Martial Arts

Options
Everyone should give some sort of martial Arts a try. Wether it is Tai Chi, for us older folks, or Tai Kwan Do or even Kung Fu.

It is a great aerobic workout and it blends the mind with the body. It's something you can do at your own pace and as your body will allow. I have extremely arthritic knees and I go slow and deliberate now as opposed to the quick and hard style I was used to years ago. It also builds your self confidenc in your abilities.

Te key is to find a "family" based system and a good teacher.

Give it a try.

Replies

• ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weirdly I was thinking about this a couple of hours ago, I even googled martial arts schools in my area.
    This must be a sign ;)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I looked into a Karate studio (Ju Jitsu?) Anyway,I didn't know if I would have insulted them because I am 200 pounds & 41 basically wanting to use them for a workout! Otherwise, it is one thing I have been wanting to try since my kids used to take it!
  • daddyzgurl
    Options
    I have been fighting TaeKwonDo on and off for the past 20 years. I love it and there really is no better cardio.!!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    This is right up my alley! I've been investigating classes in my area for various martial arts and kickboxing. I actually think I have settled on the kickboxing as I find it rather empowering!

Istnlondry: don't worry about how you are viewed, as long as you are getting out there and participating you will be a great influence. Exercise should be FUN not something you do just to lose weight so go ahead and do whatever holds your interest. Im 41 as well and don't feel one bit uncomfortable about trying something new, I may come to really love it!
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 3-4 times a week. It's an intense workout and maybe too intimidating for some due to the live sparring, but if you find the right gym it's a great skill to have. I found a nice gym in Philadelphia. It has mixed ages, genders, and athletic abilities. It's a major part of my weight loss
  • SavannaN
    SavannaN Posts: 148
    Options
    I do Hapkido since it is all they offer at my school and is sooooo cheap!! I love it. I want ot get into Tae Kwon Do when I can, I think thats just what Im looking for!!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I started in 1974 in Okinawa. Very active up until a few years ago. Even had my own school for 7 years. I have studied many syles including Shorin-Ryu, Judo, Jiu Jitso, Tae Kwondo, Shotokan and Aikido, and feel qualified to give some advice.

Everyone will find a style that they believe to be the best, or at least to be the best for them. I believe that it is not the style that is so important as it is the Teacher. Find a good teacher and you will do well. When I say good, I don't necessarily mean his martial arts prowess. I mean his ability to reach his student.

Good Luck.