numbers for that amount of time is best!

Hope this is understandable! Please clear me up if I missed anything!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Why do max heart rate calculations not take into account male or female?

D
This discussion has been closed.