My sugar count is high..but its from fruit is that good sug

Options
I eat bananas, apples and oranges, their sugar count is high. I work out vigorously and was wondering if the sugar from fruit is breaking down or being stored. Let me know thanks.

Replies

• sarahtroupe
    Options
    Ummm I would think that its good sugar:)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My doctor said not to worry about sugar in fruit. It is the added sugar and sugar in processed foods that you want to avoid. She said that if I wanted to track my sugar, subtract whatever came from fruit from the total.
  • BRVERDUZ
    Options
    thank you i needed that
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Thanks! This helps me to! I have been asking the same question LOL
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic then sugars from natural sources should be ok. MFP doesn't separate natural sugars from added sugars. It just lumps them all together and you are over your limit after a couple servings of fruit!
  • Indimenticabile1
    Options
    Unfortunately, as wonderful as MFP is, they do NOT distinguish between natural sugars and artificial/added ones and there is a huge difference between the two.

"The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends no more than 8 teaspoons per day of added sugar based on a 2,000 calories/day diet. That's 32 grams if you're reading labels, and about 6% of your total calories for the day.

These are the sugars that you don't need to worry about. They occur naturally in foods and also supply key nutrients.

- Low-fat milk (skim milk, soymilk, 1% low-fat milk)
    - Fresh and frozen fruits (apple, blueberries, orange, pineapple, strawberries, banana, cantaloupe, etc.)
    - Most Vegetables (carrots, tomato, zucchini, broccoli, spinach, cucumber, etc.)"

Source: http://health.yahoo.net/experts/joybauernutrition/sugar-how-much-should-we-eat/
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I know I lose weight best when I limit sugar from all sources to 50-60g total...and most of that is "natural." So it's my feeling that "sugar is sugar" these days. However, if I"m craving something sweet, I'll still head for fruit...but I really need to start heading for veggies!! Many of them have just enough sugar to hit that "sweet" spot (red peppers and sugar snap peas come to mind!).
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As long as its not canned, in a jar or a drink you are fine. Those have added sugar.