No weight loss

Options
I've been working out and counting calories for 3 weeks. Lost .6 lbs the first week, 2.4 last week, and none this week. I do 30 mins of cardio (elliptical, stationary bike, or treadmill).

Any suggestions of what i can do/change to what I'm doing ?

Replies

• james3302
    Options
    you can share your food diary so we can see what your eating. Also give it time. weight can change for different reasons. I would go by body measurements rather than weight
  • Indimenticabile1
    Options
    A few things to keep in mind:

1) You are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. Taking measurements is going to be a more accurate reflection (do this about once a month) and calculate your body fat as well.

2) Keep in mind what time of the month it is. I can *never* lose weight when it's that time of the month.

3) Weight loss is rarely constant and predictable on a week-to-week basis. Check how much weight you lose monthly, and as long as that seems somewhat steady you're doing great!

Make sure you are staying hydrated, and keep an eye on your salt intake. Too much salt (or not enough water) can also lead to water retention.
  • 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...keep at it and the weight will come off. You don't want it all coming off quickly because that is not safe. And remember, we are all here for you!! :)
  • aschultz9
    Options
    More cardio, or work harder during your cardio. Also, add some strength exercises and lots of water. Maybe take a look at your food diary over the last week. Make sure your calories are coming from healthy foods and not too much salt. Don't get discouraged (I know, easier said than done), you will have weeks where you don't see much progress. Keep working at it.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    While frustrating, it just goes that way sometimes. Keep doing the right things and you will show longer-term losses. Your body has a fair amount of weight fluctuation. My body weight can change as much as two pounds in a day on the scale, but looking at the last four months, the trends are definitely showing losses.

I think you just need to do the hardest thing out there: be patient. The results are happening, but they aren't always measurable on the scale. I would also suggest taking some body measurements. I wish I had done this early on. This is a great way to make yourself see progress when the scales aren't cooperating. You can remeasure and see that your body is changing even when the numbers on the scale seem fixed in place.

Good luck!!!

--Carter
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. Taking measurements is going to be a more accurate reflection (do this about once a month) and calculate your body fat as well.

With regards to the above - my doctor told me only yesterday that this is a myth!
    I had always thought muscle weighed more than fat but in his words ''5kg of fat and 5kg of muscle - both weigh exactly the same!!
  • Lydbell
    Options
    I've been working out and counting calories for 3 weeks. Lost .6 lbs the first week, 2.4 last week, and none this week. I do 30 mins of cardio (elliptical, stationary bike, or treadmill).

Any suggestions of what i can do/change to what I'm doing ?

That is huge weight loss for such a short time. Give yor body time to adjust and just keep at it.
  • myahankel
    Options
    I felt the same way at 3 weeks. But you have lost 3 lbs in 3 weeks. If you are scheduled a pound a week you are right on track.
  • FuzzyWalnuts
    Options
    Sheeza, its not a myth. You and your clueless doctor are using the logic along the lines of the old trick question, "what weighs more, 5 lbs of feathers or 5lbs of concrete". OF COURSE THEY WEIGH THE SAME!!! That is not what the muscle vs. fat comparison is about. Its about density. 5 lbs. of muscle is FAR more dense than 5 lbs. of fat. In essence adding just a little amount of lean muscle mass will make you a lot more heavy than adding the same physical amount of fat.
  • MissFDavis
    Options
    I agree with aschultz9, when you start to realize that your weight is stagnant it is good to give your body some kind of shock, i.e. a change in routine. Its also known as muscle confusion. Often times our body's get so used to a certain routine that it gets comfortable and you start to notice little to no weight loss. A good form of cardio, and also very vigoruos are the classes they have at the gym i.e. kickboxing, triple fat burner classes, zuumba etc etc. Maybe try that for a few weeks and as aschultz9 said, make sure your calories are coming from healthy foods, bc you can be counting calories but it doesn't necessarily mean that the calories are healthy. I hope this helps a little!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Log everything in your diary, and measure everything you eat. You could also be having thyroid issues, or any of the issues the above posters have mentioned. Some people lose weight easy, some gain muscle easy. either way, Keep at it, and you will eventually reach your goals.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    You're doing better than me! It took me 3 wks 3 days to lose half a pound! But now I'm so excited I'm hoping it continues from here at a faster pace of course, maybe once a week at least LOL Don't give up!
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    Sheeza, its not a myth. You and your clueless doctor are using the logic along the lines of the old trick question, "what weighs more, 5 lbs of feathers or 5lbs of concrete". OF COURSE THEY WEIGH THE SAME!!! That is not what the muscle vs. fat comparison is about. Its about density. 5 lbs. of muscle is FAR more dense than 5 lbs. of fat. In essence adding just a little amount of lean muscle mass will make you a lot more heavy than adding the same physical amount of fat.

Try going wiht your measurements or body fat as you go. If not the fluctuations and plateus will make you crazy.

Remember its a lifestyle change and it is for life.

What fuzzywallnuts is saying is true. Fat occupies more space with less weight...hence measurements and fat percentage can be helpful. your weight will have small "yo -yo's" as you go.

You can get calipers and measuring tapes for 9 bucks total with free shipping.....the next thing is the tiem to use them once or twice per month.
  • laurenashley813
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts and encouragement!! I started a Fitness Challenge 3 weeks ago(no soft drinks or tea, no fried foods, and 30 mins of exercise) I really want to win ... but I have the least amt of weight to loose so I guess I'm just anxious to see results.