How to store fresh food?

Options
need tips on how to store fresh food????//

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I am also curious to know if anyone knows any storage bags or containers that keep vegetables and fruit fresh longer? I've heard the green bags aren't that great, and I don't really want to invest in a Food Saver.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You can freeze breads and some fruit/veggie. But mostly your just going to have to use it fast and buy as you need it so not to waste.
  • cheangela
    Options
    I'm a fan of lightly steaming then freezing fresh veg that I know I'm not going to consume them before they go to mush. I usually blend the fruits and make smoothies for the freezer for easy breakfast solutions (I just have to remember to put one in the fridge to thaw the night before :-)).
  • adpape
    Options
    Tuppeware has these containers that work awesome. We live in the north so our produce has to last 2-3 weeks and these do the trick. I think the 4 pack was CAD$80 but so worth it! Comes with 4 different sizes. I have been very happy with them.

I find the green bags don't store well at all. We would keep our bananas in them and found that the peel would not ripen but the inside would be over ripe. Just my experience.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I keep everything in the fridge except banana's they go funny. I find everything lasts twice as long as left out. I take out a few peives of fruit every couple of days for the fruit bowl for the kids but that's about it.
  • aeevr
    aeevr Posts: 34
    Options
    Depends on the item. Different types of produce have different methods. Just use google.

For salad greens I put a slightly moistened paper towel in the storage bag and squeeze out the air. They stay really fresh like that for over a week.
  • txdoll69
    Options
    thanks all are good ideals, oh and the food saver had one and it was great!!!!!!!!!!! i plan on getting another great for meats and well just everything!!!!